AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 08-14-2017, 11:02 AM
McKlipschead

There's an MC452 that is 3 months old in the AA Marketplace for $6150, guaranteed refund if not as described. Just sayin'...
Old 08-14-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardallred View Post

My 501's before I upgraded

Attachment 51543
Richard thats a great looking room.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDPDK View Post
Richard thats a great looking room.
I really like how Richard felt it was necessary to include his crotch in the photo
Old 08-14-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueoak View Post
I really like how Richard felt it was necessary to include his crotch in the photo

THAT's what you noticed in the pic? Not the speakers or the amps, but his crotch?
Old 08-14-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post
THAT's what you noticed in the pic? Not the speakers or the amps, but his crotch?

You guys are too funny, it's a old picture, lots of changes since then. I will post updated photos in proper thread. I just wanted to show my old 501s.

Both the mc 501,s and the Levi 501,s

Lol

R
Old 08-14-2017, 05:15 PM

Some time ago I enjoyed a pair of 501 monoblocks with MDA/MCD1000 combo and was playing around plugging in many different preamps like the C46, C500, Lamm, Ayre and a few others. The 501s paired up beautifully with all of them and were able to resolve the differences in flavor that exist between different components. If you are going for the C1000 preamp, the 501s would have great synergy for sure. Having listened to the newer McIntosh amps, I would say the 501s have a slightly more classic sound that is more laid back with the 601s and 452 having a slightly more resolving capability and transparency but the difference is not huge.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:10 PM

Come on, someone offer to sell me some 501's Masterlu probably has a bunch laying around. I do have a pair "on the line" so to speak...but...the guy doesn't have the original boxes and lives a 9 hour straight drive (each way) from me and on top of that I wouldn't want to pay his asking price without boxes to protect myself in the future in case I do eventually sell and move up to 601....so.... NO to the 452 because I'm just dead set on 2 amps. NO to the 601 because of the $ although I have a line on a pair from a guy I have done business with in the past for a very reasonable price, I just can't commit the $ to the 601.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDog View Post
Come on, someone offer to sell me some 501's Masterlu probably has a bunch laying around. I do have a pair "on the line" so to speak...but...the guy doesn't have the original boxes and lives a 9 hour straight drive (each way) from me and on top of that I wouldn't want to pay his asking price without boxes to protect myself in the future in case I do eventually sell and move up to 601....so.... NO to the 452 because I'm just dead set on 2 amps. NO to the 601 because of the $ although I have a line on a pair from a guy I have done business with in the past for a very reasonable price, I just can't commit the $ to the 601.

If this post is against any rules please disregard, and accept my apology

R

Last edited by Masterlu; 08-14-2017 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Selling on the open forum is not permitted, sorry.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:00 PM

Come on, someone sell me a pair of 501. Masterlu probably has a stash of them somewhere? The 601 is completely out of consideration due to $ and the 452 is too much $ as well as stereo only so therefore out of consideration. I have a pair "on the line" for about the max of my budget..BUT...the seller doesn't have the boxes AND I'd have to either arrange and pay for boxes plus freight shipping OR drive 9 hours each way to pick them up, in which case I'd still need to purchase boxes in case I decided to sell them in the future.
Personal problems I guess. LOL
Old 08-14-2017, 08:10 PM

Patience is your friend! 501's come for sale fairly frequently, and waiting can pay real dividends.
These are not yet at a point where the price is increasing over time, and that's not likely to happen anytime soon.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v