AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 07-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Bun E. Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
ejr1953.......It is one thing to create modular capability into a component, and another thing entirely to actually support that modular capability in the future. I don't mean to sound cynical but many companies have promoted modular upgrade paths and used this notion as bait and hook for sales only to abandon these models for newer models without ever offering the modular upgrades promised. That a modular circuit, DAC, phono stage, or tuner, can be plugged and unplugged into an amplifier's circuitry path doesn't mean a thing if it isn't supported with future improvements. Time will tell if McIntosh ever offers a DAC upgrade path that will truly be a plug and play replacement for the DAC in the MA9000. Color me skeptical. That isn't to be misinterpreted as me not recognizing the astonishing component the McIntosh MA9000 represents.
Dan..... I would think it's very expensive for Mc to keep launching new pre's and integrateds. For instance: c2300, c2500, c2600....what is next? In theory, developing a new DAC module should be simple to manage and much more cost effective in the long run vs. launching new pre every 6 to 8 months. Time will tell...
Old 07-05-2017, 10:07 PM

Well, not only DAC module updates, but also new firmware updates to use the new capabilities , which have been problematic in the past and present.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:36 AM

The cool thing that McIntosh and other manufacturers could do but won't do is to publish their interface control documents so the open source / DIY community (or other manufacturers) could build plug in modules that would work. Want your MQA fix? Get a DAC module from Meridian. How about a dcs plugin module? That would be awesome!

There is precedent. The moome modules kept our Sony G series CRT projectors relevant for a long time by adding hdmi inputs. moome did this without any support from Sony, and it worked mostly.

Small boutique firms may find it possible to keep innovating where McIntosh and other larger manufacturers have bigger fish to fry.

Now back to reality.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 07-06-2017, 10:40 AM
Just Pure Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
How about a dcs plugin module?

Best sir,

Bob
Analogue Preamp:VAC Renaissance SE Phono stage in Silver Flake with XLR Output Option & with Nordost Valhalla XLR's.
Analogue Sources:SME 20/2 w/SME V arm & Nordost Odin 2 Tone Arm Cable, Palo Santos Presentation Cartridge & Akai GX-400D Reel-to-Reel w/relapped heads by JRF Magnetic Sciences. Akai RC-17 cabled remote (original owner since 1974).
Vibration Control:TT on HRS M3X2-1921 shelf.
Speakers:Wilson Audio Alexia V (on order in Ferrari Argento Silver/Parchment grills sitting on Acoustic Diode Kit).
Power Cables:4 Nordost Odin Supreme Reference on amps, preamp & DAC. Ansuz Acoustics C2 on Transport & Clock.
Power Distribution:Ansuz Mainz D3 Distributor & Ansuz Mainz C2 1M Power Cable
Power Outlets:Furutech GTX-D NCF (R) duplex outlet, GTX Wall Plate & Duplex Cover (x2) on dedicated, same panel phase, 20A breakers.
Speaker Cables:2M Nordost Odin 2 Supreme Reference on Nordost Sort Lifts. (on Order)
Signal Cables:Nordost Odin XLR's on dCS DAC & Amps.
Digital Cables: Nordost Odin 2's, 110-ohm AES/EBU on dCS Transport to DAC.
Clock Cables:5 each 75 ohm 1.25M Nordost Valhalla BNC/BNC Digital
Ethernet Cable: WireWorld Platinum 1M Starlight® 8 Twinax
Headphones:Vintage Koss Pro IV AA.
RCM: Audio Desk PRO
Tube Test Gear:Mint late '60's/calibrated Heathkit TT-1A, MaxiMatcher Power Amp & Preamp & Space Tech Labs ATT-3.02 tube test sets.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:32 AM

10,500 it is !
Old 07-06-2017, 01:35 PM

Default I Guess We Need to Be Realistic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
ejr1953.......It is one thing to create modular capability into a component, and another thing entirely to actually support that modular capability in the future. I don't mean to sound cynical but many companies have promoted modular upgrade paths and used this notion as bait and hook for sales only to abandon these models for newer models without ever offering the modular upgrades promised. That a modular circuit, DAC, phono stage, or tuner, can be plugged and unplugged into an amplifier's circuitry path doesn't mean a thing if it isn't supported with future improvements. Time will tell if McIntosh ever offers a DAC upgrade path that will truly be a plug and play replacement for the DAC in the MA9000. Color me skeptical. That isn't to be misinterpreted as me not recognizing the astonishing component the McIntosh MA9000 represents.
I'm thinking that audio companies are fairly small operations, compared with computer manufacturers, and though they may need to invest in making their components accept a "standard" DAC or other type of module, they may not actually sell many of those modules themselves.

NAD offered modularity with their C390DD integrated amp and some of their newer models. I suppose that McIntosh is a much larger company than NAD. But as you say, firmware updates are not McIntosh's "strong suit".

I do think that the modular DAC is a step in the right direction and as it's been mentioned by others, they won't need to come out with new models of preamps and integrated amps, once they apply the modular design to those models.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling
Old 07-06-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejr1953 View Post
I'm thinking that audio companies are fairly small operations, compared with computer manufacturers, and though they may need to invest in making their components accept a "standard" DAC or other type of module, they may not actually sell many of those modules themselves.

NAD offered modularity with their C390DD integrated amp and some of their newer models. I suppose that McIntosh is a much larger company than NAD. But as you say, firmware updates are not McIntosh's "strong suit".

I do think that the modular DAC is a step in the right direction and as it's been mentioned by others, they won't need to come out with new models of preamps and integrated amps, once they apply the modular design to those models.
Even if they don't sell many of the modules it could help them with inventory management. Rather than having to clear out inventory of older models at the end of a model run they could manufacture a bunch of inventory without the digital board and then install the latest digital board right before shipping to dealers. It could also allow them to make their lineup more flexible, for example they could easily sell a preamp or integrated amp without a digital section for customers who have a better outboard dac.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:47 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJW View Post
Dan..... I would think it's very expensive for Mc to keep launching new pre's and integrateds. For instance: c2300, c2500, c2600....what is next? In theory, developing a new DAC module should be simple to manage and much more cost effective in the long run vs. launching new pre every 6 to 8 months. Time will tell...
Jon.......McIntosh hasn't been launching new preamps every 6 to 8 months. The C2300 was produced from 2008 until 2015. The C2500 was produced from 2013 to 2016. The C2600 began production in 2016 and remains a current preamplifier in their catalog. The statement C1000 series preamplifiers began production in 2005 and only last year were replaced with the introduction of the C1100 preamplifier.

Marketing new components is what keeps an audio company sales and profits growing, and keeps their products in the buying public's mind. Selling an updated DAC module to extend the useful life of an aging component won't keep the financial coffers full. An updated DAC module is great for existing owners who wish to take advantage of such things but does nothing to capture the attention of new buyers. I am not attempting to undermine the value of modular DAC's and the like, only that the idea of future modular upgrades, provided they are supported, won't cease or slow down the introduction of new components.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 07-06-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeAllan70 View Post
Nice...but can you slap in the TM3 instead??....

This is what I need to know. If I can get a tuner module in the MA9000 then I am going to have to do some serious saving as it would be perfect for my office.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:20 PM

The MA9000 is a real beauty. If I ever have need for a 2nd system, this would be the one to anchor it

One small aesthetic feature I really like on the MA9000 is the display screen. For the life in me, I have no idea why all other modern Mc preamps, including my C1100, say "Input: xxxx". Why put the "input" nomenclature. Completely redundant. Serves no purpose and clutters the look in my opinion. Maybe it's because I owned and liked the the way C2300 and C500 did it. Looks like MA9000 is a return to form.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion