AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 09-02-2014, 10:26 AM

Default I am buidling new analog system

Hi,
I think most members here see me as veteran in this hobby.
but regarding analog front end, I am novice. I have hundreds of records
from 60's-80's from dad's collection. But I didn't have a player to play them.
Last year, I built a simple system in order to play my dad's records and also
my own.
They're Denon 100 Anniversary TT with cartridge, Furutech AG12 phono cable, Moon 310+320 phono stage feeding by JPS Aluminata, and Acrolink 7N 2090 XLR to preamp.
Now, realize how beautiful analog sound is, and realize that my analog front end is well below the std. of my entire system. I want to build it from the
ground up. new TT, cartridge, phono preamp. Where shall I start ? I don't know where to start.
I think a TT+arm in $30,000 is a starting point, then $10,000 phono stage, and $2000 MC cartridge. how does this sound ?
I like VPI Classic Direct TT as a direct drive sounds more simple and this is
a very good direct drive one. Phono stage should be solid-state, as I am busy enough taking care of my pre amp's 12 tubes, may be Moon 610LP, Pass 25, Burmester, Accuphase 27, something like that. For Cartridge, absolutely no idea. A friend is offering his used Ortofon SPU Spirit limited 500 piece in Japan only.
This project could start in 2015.

And as a piece by piece upgrade, what should be the first one ? that will make more profound improvements between phono stage or TT+cartridge combo ? consider what I have now.

Toga
Old 09-02-2014, 11:07 AM

Toga... Start with the cart & then find your horse. When it comes to building systems, you have the gold finger & certainly know how to make a statement.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:43 AM

Toga,

You certainly don't do things half way. I''m sure you're going to build an excellent table that will make you forget your Accuphase player. At that price point, you have plenty of options available. VPI makes some beautiful table and the directdrive is superb. Avid and Clearaudio make also great products.

I'm sure other will help you more thank I as I have no experience high end tables. However, I agree with Xuxa and I would put a little more budget on the cart maybe go up to $5k. Accuphase makes a cart but I never heard it and I don't know how it compares. Lyra and Koetsu are highly rated here.

Since you are close to Japan, you have access to one of the largest market for carts.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:55 AM

Hello there, I have to sell Denon as a complete set, that means I have to get new TT/arm/cart together at the same time. Yes I should find nice Japanese cart from Japan. Find TT locally, if you said Classic Direct is over the top, the I may Choose something else. And I can use Moon 310+320 for one more year and Accuphase C27 should replace it. Toga

With little knowledge in this I really don't know how to set budget.
May be something so simple such as Rega Rp8 might be good enough. I like Thorens 2035. And Clear Audio Innovation Compact too.
Digital will still be my primary source as new records are costly, used ones are limited in music choices.

Last edited by TOGA; 09-02-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:33 PM

For that kind of money, I would start with a Lyra Atlas, ARV Ref Phono2, and $20,000 table, perhaps a Clearaudio or Basis 2500.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:14 PM

Agree that you should start with your cart. Though my system is VERY much more earth-bound, I still find that $2K falls well before the point of diminishing returns in cartridges. A 2K cart will be completely outclassed by the other gear at the prices you've listed -- a 2K cart is very good, but not great. You need to start looking at the top-tier cartridges over $8K, adjusting the other components downwards as necessary. E.g. 10K phono, 10K cart and 15-20K TT/arm is not unreasonable.

In my analog system I used up the funds before I got to phono stage, and I wouldn't recommend cheaping-out there either! I've found some excellent attributes (and very good overall sound) in various stages around $3K (e.g. Hagerman Trumpet w/ 1131 SUT, Rogue Ares w/ 1131 SUT, Sonic Frontiers Phono 1 SE+), but none of them quite bring it all together to a degree the upstream analog gear is capable of.

Last edited by mulveling; 09-02-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:23 PM

Any good web site for analog newbies ?
I want to know what are VTA, anti skate, azimuth adjustments.
What are the diff. Between shorter and longer tonearm.

I should prepare budget for an effective record cleaner machine too.

Thanks for advises.
Toga
Old 09-02-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Hi,
I think most members here see me as veteran in this hobby.
but regarding analog front end, I am novice. I have hundreds of records
from 60's-80's from dad's collection. But I didn't have a player to play them.
Last year, I built a simple system in order to play my dad's records and also
my own.
They're Denon 100 Anniversary TT with cartridge, Furutech AG12 phono cable, Moon 310+320 phono stage feeding by JPS Aluminata, and Acrolink 7N 2090 XLR to preamp.
Now, realize how beautiful analog sound is, and realize that my analog front end is well below the std. of my entire system. I want to build it from the
ground up. new TT, cartridge, phono preamp. Where shall I start ? I don't know where to start.
I think a TT+arm in $30,000 is a starting point, then $10,000 phono stage, and $2000 MC cartridge. how does this sound ?
I like VPI Classic Direct TT as a direct drive sounds more simple and this is
a very good direct drive one. Phono stage should be solid-state, as I am busy enough taking care of my pre amp's 12 tubes, may be Moon 610LP, Pass 25, Burmester, Accuphase 27, something like that. For Cartridge, absolutely no idea. A friend is offering his used Ortofon SPU Spirit limited 500 piece in Japan only.
This project could start in 2015.

And as a piece by piece upgrade, what should be the first one ? that will make more profound improvements between phono stage or TT+cartridge combo ? consider what I have now.

Toga
My advice would be to buy more phono stage and less table. You can get an excellent TT and arm for $20k. I would step up the spend on the phono stage (where $15 - 20K) will get you some outstanding tables. The cartridge is important to your ears, not necessarily the price (IMO over $2K mark).

B
Old 09-02-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGA View Post
Any good web site for analog newbies ?
I want to know what are VTA, anti skate, azimuth adjustments.
What are the diff. Between shorter and longer tonearm.

I should prepare budget for an effective record cleaner machine too.

Thanks for advises.
Toga
Here are some good references to get you started on your quest:

The Audio Beat - Analog 101, underwritten by VPI Industries
Set-Up Tips | Analog Planet
Lloyd Walker on Fine Tuning Your Turntable | Walker Audio

Hope that these help!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:58 PM

Well.
At this point. It seems the most important things for me is to learn more. A lot more. Before paying big money.
I do may be 98% digital and 2 % analog listening. That 's the reason my first analog system was so average.
I still prefer solid state Phono preamp, I already have tube preamp, don't wanna add more tubes noise, tube cost to the
Equation.
On a second thought, if I keep Denon 100 Anniversary TT, Moon 310+320. How far I can go with the cartridge before
It exceed the capability of TT and phono stage ?
I will check the web sites, thank you.

Toga