AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-21-2019, 12:50 AM
ylee's Avatar
ylee ylee is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Haymarket, VA
Posts: 587
Default BP-2/PS-3 Phono Preamp/Power Supply

I've had a Rega RP-10 turntable, Grado Statement 2 cartridge, and Bryston BP-2 phono preamp powered by the PS-3 outboard power supply for about a year now (thanks Ivan!). I have to say this combination of gear provides very detailed, smooth, and musical sound quality for a reasonable price in today's audiophile terms.

The BP-2/PS-3 combo costs a mere $2750 total MSRP. I have to admit when Ivan recommended this I was a little skeptical. He assured me their performance would far exceed the expectation set by their price. Well sure enough, he's right! The power cord I have (WW Platinum Electra) powering them costs more than the BP-2/PS-3! The preamp does it's part to provide a highly revealing presentation of records. The other day, I was listening to a remastered Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon album which I had purchased without doing thorough research. The reviews for this particular record were highly positive, and indeed it does sound very good. But the thought hit me part way through the album - "hmmm, this sounds more digital than analog." Being curious if my ears and my system were telling me something I hadn't expected, I started looking into this particular remastering background. Sure enough, it was remastered in the digital domain. This is a sign of a great phono preamp. Revealing and highly truthful. I have no desire to spend more for a much more expensive preamp. At least not in the near future.
__________________
Primary System (Always in flux):
Analog Source: Rega RP10
Phono Preamp: Bryston BP2/PS3
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-21-2019, 07:25 AM
Formerly YB-2's Avatar
Formerly YB-2 Formerly YB-2 is offline
Retired

 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ Shore
Posts: 5,565
Default

There is nothing that Bryston has ever made that doesn't punch with the 'big names' (which one could argue, they have become). My only complaint is that Bryston does not offer a CDP that reads SACDs. I especially like their smaller form-factor gear.
__________________
Glenn...
Audeze LCD-3 Canton Ref 9K Clearaudio SM Pro Denon DP-80 w/Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cdza Blk & K-b, AT33R & AT150Ti Kenwood L-07M mono-blocks Mark Levinson No. 383 Oppo 203 Parasound JC3 jr PS Audio Ultimate Outlet Sony ST-J75 Stax UA-7/CF SurgeX XR-315 Woo WA6 Gen 1 WW Eclipse 8/7 Pt, Au, Ag, Starlight & Nano
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-21-2019, 07:12 PM
ylee's Avatar
ylee ylee is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Haymarket, VA
Posts: 587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
There is nothing that Bryston has ever made that doesn't punch with the 'big names' (which one could argue, they have become). My only complaint is that Bryston does not offer a CDP that reads SACDs. I especially like their smaller form-factor gear.
It does seem odd they won't offer SACD disk playback when their BDA-3 plays DSD via HDMI.
__________________
Primary System (Always in flux):
Analog Source: Rega RP10
Phono Preamp: Bryston BP2/PS3
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-22-2019, 07:26 AM
James Tanner - Bryston James Tanner - Bryston is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,609
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylee View Post
It does seem odd they won't offer SACD disk playback when their BDA-3 plays DSD via HDMI.
Hi Folks,

SACD requires a different circuit topology than Redbook CD. SACD Sample rate and BIT rate and Clocking are different.

We wanted the Bryston BCD-3 CD Player to be optimize for Redbook CD playback and therefore the Clocking Frequency, the BIT Rate and the Sample Rate are perfected for Redbook CD playback.

james
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-22-2019, 08:08 PM
gbaby gbaby is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 760
Default You are giving hi-res SACD and DVD-A too much credit.

I have been collecting SACDs since its inception with my best player being a Sony XA-5400ES using a Bryston BDA3 as a D/A converter. As good as hi res music sounds with this configuration, I find that I enjoy regular 44.1/16 bit PCM better. It sounds more natural at least when I play it back using either the USB or Balanced digital input to my SP3. I am also using the two music surround surround algorithms on the SP3 in 7.2. In addition, my playback is through a digital player, the Bryston BDP-3 which gives me access to my entire music library. The BDP-3 has also caused me to buy more CDs than ever and I have discovered many good recordings from the 60s and 70s buying those Classic Album Series in both pop and R&B genres. You get 5 CDs of an artist for the price of one, and the majority of the ones I've purchased have great recordings. In addition, I still buy the latest smooth jazz CD I like that I can put instantly on the BDP3. The convenience and sonic benefits from accessing quickly current regular music far exceed the difference in sound hi res offers in an extremely limited catalog. I have a couple of hundred SACDs, DVDs, and hi res downloads I listen to maybe one day out of a year. I listen to the PCM from CDs daily.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-22-2019, 11:05 PM
ylee's Avatar
ylee ylee is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Haymarket, VA
Posts: 587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I have been collecting SACDs since its inception with my best player being a Sony XA-5400ES using a Bryston BDA3 as a D/A converter. As good as hi res music sounds with this configuration, I find that I enjoy regular 44.1/16 bit PCM better. It sounds more natural at least when I play it back using either the USB or Balanced digital input to my SP3. I am also using the two music surround surround algorithms on the SP3 in 7.2. In addition, my playback is through a digital player, the Bryston BDP-3 which gives me access to my entire music library. The BDP-3 has also caused me to buy more CDs than ever and I have discovered many good recordings from the 60s and 70s buying those Classic Album Series in both pop and R&B genres. You get 5 CDs of an artist for the price of one, and the majority of the ones I've purchased have great recordings. In addition, I still buy the latest smooth jazz CD I like that I can put instantly on the BDP3. The convenience and sonic benefits from accessing quickly current regular music far exceed the difference in sound hi res offers in an extremely limited catalog. I have a couple of hundred SACDs, DVDs, and hi res downloads I listen to maybe one day out of a year. I listen to the PCM from CDs daily.
I agree not all SACD versions of a particular recording sound better than Redbook, but many do. Regardless of the merits of either format, my playback option for Redbook is my Totaldac d1-twelve DAC, so I'm extremely well covered there. If I want to listen to my SACDs, I currently use my Oppo as there are very few options for ripping SACDs. The Oppo UDP-205 is a very good unit, but it's distinctly inferior to the best DACs (as well as players) made by a host of companies ranging from Bryston and Ayre to dcs and Totaldac. So I plan on buying the BDA-3 to convert DSD sent by the Oppo via HDMI. Unless of course Bryston decides to add a CD transport to the BDA-3.
__________________
Primary System (Always in flux):
Analog Source: Rega RP10
Phono Preamp: Bryston BP2/PS3
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels

Last edited by ylee; 04-22-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-23-2019, 09:54 AM
gbaby gbaby is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylee View Post
... So I plan on buying the BDA-3 to convert DSD sent by the Oppo via HDMI. Unless of course Bryston decides to add a CD transport to the BDA-3.
Very good plan.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:19 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase