AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 06-18-2018, 10:41 PM

Default Accuphase line/phono stages

HI all,
Now that ill health seems to be resolved and new room built, it’s time to scratch an Accuphase itch.
Partly driven by the fact that my current Sonus Fabre Olympica 3’s are a tad oversized for my new room, I’m headed towards standmounts. Almost certainly the TAD CE-1’s. I have heard these driven by an Accuphase A70 and liked the combo , a lot. So I’ll move on my ARC ref 150 I think , to the A70.
My question pertains to the quality of the Accuphase line and phono stages ( currently I have a ARC ref5SE and a ref phono2). I like these and am in no screaming hurry to change. But I’m also a believer in the concept of a house sound. How capable are the Accuphase pre’s and phono stage? In other words, will an all Accuphase system outperform my current gear?
Thanks as always, everyone
CHeers
Kevin
Old 06-19-2018, 01:07 AM

Hi Kevin

I’m a recent Accuphase convert. I went from E-270 to
C2450/ A36 to
C2850/A47

In my opinion the real magic is n their preamps. The C2850 is the best single purchase I have ever made in all my years in this hobby.

I thought the C2450 was fantastic and then my dealer lent me the 2850 and I bought it immediately despite its crazy cost but knew I couldn’t live without it.

The jump in power amps was noticeable and I had a chance to compare the 46 to the 70 but my speakers and room size didn’t warrant the extra expense and the sonic improvements was negligible.

The preamp was the complete opposite. I had my heart set on a REF 6 and nearly pulled the trigger but compared to the C2450 it sounded tonally incorrect and larger than life.

I can’t imagine you would be unhappy with an Accuphase preamp.

Accuphase finally got me off the Hi-Fi merry go round.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:09 AM

Haven’t heard the arc’s you mention, but I have the accuphase c-3800 and the current phono pre, and they are awesome. I use them with my dual a-200s and TAD CR-1s and couldn’t be happier. An all accuphase system is just a joy to my ear.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:45 AM

Dsholl1, Weirdcuba
Thanks so much for the reply. I've lived with ARC for years now and I'm very used to their "house sound"; love the tubes. But I was so taken with the A70 and TAD CE1 combo it got we thinking about a full Accuphase system. I'm especially interested in your opinion of the C37, Weirdcuba. My ARC ref 2 is very very good but I suspect there would be significant synergy with say a c3800 and c37. And the comparison between ref6 and C2450 is also very relevant- I'm contemplating a similar move.Thanks to the both of you for replying.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:38 PM

Kevin..
For almost a year now I've had the privileged of owning a A-70 used in conjunction with a C-3850 and a C-37 phono and others. If you think the A-70 was captivating by itself..with a Accuphase Pre it will make beautiful music together. I would describe the Accuphase "sound" as detailed, warm and very accurate, without a hint of edge or glare. Its very organic..with a mid-range to die for!
You will not be disappointed with the complete loom of Accuphase..GO FOR IT!
Old 06-19-2018, 01:00 PM

I love the c-37. It replaced an esoteric E-03 and there was no comparison to my ear (and there is likely a great synergy with the other accuphase components, so perhaps not a fair comparison).

The break in was a total pain. It was almost unlistenable at first, but after 100 or so hours, it’s awesome. I had to buy one of those break in CDs to speed the process. Now, it’s just magic.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
I love the c-37. It replaced an esoteric E-03 and there was no comparison to my ear (and there is likely a great synergy with the other accuphase components, so perhaps not a fair comparison).

The break in was a total pain. It was almost unlistenable at first, but after 100 or so hours, it’s awesome. I had to buy one of those break in CDs to speed the process. Now, it’s just magic.
Weirdcuba...I had a similar experience with my C-37.. it took a while for it to settle in but once a little time was on it the musical magic was well worth the wait. Smooth and accurate without any major areas to really fault. At minimum, it's as good as it's nearest competition. Works magic in an all Accuphase system.

Last edited by Canonicus; 06-19-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:17 PM

I had not spun any vinyl in several days, but all of this talk reminded me of the joy that was just sitting there. So, I cranked it up and it is sublime.

The c-37 is fantastic with other accuphase components. Definitely a force multiplier.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:59 PM

I own the C-37 phono stage and as other have mentioned, after painful break in - it sounds superb.
3 inputs with memory and 100k loading for MM is icing on the cake.

I sold my Pass XP-25 and Esoteric E-03 after buying the C-37.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:55 PM

That’s a good recommendation.
Can you say how many records/hours it took before you started to enjoy the C37?