AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 10-05-2018, 10:40 AM

Default MX122 vs Maratz AV8805 vs Marantz AV7705

I am finally pulling the trigger on my HT upgrade and going to separates. I am going to order the MC8207 for 7 channel amplification, but a bit stuck on the processor to choose from.

In keeping with all MC, the MX122 would be the ideal choice for me vs the much more expensive MX160. From what I have read, the MX122 is for the most part a rebranded Marantz for the HT aspect, for which I am most interested. 2 channel listening I am not much into (I run all channels when listening to music via SACD's, streaming, Airplay, etc), and from what I understand this is what pushes the Mac past any Marantz model? This would be my most expensive option, but I would be "one and done" in all McIntosh!

My cost saving thoughts then kick in, deciding to skip over the MX122, and go to Marantz - i.e. the AV8805 or AV7705. I don't really see me ever going past 11 channels, so I could save further dropping down from the AV8805 to the AV7705. They both seem to then share the Audyssey calibration, along with the MX122. This then leaves both of the Marantz options the same with the exception of the 13 channels vs 11? I am also not interested in adding zones to other rooms, etc with this as far as that goes.

I hope to make this purchase last for at least the 8-9 years I have waited to upgrade my current Pioneer Elite processor, and now seems ideal with all the new releases lately for beyond 7 channel decoding. I appreciate any feedback to assist in my final decision for the processor upgrade!

-Ryan
Old 10-11-2018, 12:17 AM

I think the MX122 and MX160 are near the end of life. You might get an awesome deal on either used when the new model gets announced. Or save some money and get the marantz preamp for now and pair it with the Mc8207 so it'll be less painful if you upgrade.

I bought a MX122, I was in the market for a marantz or denon. If I knew then what I know now I would have gotten the MX160. I didn't know much about a DAC then.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:37 AM

The 8805 really sounds better than the 77xx series.

Better analog output stages
Better DAC - multiple discrete AKM4490 (used in Esoteric K01/K03 etc) vs single multi channel 4458
Better volume control
- upgrade path to new HDMI board in 2019/2020

I'd also avoid the MX122.

If you really like music playback, other options to consider are
Arcam AV860
Old 10-11-2018, 01:39 PM

As an MX122 owner, I'm sad that I clicked on this thread. Having said that, I recently moved from an MX121 to the 122 along with my upgrade to 4K televisions in zone 1 and zone 2. I'm very happy with the decision to stick with McIntosh.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 10-11-2018, 02:42 PM

Hello,

I'm checking with my AV Dealer now on the New Marantz 8805.

I really like what I have read about it on multiple internet sites.

Terry

Mitsubishi New 16-Seer, 24,000 BTU Split-Unit ... for Heating/Cooling & Humidity control of Home Theater
Marantz Pre-Amp Processor: ... AV8805
Panasonic DP-UB9000 New ... HDR 4K UHD Blu-ray Player:
Roku: New ... 2022 Ultra HD-4K-HDR-Atmos Streaming Player
JVC RS4100 New ... Laser Projector
Lumagen Radiance Pro New ... 4242 18G Ultra HD Video Processor
Stewart Filmscreen: New ... Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 123" 16x9 W/4-Way Remote Masking
JML Speakers ... 2-JM Lab Utopia Mezzo Front, 2-Side Utopia, 2-Rear Mini Utopia
Focal Sopra ... Center Channel
Triad Atmos New ... 6 Triad Custom Repeat Gold 8 Mini Monitor Plus in-ceiling speakers W/Matching Flat Black Grills
SVS PB16-Ultra Subwoofers New ... 4 PB-16 ULTRA Subs
Transparent Speaker Cables ... Transparent TW Plus HP 10-2 W/Plus Bricks
Classe' Amps ... 2-CA201, 1-CAM-350, 2-CA-M400
ATI AT526NC New ... ATI AT526NC 6 Channel Amp for
6 Triad Atmos in-ceiling speakers
A/C Power New ... All Separate 20-Amp Circuits W/Dedicated Hospital Grade Receptacles
Richard Gray Power Conditioners New ...
1- RGPC-1200S, 9-RGPC-400S
Panamax MB1500 ... 2023 New 1500VA UPS Battery Backup for JVC RS4100 laser projector
Eaton ... Ultimate Home Surge Protection
CRITEC TDX100M New ... Modular Series Home Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor
HT Components/Gear Cooling ... 3-sets of Z-Fans, Cool-Stack I, Suncourt Variable Speed Thru Wall Fan
ATM ... Active Thermal Management Cool Stack 1 Exhaust Fan Assembly
Home Theater Component Mid Atlantic Rack ... Slide-Out 50" Track
Sanus CFR1620 ... Modular open-frame component rack with Middle Atlantic 4-Post H/D Shelves
Room Acoustic ... Acoustic Innovations panels
Seating ... Ekornes Stressless Wave
Rosco Velour Black 6003 ... 2-coats of Black primer.
Then 2-coats of Full-Strength Rosco #6003 UN-Diluted to complete Dedicated Home Theater
Area Shag Rug New ... Liliah Deep Black Low-Shag by Andover Mills 12' x 15' Rectangle Area-Rug
Custom Calibrated H/T New ... Chad Billheimer on September 4th 2023 did my JVC RS4100.
The results were 100% Totally Awesome I Highly recommend his services. https://www.hdtvbychadb.com/home-1.html
Old 10-11-2018, 04:11 PM
Media Server Aficionado

The Marantz is probably the most cost-effective way to go, but if you have a stack of blue meters as power, having that ugly port-hole just doesn't do it justice.

It almost drives one toward: if you don't need bells and whistles - SP3. If you need bells and whistles - SP4 (but then you are in MX16x $$ territory).
Old 10-11-2018, 04:53 PM

Great to get some feedback and thanks!! I am leaning towards Marantz, but still back and forth on the AV8805 vs AV7705. I know I will never use more than 11 channels and am having trouble justifying that the AV8805 would sound so much better at 2x the cost. I am also not the biggest fan of the blue port hole, but this will not be in view when my HT screen is down for movies. I also ran over the manuals and you can turn it on/off in the settings, which is nice. I'm still trying to get some free time to get to my local McIntosh dealer to get the MC8207 on order. They also sell Marantz, so I am hoping they maybe have one, or both of the Marantz models to compare to each other, and the MX122 that I know is there to make my final decision. It will be interesting in what they have to say as well being that they do sell both brands.

-Ryan
Old 10-11-2018, 05:12 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFTE View Post
Great to get some feedback and thanks!! I am leaning towards Marantz, but still back and forth on the AV8805 vs AV7705. I know I will never use more than 11 channels and am having trouble justifying that the AV8805 would sound so much better at 2x the cost. I am also not the biggest fan of the blue port hole, but this will not be in view when my HT screen is down for movies. I also ran over the manuals and you can turn it on/off in the settings, which is nice. I'm still trying to get some free time to get to my local McIntosh dealer to get the MC8207 on order. They also sell Marantz, so I am hoping they maybe have one, or both of the Marantz models to compare to each other, and the MX122 that I know is there to make my final decision. It will be interesting in what they have to say as well being that they do sell both brands.

-Ryan

If you listen in pure audio mode, all LEDs are dimmed.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-01-2018, 12:03 PM

Thumbs up

Well it is confirmed the Marantz AV8805 has officially been ordered.
It's waiting for the HT to be painted and drywall repairs 1st.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43539

Terry

Mitsubishi New 16-Seer, 24,000 BTU Split-Unit ... for Heating/Cooling & Humidity control of Home Theater
Marantz Pre-Amp Processor: ... AV8805
Panasonic DP-UB9000 New ... HDR 4K UHD Blu-ray Player:
Roku: New ... 2022 Ultra HD-4K-HDR-Atmos Streaming Player
JVC RS4100 New ... Laser Projector
Lumagen Radiance Pro New ... 4242 18G Ultra HD Video Processor
Stewart Filmscreen: New ... Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 123" 16x9 W/4-Way Remote Masking
JML Speakers ... 2-JM Lab Utopia Mezzo Front, 2-Side Utopia, 2-Rear Mini Utopia
Focal Sopra ... Center Channel
Triad Atmos New ... 6 Triad Custom Repeat Gold 8 Mini Monitor Plus in-ceiling speakers W/Matching Flat Black Grills
SVS PB16-Ultra Subwoofers New ... 4 PB-16 ULTRA Subs
Transparent Speaker Cables ... Transparent TW Plus HP 10-2 W/Plus Bricks
Classe' Amps ... 2-CA201, 1-CAM-350, 2-CA-M400
ATI AT526NC New ... ATI AT526NC 6 Channel Amp for
6 Triad Atmos in-ceiling speakers
A/C Power New ... All Separate 20-Amp Circuits W/Dedicated Hospital Grade Receptacles
Richard Gray Power Conditioners New ...
1- RGPC-1200S, 9-RGPC-400S
Panamax MB1500 ... 2023 New 1500VA UPS Battery Backup for JVC RS4100 laser projector
Eaton ... Ultimate Home Surge Protection
CRITEC TDX100M New ... Modular Series Home Transient Voltage Surge Suppressor
HT Components/Gear Cooling ... 3-sets of Z-Fans, Cool-Stack I, Suncourt Variable Speed Thru Wall Fan
ATM ... Active Thermal Management Cool Stack 1 Exhaust Fan Assembly
Home Theater Component Mid Atlantic Rack ... Slide-Out 50" Track
Sanus CFR1620 ... Modular open-frame component rack with Middle Atlantic 4-Post H/D Shelves
Room Acoustic ... Acoustic Innovations panels
Seating ... Ekornes Stressless Wave
Rosco Velour Black 6003 ... 2-coats of Black primer.
Then 2-coats of Full-Strength Rosco #6003 UN-Diluted to complete Dedicated Home Theater
Area Shag Rug New ... Liliah Deep Black Low-Shag by Andover Mills 12' x 15' Rectangle Area-Rug
Custom Calibrated H/T New ... Chad Billheimer on September 4th 2023 did my JVC RS4100.
The results were 100% Totally Awesome I Highly recommend his services. https://www.hdtvbychadb.com/home-1.html
Old 11-02-2018, 10:36 AM

My MC 8207 lasted 3 years before developing annoying hums. Lose a channel , lose the HT setup while repairs are going on. 2 Parasound A52+ a much better deal. Something happens with one you still have 5 channels.