AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Technical Info & Troubleshooting

Technical Info & Troubleshooting Learn from the Pro's

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2009, 07:52 PM

Default My first turntable setup.

Ok, I've finally crossed over into the dark side of vinyl.

I've decided to start out with the Clearaudio Performance TT with Satisfy Carbon tonearm and based on the recommendation of Alberto, the Clearaudio Maestro Wood cartridge.

My original plan was to start out with a more "serious" turntable but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to "get my feet wet" with a more reasonable priced TT just to see what's what with vinyl and if I will stick with it or not. I figured it would not a big deal if I decided not to stick with vinyl but a $20k TT would hurt quite a bit if that was the case. A more reasonable TT/Arm/Cart would also allow me to get some experience with the proper setup and not have to sweat while setting up a $4k cartridge. Of course this also gives me time to go out and audition more TTs to pick the one I will stick with for years to come.

Just a brief impression of the overall quality of this rather reasonably priced Clearaudio TT and tonearm.

I think for the money, this table offers very good quality and design. The excellent ceramic/magnetic bearing is very smooth and the whole platter "floats" on air with the repelling/opposing magnets built into the ceramic bearing assembly. The platter/bearing fit is also very precise with no visible run-out in both the vertical and horizontal planes.

The Satisfy Carbon Tonearm also seems to be well built for the money, the installation went smooth and easy and I like the design of the head-shell that allows to mount and adjust the cartridge with just one screw instead of having to play around with two. Anyone who has setup cartridges before will probably agree. The pivot bearings and the cuing mechanism is also buttery smooth.

The plinth is also not only good looking but seems to be of appropriate mass for the platter, designed with resonance control in mind and comes with decent quality, adjustable feet with clear rubber vibration isolation points. This makes leveling the TT a breeze and the package offers enough weight/heft to be a sturdy, fairly non-resonant platform for the tonearm/cart to do their work of extracting the music from the grooves.

Overall, the build quality, looks, motor and tonearm are a great value for the money. I've seen much cheaper looking/build quality at this price.

The guys at Clearaudio even included a great sounding classical music Opus 3 LP for the owner to try on the new TT.

This was my first attempt at tonearm/cartridge setup. Not as bad as I thought it would be. The excellent Dr.Feickert Protractor made the whole process much easier and much more precise. The included Clearaudio Protractor was pretty much useless as you will see later on. Overall, the whole install took me about 5 hours since I had no one to help me and this was all completely foreign to me. I think the second time around it would take less than half the time.

Here are some pics of the setup that I took along the way. I don't want to bore you with the turntable setup since it is straight forward and not rocket science but will include a few of the more tedious cartridge mounting.

Tonearm mounted and cartridge mounting/setup is in progress. The rod you see is the Feickert protractor being aligned to the tonearm pivot point. It really helped that the Satisfy tonearm has a "dimple" that tells you precisely where the pivot point is. VTA has been set at this point.

Next is the overhang adjustment.

Next was the actual geometry and the null points setup. I chose the Loefgren geometry which Dr.Feickert seems to favor and compared to the Baerwald on the other side of the setup disc.

After a little, ok, a lot of tweaking the cartridge mount in the tonearm, it looks like it is finally aligned pretty good. This is what tests your patience and you have to be careful through the whole process. Both the overhead and straight on shots confirm that both the cartridge body and more importantly the cantilever/stylus are aligned.

Last edited by PHC1; 06-06-2009 at 07:57 PM.