AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
Just talked to Conrad and confirmed that the DIVA II SP does not have provision for two tonearms. The original DIVA was developed for the Japanese market, with that ability. Even then, less than 1% bought the two arm version.

He is not planning on upgrading current product to accommodate two arms, though he hinted that someday their top turntable (not built yet) may.

So for now, if you need two arms, you'll have to go elsewhere...

Again, I'd think about a Clearaudio, Raven or Acoustic Signature. I'm sure Ivan can hook you up with something from Clear.
The original Diva seems to be a good value in an entry level TT.
Would you place it on par with the entry level offerings from say VPI?
I had a VPI Scout and hated the unipivot arm but liked everything else about the table.
I'm looking at AVID for an entry level table if I go with a manual. If I go automatic, I'll go for the Thorens TD-240-2.
Thorens - TD240-2 - Automatic Turntable-Audio Advisor
Old 03-23-2011, 07:06 PM

I have to admit bias, I own two AVID tables with a third on the way. I'm just not a fan of VPI. Their tables always sound a bit two dimensional to me. Very wide soundstage and good bass weight, just kind of flat front to back.

I've owned the Scoutmaster and used it with quite a few different carts, but it always left me kind of cold.

So while I would tell you to grab an AVID or a Rega over a VPI, I am a bit in favor of those two brands. The standard DIVA with either a Rega RB 300 (especially a used one if you can find one...) is a great table for the $$.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpines View Post
The original Diva seems to be a good value in an entry level TT.
Would you place it on par with the entry level offerings from say VPI?
I had a VPI Scout and hated the unipivot arm but liked everything else about the table.
I'm looking at AVID for an entry level table if I go with a manual. If I go automatic, I'll go for the Thorens TD-240-2.
Thorens - TD240-2 - Automatic Turntable-Audio Advisor
If you're looking at an entry level table, I'd suggest you consider the Clearaudio Concept. I have one, and for the money, it's killer. I use it as my mono deck.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
No problem. Can you. Tell me if the Diva II SP will take two armboards? I like to mount an arm with an LOMC and one with an MM. Thanks.
Would you consider two tables? The Clearaudio Concept is an absolutely fantastic for the money, and would make a great second table to work with a moving magnet or moving iron. I've heard that it works great with the Clearaudio Maestro Wood, and I know for a fact it works wonderfully with the wood-bodied Grado Reference moving irons, like the Sonata, etc.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:32 AM

I have my eyes on the Avid Volvere SP.. Acutus is nice but is out of my pricerange.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:17 AM

I have an Avid Volvere SP and absolutely adore it. It replaced a Pro-Ject Perspective. Avid is very easy to set up and requires very minimal tweaking. Paired with an SME arm, you'll be very happy. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum Phono Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 3
Dan D'Agostino Momentum S250
dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC
dCS Vivaldi Upsampler
dCS Vivaldi Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2, Yvette & Mezzo
REL No.32 x 2
REL Carbon Special x 2
AVID Acutus Ref SP, Roon Nucleus+
McIntosh MX151, MVP881
HRS SXR Signature Audio Stand
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!

New York

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 2
dCS Rossini Dac
dCS Rossini Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2
REL No.25 x 2
Roon Nucleus+
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Glad to hear it!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
I have to admit bias, I own two AVID tables with a third on the way. I'm just not a fan of VPI. Their tables always sound a bit two dimensional to me. Very wide soundstage and good bass weight, just kind of flat front to back.

I've owned the Scoutmaster and used it with quite a few different carts, but it always left me kind of cold.

So while I would tell you to grab an AVID or a Rega over a VPI, I am a bit in favor of those two brands. The standard DIVA with either a Rega RB 300 (especially a used one if you can find one...) is a great table for the $$.
Jeff...+1 on the AVID and Rega 'tables

Dave
Old 07-30-2011, 01:39 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a long-time audiophile who's primary interest is vinyl and AVID turntables. I've had an original satin Volvere for 6 years and recently replaced it with a new black Volvere SP. Over the years I've also owned a SOTA Star, a Maplenoll Athena, a Technics SL-10, SL-3, and an old Garrard.

Yep, with all those turntables in my past, I'm an old fart (the new "middle-aged") and am looking forward to participating in several of the threads on AudioAficionado!

As soon as I figure out how to "correctly" list my system I'll do it, but until then I'll just paste it beneath my name for reference.

Terry

Analog: AVID Volvere SP, SME IV.Vi, Benz Micro Ruby 3H, Art Audio Vinyl One Phono Preamp
Int. Amp: Plinius 9200
Speakers: Meadowlark Ospreys
Cables: Hovland, Cardas, Nordost
Power: Hydra-4, BC MR1200, Shunyata cables, dedicated lines
Digital: Jolida JD-100A CDP, Lenovo netbook to Music Hall DAC 25.3
Old 07-30-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a long-time audiophile who's primary interest is vinyl and AVID turntables. I've had an original satin Volvere for 6 years and recently replaced it with a new black Volvere SP. Over the years I've also owned a SOTA Star, a Maplenoll Athena, a Technics SL-10, SL-3, and an old Garrard.

Yep, with all those turntables in my past, I'm an old fart (the new "middle-aged") and am looking forward to participating in several of the threads on AudioAficionado!

As soon as I figure out how to "correctly" list my system I'll do it, but until then I'll just paste it beneath my name for reference.

Terry

Analog: AVID Volvere SP, SME IV.Vi, Benz Micro Ruby 3H, Art Audio Vinyl One Phono Preamp
Int. Amp: Plinius 9200
Speakers: Meadowlark Ospreys
Cables: Hovland, Cardas, Nordost
Power: Hydra-4, BC MR1200, Shunyata cables, dedicated lines
Digital: Jolida JD-100A CDP, Lenovo netbook to Music Hall DAC 25.3
hello Terry and welcome
nice system
I have had the art audio vinyl one in my system, a truly fantastic phono preamp

l
LP12SE,urika phonostage,radikal power supply, dynavector XV-1s,conrad-johnson GAT and LP275M, Sonus Faber Elipsa,yter/naim/Linn cables, vibex, finite elemente