AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 PM
joeinid joeinid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post
I just heard the Q7s with Spectral gear. Stunning.

The Q1 and the Q7 are remarkable speakers.

I also heard the Raidho C4.0, which was outstanding as well.
Hi Jon,

How do you think Spectral will sound on my TADs. I know the owner of computer audiophile uses TAD and Spectral as his reference.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Kingsrule's Avatar
Kingsrule Kingsrule is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,358
Default

Goodwin's?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-08-2012, 08:30 AM
VT Skier VT Skier is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mad River Valley
Posts: 421
Default

Goodwin's for the Q7/Spectral (and Q3, Q1, S5, Avior and Verity Amadis with Simaudio) and Blink for Raidho.

GJ, I agree with your remarks on the Q1 vs. the Q3. Barring some strange twist, I'll be ordering the Q1. You should listen to the C4.1s though. Everything you liked about the Temptation with its D'appolito array but better treble thanks to the ribbon tweeter and much better bass. Blink has 4.0s, so I can only imagine how much better the upgraded model is, because what I heard was excellent.

I didn't listen to the Q7 for long. It was in a different room with different gear, and that wasn't my purpose in visiting. But I spent time over two days at Goodwin's closely listening to the other speakers.

Joe, I think Spectral would give you more of what you didn't like with the Burmester/TAD combo. Spectral is like Boulder, Sim, and certain others -- ultra clean and revealing with enormous control. I'm not sure you can do better than darTZeel with that tweeter. Maybe Constellation. Or all VAC?

Why not take a couple of hours and drive up to Goodwin's with your CR1s, try them with Constellation? I think the Performance amp is $24, and the preamp is currently $19 but supposedly going up to $24. Sell those Burmesters and you're not far off the pair. And maybe there's a dealer closer to you.

Last edited by VT Skier; 12-08-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Mikado463's Avatar
Mikado463 Mikado463 is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SE Pa
Posts: 3,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
go to any big hifi show and you would be surprised by the number of 150-200k pair of speakers on show... and the number of them being not worth the money. Take the XLF for example: a pair of S5 at less than 30k sounds way better.

I'll be the first to agree that very few of the speakers in that range really wow me, with that being said a show enviroment is rarely the place to hear such product.

As for stating that the S5 is 'way better' than the Wilson XLF is your opinion and that's fine but have you heard the two in the same acoustical enviroment ? FWIW, give me a pair of Logan CLX's and a couple of good subs over the S5 any day .......hell I'll take the Logan combo over the Q5 ! and yes I have listened to all the above in the same listening enviroment (Overture, Wilmington, De)

Quote:
the Q7 is in a category in its own
so I've read, looking forward to hearing them soon.
__________________
Cheers .......Dave
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-08-2012, 10:29 AM
jazzman jazzman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Taiwan, Switzerland
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post
I just heard the Q7s with Spectral gear. Stunning.

The Q1 and the Q7 are remarkable speakers.

I also heard the Raidho C4.0, which was outstanding as well.
i heard on same day in same room the Q7 with Spectral 260, Constellation Audio Centaur and VAC 450 Ref. Started with Spectral, sound was great... until I switched to Constellation and realized that it was much better (Spectral sound lacking bass in comparison, and a bit too cold).
VAC was too colored, too slow - but nice smooth mid.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-08-2012, 12:01 PM
rlacoste rlacoste is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post

As for stating that the S5 is 'way better' than the Wilson XLF is your opinion and that's fine but have you heard the two in the same acoustical enviroment ? FWIW, give me a pair of Logan CLX's and a couple of good subs over the S5 any day .......hell I'll take the Logan combo over the Q5 ! and yes I have listened to all the above in the same listening enviroment (Overture, Wilmington, De)

so I've read, looking forward to hearing them soon.
If you can do with the discontinuity of a sub, not to mentioned mating with the CLX (colored, and anemic on their own) then you shouldn’t be bother with any of the Magico lineup.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Mikado463's Avatar
Mikado463 Mikado463 is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SE Pa
Posts: 3,772
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlacoste View Post
If you can do with the discontinuity of a sub, not to mentioned mating with the CLX (colored, and anemic on their own) then you shouldn’t be bother with any of the Magico lineup.
again.....thanks for reminding us that you haven't had the pleassure of listening to a properly set up system. To think that in this day and age with the quality of subs and the integration afforded them that they cannot be properly married to ones system is ridiculous.
__________________
Cheers .......Dave
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-08-2012, 07:24 PM
cmalak's Avatar
cmalak cmalak is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post
Goodwin's for the Q7/Spectral (and Q3, Q1, S5, Avior and Verity Amadis with Simaudio) and Blink for Raidho.

GJ, I agree with your remarks on the Q1 vs. the Q3. Barring some strange twist, I'll be ordering the Q1. You should listen to the C4.1s though. Everything you liked about the Temptation with its D'appolito array but better treble thanks to the ribbon tweeter and much better bass. Blink has 4.0s, so I can only imagine how much better the upgraded model is, because what I heard was excellent.

I didn't listen to the Q7 for long. It was in a different room with different gear, and that wasn't my purpose in visiting. But I spent time over two days at Goodwin's closely listening to the other speakers.

Joe, I think Spectral would give you more of what you didn't like with the Burmester/TAD combo. Spectral is like Boulder, Sim, and certain others -- ultra clean and revealing with enormous control. I'm not sure you can do better than darTZeel with that tweeter. Maybe Constellation. Or all VAC?

Why not take a couple of hours and drive up to Goodwin's with your CR1s, try them with Constellation? I think the Performance amp is $24, and the preamp is currently $19 but supposedly going up to $24. Sell those Burmesters and you're not far off the pair. And maybe there's a dealer closer to you.
Jon...Sounds like you are pulling the trigger on Q1s but you also listened to Q3, S5, Avior and Amadis. Correct me if I am wrong but all auditioned with Simaudio is that correct? I am curious if you are going to supplement the Q1s with subs at all because it's the only monitor vs. a host of full-range speakers? What was your order of preference among the remaining speakers? Who did you deal with at Goodwins (Paul or Al)? Thx. just curious.
__________________
Cyril
Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 PM
joeinid joeinid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post
Goodwin's for the Q7/Spectral (and Q3, Q1, S5, Avior and Verity Amadis with Simaudio) and Blink for Raidho.

GJ, I agree with your remarks on the Q1 vs. the Q3. Barring some strange twist, I'll be ordering the Q1. You should listen to the C4.1s though. Everything you liked about the Temptation with its D'appolito array but better treble thanks to the ribbon tweeter and much better bass. Blink has 4.0s, so I can only imagine how much better the upgraded model is, because what I heard was excellent.

I didn't listen to the Q7 for long. It was in a different room with different gear, and that wasn't my purpose in visiting. But I spent time over two days at Goodwin's closely listening to the other speakers.

Joe, I think Spectral would give you more of what you didn't like with the Burmester/TAD combo. Spectral is like Boulder, Sim, and certain others -- ultra clean and revealing with enormous control. I'm not sure you can do better than darTZeel with that tweeter. Maybe Constellation. Or all VAC?

Why not take a couple of hours and drive up to Goodwin's with your CR1s, try them with Constellation? I think the Performance amp is $24, and the preamp is currently $19 but supposedly going up to $24. Sell those Burmesters and you're not far off the pair. And maybe there's a dealer closer to you.
Thanks Jon. The 911's are a tough sell, but I am working on it.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-09-2012, 08:06 AM
VT Skier VT Skier is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mad River Valley
Posts: 421
Default

Cyril, I would love to write a long review of all of these speakers, but I don't want to deal with the irrational and derogatory responses Magico seems to immediately generate on this forum (and others). Really, if one can't say something nice, or at least instructive, why comment at all?

"Wilson's great, Magico sucks."

"Magico's great, Wilson sucks."

Maybe it's because of the relative anonymity one feels when posting? Or some visceral need to defend one's personal choices/preferences?

Whatever the reason, it's sad because most people here (and most reviewers for that matter) will never be able to spend as much time with these speakers as I did, listening in the same room with the same music and same electronics for the subtle (and not so subtle) differences.

Anyway, I recommend reading Alan Sircom's recent review of the S5s, which is very well written.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase