AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Focal Speakers

Focal Speakers The Spirit of Sound

Old 10-06-2018, 01:11 PM

Default Focal Center Speakers

Hi guys,

As I am waiting for my Scala V2's I have been looking to buy a Center speaker. I can not understand what the difference is between the Sopra and Electra Center speakers. Can someone please point it out to me? Would any of those work well with the Scalas? Unfortunately, I can not afford the Utopia Center...
Are there any other Center speakers that I should consider besides those two?

Thank you!

Last edited by Killergurt; 10-07-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:25 AM

From what I've heard, there is absolutely no performance differences between the Electra and Sopra center channel speakers other than a small cabinet redesign. The performance specs are exactly the same. The Sopra end panels are radiused versus sharper edges on the Electra. My guess is that they're basically the same speaker and the Electra line is being discontinued. I've heard an all Electra home theater system with the CC1008Be and the results were impressive. Crystal clear vocals with excellent tone. I mostly watched and listened to concerts on DVD with DTS Master Audio and I think they'd intrgrate fine with your new Scalas. If you have a local dealer, they might allow you to audition the center channel in your home system.

Last edited by jayvis; 10-07-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:34 AM

I just looked and they do appear identical, which seems odd. What rears are you planning to use?

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player
Old 10-07-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpaf76 View Post
I just looked and they do appear identical, which seems odd. What rears are you planning to use?
I use a pair of Klipsch RP-250S speakers.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:14 PM

Honestly I would at least try the Scalas by themselves, you'll be surprised how Surround decoded to stereo sounds on speakers like those. My Sopras throw sound all over the place and have a locked in center image also. People ask me where my center speaker is, and how the sound comes from behind them with no speakers. The soundstage has height , width and depth that appears to expand well beyond the front wall and reaches behind you.

Audio research LS28SE preamplifier, Aurender N10 Streamer, Topping D90 DAC, McIntosh MC462 amplifier. Focal Sopra 3 speakers. Salamander Archetype rack, Symposium Acoustics Segue shelves, Silver Eclipse 7 XLRs, Shunyata Everest power conditioner, Alpha V2, Delta V2 and Venom V2 10/12 power cords, and Audioquest Oak speaker cables. GIK Acoustic's bass soffits and 244 bass trap Art panels room treatments. Sony XBR75X900e 4K TV and Sony UBP-X800 Blu-ray player
Old 10-07-2018, 05:40 PM

This is what I would do the next time I buy some expensive mains. Wish I would have done that with my Salon 2’s
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 10-07-2018, 07:26 PM

I think anything not tonally matched and on par in quality with the Scalas would risk watering down the sound quality.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:01 PM

Just to make it clear, I am looking to add a Center speaker for a home theater application, I will not be using it to listen to music.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:29 PM

I figured that, I meant for both applications, that's how I use mine. Just figured would be an option to try, you will have the speakers.
It's fun to go to the YouTube atmos demos and show people, they are amazed what's happening from 2 speakers.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:39 PM

Not trying to tell you what to do, just offering my opinion of another option, that would be free.