AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 01-19-2020, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilson51 View Post
When I was talking to Dennis he said the LP-3.1 was not bias for 6SL7’s,I need to ask him what other tubes can I use with the preamp,it came with 2 6sn7 ‘s 1 6bx7 and 1 5y3.I think I am done buying 6sn7 tubes off eBay unless new in box.
Do ask Dennis. The tube types the pre came with are likely the preferred combo. It may be able to use a 6BL7 but with Khorns you don't need more gain. What amp(s) are you using?

The supply of quality old production 6SN7's is pretty small. I have been using the Shuguang, Full Music and Psvane tubes and they simply sound better than old production tubes. If the new production Tung Sol's are working for you epay has become a real tube crap shoot.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
The TJ Full Music 6SN7's are quite good too. The pricey Sophia Blue 6SN7 & 6SL7's are outstanding. As always..YMMV.
---------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Yo, this morning I reached out to the TJFM factory and the largest distributor for them to see if they are continuing to manufacture the N7s or not. What's odd is the TJFM factory still has them listed on their mfg site yet DIYHiFi Supply has only one pair left and GD-Parts no longer lists the N7s. Glad I grabbed that last quad for spares. I DO like them better than my 1965 Sylvania long Black Plate 6SN7s and they absolutely blow away my EH and Tung Sol 6SN7s for my Cary SLP-98 preamp.

Wondering if they are focusing more on making them for Sophia and Northern Electric or just stopping N7/L7 smaller production tubes all together like we thought.

-------------------------------------
All, BTW: "Tube-Enabler" FloridaBoy convinced me to try these lower-production boutique TJ FM 6SN7 tubes and they are great, more musical than my NOS black plates. Be careful if you buy any leftovers, only a few like GD Parts and DIY pack them well. Some of the failures were due to lousy packing/shipping we think.

Updates -

TJ Full Music:
Re-Confirmed. Owner passed away as we heard. As a result, apparently a decision was made by those leading now that 6SN7, 12AU7, some of the other small tubes would no longer being produced. Gotta reply from the factory yesterday. And, a reply from their former largest distributor GD-Parts, today. Checked with factory, and top two distributors in case I needed to buy more leftover supply. The distributor mentioned some of the former TJ Full Music mfg equipment was going to PSVANE, as we heard before, so apparently that's going on. Very little TJFM 12Axx and 6SN7s left, drying up but some of the larger tubes "may still be prouduced", UNCONFIRMED. Former website link still up and old story about owner fwiw: http://www.tube-fullmusic.com/company/e-company.htm

Shuguang, Fire last August 2019?:
Fire at Shuguang factory reported over on SteveHoffman site on Dec 22. It notes the factory may not be permitted to rebuild or produce tubes in the same location next 18 months. Possibly another building and different location required. A prior TJFM distributor mentioned to me via an eBay message reply that Shuguang may not be producing tubes "for up to 2 years". More over on SteveHoffman site and QRZ site here: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thr...t-down.685231/

This kinda leaves NOS for both vintage and leftover TJFM 6sn7s, and of course PSVANE for Chinese 6SN7 and some of the smaller 12AXX tubes. And, the Russian 6SN7s of course. Kinda puts PSVANE in an interesting position IF all of this is in fact the actual situation. Maybe this will force some new options to pop up in a few years in any case.

Last edited by decooney; 01-19-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:11 PM

Default recap

dup, deleted

Last edited by decooney; 01-19-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:05 PM

I don't know who makes the Sophia Blue tubes but it can't be TJ. The previous Sophia tubes were made by TJ.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBoy View Post
Do ask Dennis. The tube types the pre came with are likely the preferred combo. It may be able to use a 6BL7 but with Khorns you don't need more gain. What amp(s) are you using?

The supply of quality old production 6SN7's is pretty small. I have been using the Shuguang, Full Music and Psvane tubes and they simply sound better than old production tubes. If the new production Tung Sol's are working for you epay has become a real tube crap shoot.
I have used an Inspire SEP Amp,Bob Carver vta-20 and Primaluna evo-300,my Klipschorns are modded with Volti horns,bms4592 mids ,Volti Vtk-400 crossovers, ct-120 tweeters and rewired with western electric wires.I might try some of the 6sn7 tubes from China,but I am liking what I hear now .
Old 01-20-2020, 01:11 PM

Liking what you hear is all that matters.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:03 PM

Does anyone know the difference between the LP 3.1 and the LP 3.1a? I own the LP 3.1 and was wondering what upgrades where made to the 3.1a. Thanks
Old 01-27-2020, 04:12 PM

Dennis just updated my LP-3A to a LP-3.1 on 12/19 ,where did you sell a LP-3.1a.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
bwilson51, was the SLP98 stock or do you recall what upgrades and which 67SN7 tubes you ran in yours?

How do you like the sound of your lp-3.1 ,I am really liking mine.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:38 AM

I like it very much. I also own the LP27 which to me has a similar sonic signature. Maybe a tad bit warmer. The 3.1 is a very articulate amp and I enjoy the detail and image clarity. Prior to owning these two preamps. My best sounding preamp was a rebuilt MX-110z, no slouch in the imaging department.