AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Yong.......Excellent review. It is clear you have discovered an audio component that exceeds your expectations and provides satisfaction beyond your original hopes. I will be watching for future comments as the Totaldac d1-twelve SE DAC acquires more hours. A couple photos would be nice.
Just posted the pic in the review post - see above.
Digital Software: Roon, Tidal Streaming
Digital Music Server: Melco N1A/2
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Preamplifier: Rogue Audio RP-9 (factory upgraded from RP-7)
Amplifier: Vandersteen M5-HPA
Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT w/IsoAcoustics Gaia 1 feet
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Oak spades ---> bi-wire spades
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Power Conditioning: 2 AQ Niagara 1000, 3 Oyaide R1 outlets
Sound Treatments: 23 ASC Tube Traps and 10 Panels
Old 06-16-2017, 06:14 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylee View Post
Just posted the pic in the review post - see above.
Yong.......That is quite a complex DAC setup. I have never seen anything quite like it. Thanks for the photo.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-16-2017, 06:38 PM

I haven't either. The closest I know of is the dcs Vivaldi stack.
Digital Sources: Totaldac d1-twelve SE MkII (factory upgraded from MKI) with "live power" 4 output power supply, Oppo UDP-205
Cabling: WW Platinum Starlight 7 digital wires, Totaldac Gigafilter USB filter, AQ Sky XLR, AQ Fire RCA
Power Cables: Esprit PC (for DAC), 2 WW Platinum Electra PC (Preamp/Phono Preamp), AQ NRG10 (Melco N1A/2), AQ Blizzard (Quatro Wood CT built-in subs)
Old 06-24-2017, 12:11 AM

Two weeks after I set up the d1-twelve, I continue to be enthralled by its conveyance of music's beauty. I crank my system up everytime I listen, and I can listen at loud volume for hours as the sound is fatigue-free and musically and emotionally meaningful. I am continuing to be struck by the incredible low noise and resolution of the DAC. With some albums/songs it's like I had only heard half of the content up until now. To paraphrase John Atkinson in some of his reviews, it's like the window has been cleaned.

This performance of course would not be possible if my amp, speakers, interconnects/cables, and other accessories weren't up to the job. I am astounded by the AHB2's linearity and ability to pass thru subtle details given its price of $3k. The Quatro Wood CT speakers scale nicely as the volume increases. Having $17k worth of ASC Tube Traps and Sound Panels organize the room's acoustics plays a part. I am experiencing some of the most enjoyable sounds I've heard anywhere.

Last edited by ylee; 06-24-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:30 AM

Thumbs up Yong!
Old 06-24-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylee View Post

Is it enough to call it a day?

With every new component I've bought in the past, I always felt I was taking a step toward a goal that was just slightly out of reach. With the d1-twelve, I'm actually at a point where if my current system didn't change for the rest of my life, I would be satisfied. Of course capacitors age and lose their tolerance after a couple decades and a hobby invariably means eventual tinkering. But this is the first plateau I've reached in my hi-fi hobby where I could call it a day to focus on other of life's costly priorities and not regret it. The d1-twelve SE is that good. Of all the things I've paid money to buy in my life, the d1-twelve SE is easily one of perhaps four things I've bought that has given me the most satisfaction and enjoyment that a material thing can give.
Unfortunately, it is difficult to audition a TotalDAC in the US. But based solely on the comments from friends in the UK and FR I took a leap of faith and acquired the TotalDAC from Vincent. I have had it for several months now and must say that I agree 100% with what 'Ylee' says above. I told a friend in the UK that I usually find differences between good DACs to be relatively small. But the subtle distortions of a DAC are particularly annoying although technically subtle they might be. With TotalDAC you can stop looking for a better or 'different' DAC and just enjoy the music. It is the closest to the sound of 'analog' (record & tape) that I have experienced. My only caveat: the case quality could be better.

Highly recommended if you want to get off the DAC merry-go-round and you are/were a digital hater (as I was).
Old 06-27-2017, 09:57 PM

This evening I'm listening to Yo-Yo Ma play Bach's cello suites (Sony Classical). He's in my room. I can hear him breath. Spooky. His cello sounds so real, so beautiful. The sound is so coherent, so unified. Absolutely stunning. Thanks to Vincent Brient, John Siau, Richard Vandersteen, William Low, David Salz, and Art Noxon.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:47 AM

I took delivery of a Melco N1A/2 a couple days ago and I set it up as a RAID 1 USB server using the PlugPlayer upnp app on my iPad to control playback. I set up a separate router from what my family uses with mobile devices and smart TVs. The Melco-Totaldac combo is sounding sublime. I'm still using an Uptone Regen and Curious Cable Regen link between the Melco and the d1-twelve reclocker. These little things do make a difference albeit subtle even in the presence of the reclocker. The imaging is tighter and individual melodies/instruments are better delineated with the Regen. Bass is the most improved part of the spectrum with the Melco, with superb pitch definition.

Last edited by ylee; 07-16-2017 at 02:28 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:23 PM

Two months into ownership and with my Melco N1A/2 feeding it, the d1-twelve after a hefty amount of hours burning in is proving to be a sublime source component that brings out the full measure of the music I play. The amount of musical information is enormous. It utterly cleans the window thru which music is presented. Instruments and voices are clean, clear, and articulate. The dimensionality too is elevated where certain sounds seem to emanate from a point closer than the location of my speakers. Music envelops me - no doubt partly a function of my room treatments. But I didn't get this effect with my previous DACs. It's also not so much about the sound of my system anymore. It's about the recorded event presented with as little haze of time and place as possible. It's musical, emotional, encompassing, and immersive. I know my hyperbole is thru the roof. But this really is an incredible DAC. It blows away any DAC I've owned before and sounds better than anything I've heard in hi fi stores. I don't think I've heard vinyl that sounds better either. Recordings from the 60s to the present sound good if they were recorded and mastered well.

Highly, utterly, and enthusiastically recommended.

Last edited by ylee; 07-28-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:32 PM

I live in southern France and have met Vincent Brient several times, he is indeed a very nice man and take care of his customers.
I will be ordering a Twelve mk2 from him next year to build my ultimate rig with CH Precision pre-power or Aries Cerat pre-power.