AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 01-04-2016, 09:59 AM

Default Significance of 20A to 15A cables

A question for Grant. With your North American power products having 20A IEC's and the majority of customers only having 15A service at home I suspect you have to make up a lot of 20A to 15A cords. Since some of your cables aren't exactly cheap and replacing can be a financial problem if one purchases a 20A to 15A cable and then either moves to a place that has 20A service or simply upgrades to 20A at home are your 20 to 15 cords still safely capable of supplying the full 20A potential of the product when connected to 20A or are they permanently locked at 15A because of the 15A AC plug? I'm thinking current limitation is a property of the cable not the connector and the connector plays little to no relevance in this situation but just wanted to confirm.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2016, 10:27 AM

The 15A rating of an outlet or connector is a safety feature that prevents connection from a 20A device to 15A service, essentially. The 15A male connectors or 15A rated outlets can and do pass more than 15A in cases where that would be called for. We recommend 20A rated breakers for larger systems. The answer is yes, a 15A rated male AC end or 15A rated outlet can deliver 20A service from a corresponding 20A rated breaker. Thanks, Rod. Hope this is of some help.

Grant
Old 01-04-2016, 10:45 AM
Audio,Trains & Mustangs

Keep in mind most of the time your system is not drawing max current and will operate safely within the limits of a 15 or 20 amp circuit. A less expensive way to solve your dilemma is to change the wall receptacle (make sure you will not exceed its limits). The advantage of a 20a circuit is the wire size which is larger than 15a requirements.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdelahanty View Post
Keep in mind most of the time your system is not drawing max current and will operate safely within the limits of a 15 or 20 amp circuit. A less expensive way to solve your dilemma is to change the wall receptacle (make sure you will not exceed its limits). The advantage of a 20a circuit is the wire size which is larger than 15a requirements.
Please make sure your wiring is 12AWG or larger if you simply replace a 15A receptacle with a 20A receptacle.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantS View Post
The 15A rating of an outlet or connector is a safety feature that prevents connection from a 20A device to 15A service, essentially. The 15A male connectors or 15A rated outlets can and do pass more than 15A in cases where that would be called for. We recommend 20A rated breakers for larger systems. The answer is yes, a 15A rated male AC end or 15A rated outlet can deliver 20A service from a corresponding 20A rated breaker. Thanks, Rod. Hope this is of some help.

Grant
Thanks Grant.

So yes assuming taking an already made 20 to 15 cord and using it in a fully and properly installed 20A room, like you mention with 20A breakers with proper wiring, 12AWG or larger as Cohibaman points out with either a 15A receptacle or one of the 20/15 combo units I would safely be able to tap the full 20A limit of the power units.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:17 PM

In my mind, the 20 amp female (flat pins) provides a much better connection than the 15 amp counterpart. My Cambridge-Audio 840W amps come with a 20 amp male socket, but other than the Shunyata power conditioners, no other gear has had that connector. I wish you could get that as an option, like color.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
In my mind, the 20 amp female (flat pins) provides a much better connection than the 15 amp counterpart. My Cambridge-Audio 840W amps come with a 20 amp male socket, but other than the Shunyata power conditioners, no other gear has had that connector. I wish you could get that as an option, like color.
ARC does on all their equipment. Always has.