AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:20 AM

Default S5 Hifi Critic review

http://www.magico.net/images/Reviews...DEC%202013.pdf

Why a separate thread about this review? Well, read it first... It is by far the most complete review of S5 and IMHO the most important one so far.

I agree with all Martin Colloms findings and with its conclusions.

Only one speaker that I recenly audition is IMHO better overall then S5, it is Q7.

Do not get me wrong here as been die hard Magico fan-I still respect Wilson Alexia a lot and find it a good alternative for S5 if someone is Wilson house sound style fan.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:42 AM

Agree, it is indeed the most thoughtful review on a Magico product I have ever read. Unfortunately, many in our hobby are not interested in simple facts and merits. Perhaps that is why we are quite anachronistic, in comparison to other fields.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Merry Christmas to all

KKF1.......That was a good read. It's obvious the reviewer fell in love with the S5. They do seem to be getting a lot of press these days.

HiFi+ review: http://www.absolutesounds.com/pdf/ma...gicoS54web.pdf

$28,600

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-20-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKF1 View Post
http://www.magico.net/images/Reviews...DEC%202013.pdf

Why a separate thread about this review? Well, read it first... It is by far the most complete review of S5 and IMHO the most important one so far.

I agree with all Martin Colloms findings and with its conclusions.

Only one speaker that I recenly audition is IMHO better overall then S5, it is Q7.

Do not get me wrong here as been die hard Magico fan-I still respect Wilson Alexia a lot and find it a good alternative for S5 if someone is Wilson house sound style fan.
Hi KKF1,

Great review on the S5, sounds like a world class loudspeaker. I'm guessing from your comments that you prefer the S5 to the Q3. The reviewer pretty much raved about the S5 on every point except the grill. Sounds like its best to keep it off except when company/kids comes over.

Cheers,
Ken
Old 12-20-2013, 04:33 PM

I too agreed with each point of that well-written and insightful review, especially as it relates to the lower frequencies. I've had many guests, many if not mostly non-audiophiles, who have commented on how quick and clean the lower registers are.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDesign View Post
I too agreed with each point of that well-written and insightful review, especially as it relates to the lower frequencies. I've had many guests, many if not mostly non-audiophiles, who have commented on how quick and clean the lower registers are.
+1
The bass range was the most impressive, in addition to the resolution and transients, when I first encountered the S5, and moved me over from my previous speaker. I also share MC's observation that the speaker was relatively easy to position.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi KKF1, Great review on the S5, sounds like a world class loudspeaker. I'm guessing from your comments that you prefer the S5 to the Q3. The reviewer pretty much raved about the S5 on every point except the grill. Sounds like its best to keep it off except when company/kids comes over. Cheers, Ken
My S5 didn't come with the grilles. I suppose it is an optional feature. Although possibly having some negative effects sonically, still I would like to have them for protection when needed. Anyone knows the price of this option?
Old 12-21-2013, 02:40 AM

I never had magicos, but that doesn't sound right. Can't you ask your dealer?
Old 12-21-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi KKF1,

Great review on the S5, sounds like a world class loudspeaker. I'm guessing from your comments that you prefer the S5 to the Q3. The reviewer pretty much raved about the S5 on every point except the grill. Sounds like its best to keep it off except when company/kids comes over.

Cheers,
Ken
I don’t know why MC even mentioned the grills. Magico is explicit about the fact that you are not supposed to listen to their products with grills on.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:21 AM

Hi magico fans!

I have listened to S5 some times and compared them in the same set up with Sonus Faber Amati Futura and Wilson Sasha. ARC tubes were powering them.
These three speaker are all top of the line. But with some different sound ideals. I could probably liv happy with either of them.

Enjoy some Pics:

I like the sound S5 deliver a lot. It's very clean, lot's of details and very correct. Wilson was mentioned before. In my ears, S5 does not let the soul of the music out or the dynamics as well as Wilson and SF. But of corse, if you are a fan of resolution the S5 is great. Of course I want everything, but I enjoy dynamics and musicality more than resolution if have to choose.

I like Q3 better...

..and Magico Q7 IS Magic.

I know, Magico is selling a lot of speakers and many people likes them.
At this level almost every big speaker brand is good, it's more a question of taste.