AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Technical Info & Troubleshooting

Technical Info & Troubleshooting Learn from the Pro's

Old 03-24-2014, 05:42 PM

I would love if he could have a look and tell me if this is the same issue here.

Interesting about the 300B, I'd love to hear one someday. Which brand does he own ?
Old 03-24-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop

I'm exchanging mails with Manley. As much as I believe that I'm having bad luck at this moment, I'm not sure that I strike 3 full sets of bad tubes. I had this happening with the Psvane (right block), Winged C (left block) and Tung Sol (left block).

I knew that the Tung Sol were not in shape because of the buzz I had but I was far from thinking that this would happen. I'm starting to thing that maybe something is failing inside the block and I prefer to have it checked out before I spend more money on tubes. I almost bought the JJ last night but decided to wait...

I'd love to come and hear the Harbeth if you're not busy. I should finish early on Wednesday if that works for you
I understand Georges. Maybe that the best solution is to have them checked.
Hopefully, the french importer, Juke Box, in Saint Denis, has a great tech service. I bought the amps directly from them. Maybe you can talk over the phone with Cedric ( forgot to send you his number BTW : will do now ). Did you get an answer from EveAnna ?
You also changed the small driver tubes right ?

Living with those amps for more than 2 years without any trouble, my bet is that your problem is tube related. Power tubes most surely but could also be the driver tubes. Of course I may be wrong and something inside could have a problem, but for both amps ???? I really do not believe in this.
A Tung Sol tube is bad, that is for sure.
PSVane ? At least two tubes are faulty for sure. I do not believe in them at all. I lost 800 euros with them. I just put their name outside of my universe.
The Winged C ? Well, NOS tubes like new tubes are subject to reliability problems.
All this is the price to pay with tube gear. Just look at the number of threads here related to problems with tubes. No matter the brand of amps / preamps. 95% of the time, all the problems in tube gear are related to tubes. I would guess that the probability to fall into the last 5% for BOTH amps is really low.

The 6 CA7 tubes I have come also with other input tubes.
Unfortunately, wednesday is our tough day of the week and leaves us exhausted and we get back home not before 08.30 pm. But thursday or saturday / sunday are fine. Anyway if you want to come wednesday early there is always someone at home so I can leave the box for you.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:03 AM

Thank you Jérôme. I got your text and I'll try to call them today. EveAnna has directed me to the support department and I've sent them a long email.

I agree that the probability of both amps failing is very low. I'm only suspicious of the left channel which has blown 3 fuses in 3 days with 2 sets of tubes.

I was quick to blame the Tung Sol but I believe they are still pretty new and they don't have a lot of hours on them. Winged C are NOS but the production has ended very recently so they are not really NOS.

There is something very wrong in my system, it may be the electricity, the amp or the tube. The driver could be the origin for the noise but I don't think it has anything to do with the fuse blowing up.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
But thursday or saturday / sunday are fine. Anyway if you want to come wednesday early there is always someone at home so I can leave the box for you.
All those days are fine for me. Let me know which you prefer.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:41 PM

The Tung Sol tube are definitively out of order at least one of them. The noise in the tweeter has switched side !

The new thing now is the static in both amps when I turn them on. Could be an issue with the driver tube.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:06 AM

Just a quick update. Manley has said that I should first retension the slots in the sockets.

I thought that was not a very good reply but I did it anyway and it's true that some were very wide leading to poor contact. I put a new fuse and reinstalled the Winged C.

I powered up and everything seemed fine but I still had that static noise in the left speaker though less loud than before. I decided to switch the driver tube and the static went to the right. So the NOS RCA 12AT7 is faulty, put back the original ones and no noise anymore!

I guess I had some kind of perfect storm on the left block between the faulty driver, the faulty Tung Sol and the out of shape sockets. The jury is still out on the status of the Winged C and if they are in good shape or not. I played them for two hours and they were perfect.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:22 AM

Very good news Georges.

Hope your troubles are over now.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:46 AM

Cooooooooool !

Hope I will be able to listen to the Ellipsa with the Snappers tonight !
Old 03-27-2014, 08:51 AM

Lucky guy Jèrôme.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma View Post
Very good news Georges.

Hope your troubles are over now.
I hope so. I'm glad I bought a pack of 20 fuses.

I'll order a kit of new JJ tubes as well in case something wrong happens again with the Winged C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Cooooooooool !

Hope I will be able to listen to the Ellipsa with the Snappers tonight !
Don't worry, we will have sound tonight !