AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 01-04-2020, 07:26 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samac View Post
Thanks for the post, Soundmig. That is very helpful, especially in regards to the Node 2i and Gumby.

I keep vacillating between getting a Gumby or Vidar (or different amp) next.

Cheers,

Scott
Get both. Or rather, get a Bifrost 2, which is a true multibit DAC that uses Schiit's proprietary new "Unison" USB specification. Jason Stoddard says Bifrost 2 is damn near an Yggy for $699. Then pick up a Vidar new or used...all for ~approximately the price of Gumby alone.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Get both. Or rather, get a Bifrost 2, which is a true multibit DAC that uses Schiit's proprietary new "Unison" USB specification. Jason Stoddard says Bifrost 2 is damn near an Yggy for $699. Then pick up a Vidar new or used...all for ~approximately the price of Gumby alone.
Thanks, I may just go that route. Although I don’t use USB so the Unison feature won’t get utilized.

It will be interesting. With the Node 2 and the NAD amp my system probably leans just to the warm side of neutral, which I prefer. From what I gather the original Gumby and Bimby were both on the warm side of neutral. But from user impressions it sounds like Gumby A2 and Bifrost 2 are more straight neutral.

Then I’ve got the angle of should I go for the Yggy GS. That is very tempting as well.

I guess I could drive myself nuts with this.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 01-05-2020, 07:34 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Thanks, I may just go that route. Although I don’t use USB so the Unison feature won’t get utilized.

It will be interesting. With the Node 2 and the NAD amp my system probably leans just to the warm side of neutral, which I prefer. From what I gather the original Gumby and Bimby were both on the warm side of neutral. But from user impressions it sounds like Gumby A2 and Bifrost 2 are more straight neutral.

Then I’ve got the angle of should I go for the Yggy GS. That is very tempting as well.

Cheers,

Scott
Here's my take on it: don't drive yourself nuts with it.

Just get something good to get started with for now. If it were me, I'd get 1) a very good DAC and 2) a very good amp. Some folks tend to underplay the importance of the power amp. They shouldn't.

Some folks, to this day, think all power amps "sound the same". They don't.

I've heard Schiit systems with the Freya+ pre and Vidar at good audio shows with Salk floorstanders and they sound outstanding.

I know its easy to fall prey to the classic audiophile merry-go-round of upgrading components. "Should I upgrade my Schiznit pre to the new Schiznit-nit SE?", followed by much reflection and likely some consternation. If that's part of the motivation of the hobby for some guys, that's cool, I'm fine with that*.

But that's not me. I don't want to think about gear. I want to enjoy a compelling, beguiling and engaging experience of listening to...music.

My recommendation? Get a Bifrost 2 and a Vidar and call it day.

*– In my experience you'll obtain notably more audio performance per dollar invested and have a more compelling, enjoyable, and engaging listening experience by upgrading your power cabling and distributor with some affordable Shunyata gear than upgrading your Schiz-nit pre to the Schiz-nit Ultimate Reference Signature Platinum SE.

Cheers.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 01-05-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:20 PM

You brought me back from the edge, thanks. I guess I’ll always be a recovering audiophile. And you know what, that’s what I’m going to do; Get the Bifrost 2 and Vidar.

I know I seem a bit flaky but it’s been more than a few rough years of very mediocre sound. So when I added the Freya S to my old NAD I got a bunch of that good sound back that I had a long time ago, well, I nearly fell back into the rabbit hole.

I’ll keep you posted. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 01-05-2020, 09:52 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:

You brought me back from the edge, thanks. I guess I’ll always be a recovering audiophile. And you know what, that’s what I’m going to do; Get the Bifrost 2 and Vidar.

I know I seem a bit flaky but it’s been more than a few rough years of very mediocre sound. So when I added the Freya S to my old NAD I got a bunch of that good sound back that I had a long time ago, well, I nearly fell back into the rabbit hole.

I’ll keep you posted. Thanks again.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 01-30-2020, 02:45 PM

I’ve had the Freya S for about six weeks now. That should put me well past the honeymoon/new toy phase and I am as pleased with it now as I was when I first received it.

The Freya S has made my system sound bigger, clearer, smoother. Which gives a naturalness and ease to the music. Anyone considering the Freya S I can recommend it without reservation. It is one sweet preamplifier.

I hope to add the Vidar amp soon. While I look forward to that, it’s nice to be able to enjoy the system so much in the meantime.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 05-30-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Cheers,

Scott
Hi I am new here and value your opinions in my quest for an enhanced audio experience.

I am looking to get a Schiit Freya or Saga + both tube versions to connect to a Blusound node 2 or 2i. Has anyone used this combination for a significant audio upgrade? Hows the experience for streaming this way pl. By the way I will be connecting the Schiit Freya or Saga + to my power amp XTZ A 2 300 150 watt Class D as well. It has a gain control. Currently am having Klipsch RP 6000f fronts; and centre two 10inched Klipsch subs and a Marantz UD 7007 CD and SACD/ Blueray player along with Jamo surround and front height speakers. I have an Onkyo RZ 830 AVR which has a built in Tidal function which decodes MQA. However thinking if the Schiit plus Bluesound node will give a better listening feel, with some tube refinement and airiness while having good clarity, soundstage and bass punch. If it does then I will use my Onkyo for movies and my streaming and CD listening with Schiit Bluesound and XTZ power amp. By the way does Saga + or Freya + yield better returns? I have never ventured into tubes before but am always drawn to it.

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks
Old 05-30-2020, 05:56 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Ram18... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 05-30-2020, 08:50 PM

Thanks Master Lu.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram18 View Post
Hi I am new here and value your opinions in my quest for an enhanced audio experience.

I am looking to get a Schiit Freya or Saga + both tube versions to connect to a Blusound node 2 or 2i. Has anyone used this combination for a significant audio upgrade? Hows the experience for streaming this way pl. By the way I will be connecting the Schiit Freya or Saga + to my power amp XTZ A 2 300 150 watt Class D as well. It has a gain control. Currently am having Klipsch RP 6000f fronts; and centre two 10inched Klipsch subs and a Marantz UD 7007 CD and SACD/ Blueray player along with Jamo surround and front height speakers. I have an Onkyo RZ 830 AVR which has a built in Tidal function which decodes MQA. However thinking if the Schiit plus Bluesound node will give a better listening feel, with some tube refinement and airiness while having good clarity, soundstage and bass punch. If it does then I will use my Onkyo for movies and my streaming and CD listening with Schiit Bluesound and XTZ power amp. By the way does Saga + or Freya + yield better returns? I have never ventured into tubes before but am always drawn to it.

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks
I use a Bluesound Node 2i feeding a Schiit Gungnir MB DAC and it sounds very very good. At one point I fed that combo to a Freya and it worked out well.
I've not heard the Freya+ or the Saga+ but I found that the Freya, while good sounding, was not up to par of the SQ I was shooting for. If you can swing a few more bucks track down the Quicksilver Line Stage (non remote version). Note: QS makes a remote control line stage but it is a different circuit and does not sound as good. I would have that pre-amp (QS Line Stage), except that it doesn't have a remote! So I purchased a used Parasound SC2 that is much better sounding than the Freya but no quite as good as the QS Line Stage (IMO). Schiit makes great gear, but I've not been overly impressed by their pre-amps thus far. DAC's are serious contenders, and the Aegir amp (used as monoblocks) can deliver the goods if you're speakers are fairly easy to drive. Maybe the + upgrades of the pre-amps bring the pre-amps up to snuff? I don't know as I've not heard them yet.