AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > GIK Acoustics

GIK Acoustics Bringing Your Sound To Life

Old 06-11-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricjor1 View Post
GIK recommended 6 242's to treat the side first reflection points and for the ceiling. In addition, they recommended 4 Tri-traps, stacking two in each front corner. I will have them before the end of the month. Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Europe - http://www.gikacoustics.co.uk
Old 06-18-2014, 10:45 PM

I ordered six 242s, but only received three today. I decided to put one 242 on each side at the first reflection point. Just with one panel on each side music has more focus. The bass is even tighter and I don't understand why?

I have one on a custom stand because it's in front of a window, should all of the 242s be at the same height?
Old 06-19-2014, 08:01 AM

First reflections are the worst offenders for small soundstage and lack of clarity. Additionnally, having a window on the side is the worst setup (I know I have the same issue). So what you're feeling is absolutely normal.

Now if you can, you can add some 242 on the ceiling and you would have stopped all first reflection.

No need for the 242 to be at the same height, mine aren't.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:17 AM

It may sound better with some 2D diffusion at the first reflection points rather than all absorption. Floyd Toole's extensive research at Harmon suggests this, as do many professional installers. Also, as noted, unlike speaker positioning, it may be advantageous to have your room treatments Asymmetrical rather than symmetrical. As far as bass problems go, traps should help with decreasing reinforcing room node frequencies but are little (although not no) help with nulls. Speaker positioning is the key here (except for the ceiling null) and should be experimented with; listener position will also have some effect and in most cases it works best if the distance from the center line between the speakers to the listener's ears is about 110-125% of the interspeaker distance (measured from the center of the midrange drivers). Adding scatter plates to some of your 242's can provide a little 2D diffusion.

Last edited by rbbert; 06-19-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
First reflections are the worst offenders for small soundstage and lack of clarity. Additionnally, having a window on the side is the worst setup (I know I have the same issue). So what you're feeling is absolutely normal.

Now if you can, you can add some 242 on the ceiling and you would have stopped all first reflection.
No need for the 242 to be at the same height, mine aren't.
That is pretty much spot on..

Diffusion on the early reflection points are fine in a listening room. In fact we used diffusion when we did T.H.E. Show Newport Beach. I would not recommend it though for a mixing or mastering suite.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
That is pretty much spot on..

Diffusion on the early reflection points are fine in a listening room. In fact we used diffusion when we did T.H.E. Show Newport Beach. I would not recommend it though for a mixing or mastering suite.
My treatment is for 2 channel only. Does it make sense to add scatter plates to 2 of the 242s? If so, I will have one full range 242 and one 242 with scatter plates on the left and right side at the first relection points...or should treatment be symetrical, with absorbtion only at the reflection points.

When I receive the other three 242s, two of them will be mounted on the ceiling. That will cover my first reflection points. What is the next logical place to treat?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:35 AM

I've added scatter plates on the tritrap only. The 244 I used on the first reflection are the plain version without scatter plates.

I have 4 tritrap in the left and right corner with scatter plates. Two 244 on the first reflection point (left and right) and three on the ceiling. My next treatment point will be the back of the room with additional traps. I've put diffusor there but the impact is negligeable in my case.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
I've added scatter plates on the tritrap only. The 244 I used on the first reflection are the plain version without scatter plates.

I have 4 tritrap in the left and right corner with scatter plates. Two 244 on the first reflection point (left and right) and three on the ceiling. My next treatment point will be the back of the room with additional traps. I've put diffusor there but the impact is negligeable in my case.
You have two 244 on each side? How much impact did the tritraps have compared to the 244s?
Old 06-19-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
You have two 244 on each side? How much impact did the tritraps have compared to the 244s?
and three on the ceiling

It's a different impact. I had a room that was quite reflective and the 244 helped reduce the RT60 a lot while not over taming it. It still feels alive.

I believe the 244 had a much more impact than the tritrap but since I added everything at once it's hard for me to say which contributed the most to the sound.

All I know is that the diffusor at the back of the room had a very small effect and that the 244 on the ceiling had a nice impact in the overall soundstage and focus of the sound.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
My treatment is for 2 channel only. Does it make sense to add scatter plates to 2 of the 242s? If so, I will have one full range 242 and one 242 with scatter plates on the left and right side at the first relection points...or should treatment be symetrical, with absorbtion only at the reflection points.

When I receive the other three 242s, two of them will be mounted on the ceiling. That will cover my first reflection points. What is the next logical place to treat?
I would go full range in this case. If it want to try the scatter plates you could use the panels on the front wall and back side walls. Honestly though, when you use diffusion in the early reflection point it gives it an "effect" vs with absorption you get a more direct sound from the speakers. It really comes down to personal taste.

From there I would trap corners and use something on the back wall. If you want to send me pictures of your room I can take a look.