AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 07-10-2015, 11:23 PM

From the 'a lot better' perspective, No. Plus it is a PITA when you just want to listen to one song.

-------------------------------------------------------
Lumin S1
Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
Magico S5 speakers

Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon for source, Cyclops v2 (2) for amps
Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
Revelation Audio Passage Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:37 PM

I have both a great digital system and a great analog rig. In the end it comes down to the source material. If you love music from the 50's to 70's era and you have a record collection or are willing to invest in building one then a good record player is worth it. I believe that music that was originally mastered with analog tape and pressed to vinyl sounds best in its native format of tape or vinyl.

Otherwise stick with your digital setup. It is already great and can only get better with the advancements in DSP and computers.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:56 PM

Thanks guys! Sounds like it's a matter of taste.

I have a grand total of 1 record. Purchasing everything I enjoy listening in vinyl format will cost me a few K's I'm sure.

For records cut from digital masters, would the digital files sound better than the vinyl counterparts?
Old 07-11-2015, 12:20 AM

you could also look at it from a long term stand point. analog tech doesn't change as fast as digital tech in my opinion. Yes, you can change a cart. or wires as you want; however digital will sound great until the next chip update comes out which is usually every few years then what you bought is outdated. even all the different digital formats to choose from is kinda annoying in my opinion. you can buy a flac album then the dsd comes out then double dsd...etc.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:56 AM

You bring up a good point: Duplicating your digital collection in vinyl = $$$. But there is a lot of fun in doing this, taking your time flipping thru bins is therapeutic.

My DAC is a Grant Fidelity Tube DAC, so my digital has that "warmth". 24 bit files sound really nice and fluid, but also my analog end brings a smile to my face. But like you I have no desire to replicate my vinyl collection to hi-rez and really I cannot since what I listen to is not available on hi-rez.

24bit masters to vinyl are sublime and in my system sound better than standard redbook CDs.

It truly is a choice on how you prefer to enjoy your music....Have fun
Old 07-11-2015, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
I have both a great digital system and a great analog rig. In the end it comes down to the source material. If you love music from the 50's to 70's era and you have a record collection or are willing to invest in building one then a good record player is worth it. I believe that music that was originally mastered with analog tape and pressed to vinyl sounds best in its native format of tape or vinyl.

Otherwise stick with your digital setup. It is already great and can only get better with the advancements in DSP and computers.
Echoes my sentiments and experience
Old 07-11-2015, 02:51 AM

If you want to hear how good Vinyl can be ; try the Music Matters Blue Note 45RPM remasters.

Generally It is either or for me as some have mentioned, but the world comes to a standstill when I play these fabulous remasters
Old 07-11-2015, 03:10 AM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
Does vinyl sound a lot better than high resolution music?

I have a Modwright OPPO 105D with NOS tubes. It is very musical, especially with high resolution files. But I've always wanted to try vinyl. However, the associated cost (e.g., TT, tone arm, cartridge, extra cables, phono stage, record cleaning machine, etc) can add up the cost. Plus, I don't have any record in my collection. I probably need to spend a few K's on records just to cover some of the music I enjoy.

Can an analog setup costing 17K (including TT, tone arm, cartridge, extra cables, phono stage, record cleaning machine, etc; plus 3K to buy records) sound better than a 20K digital player? I've heard numerous stories that high end analog sound different than high end digital, not necessary better, just different.

Any thought?
It depends.

What do you like to listen to, is it available in the "high end" formats, and is the album well produced (recorded, mixed and mastered)?

Then you have to research the limitations of both. The general criticisms with Vinyl are cost, size, maintenance, physical limitations and mechanical noise. The general issues with Digital is that it's not continuous (samples/frames) and critics complain about the timing. There's bunch of other issues for both.

Going in with the understanding of the limitations, if your favorite albums are available in either format then pick the one you think you'd listen to the most.*

It's about the music and not about the cost you're spending on your record or digital player.

*(I picked both formats for my favorite albums, I listen to the analog and digital albums at home and then only the digital copies on the go. I haven't digitized analog recordings, yet, the cost and time is high vs out right buying the digital version.)

Last edited by o0OBillO0o; 07-11-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post

Old 07-11-2015, 10:48 AM

IMHO . . . the best part is pursuing the answer.

Darren

--
Shindo Montille CV391 (Stereo Amplifier)
Shindo Masseto (Preamplifier)
Well Tempered Versalex (Turntable)
Auditorium 23 (Step up Transformer)
EMT TSD15 (Moving Coil Cartridge)
AcousticPlan Digimaster (DAC)
Apple Mac mini (Digital Source)
Living Voice IBX-RW (Speakers)
Shindo Mr. T (Transformer)
Auditorium 23 (Interconnect and Speaker Cables)
Box HD3E (Furniture)