AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 07-21-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
I enjoyed reading this thread. I ventured back into analogue last summer picking up a used Basis 2001 table with RB301 tonearm, then upgraded to Basis Vector 4. Kurt Doslu at Echo Audio in Portland set up my table/arm/cartridge each time, and I bet next to AJ Conti setting up his own table, my Basis was totally dialed and sounded great. I got the upgrade bug and landed a great deal on a Clearaudio Innovation Wood and a Graham Phantom II B44 tonearm with Benz LP-S cartridge. Everything got bigger and better, and the pitch/speed stability and grip on each note with no smearing was worth the upgrade. Now I'm adding a Schick 12" tonearm with Miyajima Premium Mono BE cartridge as a second arm so will get to enjoy mono recordings. I also lucked out and was able to buy a modified vintage table from Atma-Sphere (Empire 208) with a Triplanar arm, and I'll put a Soundsmith Ebony Voice cartridge on it. Experiencing different analogue rigs is fun, and I like the mechanical aspect of it (I like mechanical watches and I still shoot in film...medium format). But most importantly at the end of the day, there is an enjoyment I get every day from listening to vinyl on a good system that is unrivaled, no matter which table I might have in my system. And now my kids (8, 12, 14) are turned onto vinyl so they will inherit this stuff one day and I'll pass the torch.
Welcome dpod4...

Great post!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 01:40 AM
dpod4

Thanks, tonepub. Your magazine is my favorite...I read Tone Audio via Zino on my ipad. As others have commented here, I love the fact you don't write like the normal reviewers...you keep it real. You put your money where your mouth is....no pandering, just honest feedback and recommendations on gear and music...KUDOS for that. Would love to buy you a beer and pick your brain for sure.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:52 AM
dpod4

Thanks for the warm welcom, cmalak. I tried to update my profile with system info but I think my newbie status keeps me from doing so. Right now, I'm listening to Ben Webster (stereo) for the first time (amazing sonics and music) on the following system:

- Clearaudio Innovation Wood
- Graham II B44 with Benz LP-S (a killer cartridge) with Tara Labs Zero phono IC
- about to receive Schick 12" arm + Miyajima Premium Mono Be, and Atma-Sphere 208 + Triplanar + Soundsmith Voice Ebony
- Herron VTPH-2 phono preamp (Keith Herron and his products are hero status in my book)
- VAC Renaissance Mk III preamp
- VAC 300.1a amp (VAC gear took it all to a new unbelievable level)
- Esoteric MG20 speakers/stands (speed of maggies, dynamics of box, monitor imaging)
- Harmonic Technology Magic Link II interconnects and speaker wire
- Silkworm+ IC between VACs (AMAZING interconnect...puts lipstick on the singer, and smoke in the air, and removes people at the table between me and the bass player)
- Velodyne DD+15 sub dialed in real low
- Audience AR12 power conditioner and powerchord "e"s for components
- Symposium Ultra shelves and Quadraspire racks
- Digital = PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC + Bridge, and Modwright Sony 5400es (amazing)
Old 07-22-2011, 01:53 AM
dpod4

two dot

I covet your shindo table. Shindo was partly the inspiration for me getting into tubes as well as picking up a vintage table. thanks for that!

Last edited by dpod4; 07-22-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:11 PM
dpod4

Apologies -- I meant to post/attach each reply to the comments directed to me versus in random order via quick reply.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:41 AM
Retired

A bit dated (what's 8+ years between friends.......), but had the opportunity to listen to a Brinkman DD TT/TA combination yesterday and were I in the market for a new TT think it would be the one. $9K for the TT and $4K for the Brinkman TA. A delight to use and even better to listen to thru a Lehmann Decade preamp and Luxman solid-state preamp/tube power amp combo. Listened thru Devore 0/96 & Harbeth HL-5 (couldn't keep up with the Devore) speakers. The Kiseki Purple Heart N.S. cartridge was sublime.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-08-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
The Kiseki Purple Heart N.S. cartridge was sublime.
+1!