AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT-10 Viper View Post
Crossover is set at 29HZ and volume 25 for my smaller room. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

FYI. Did a REL training at a dealer yesterday. One of the systems included an unbroken in REL G1 and a very broken in pair of Sashas. Ended up at a 30Hz xover and 19 on the gain setting. I expect that as it breaks in the G1 will end up at either 18 or 17.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Metaphacts

How does a G1 compare to the Stentor 3 ?? I see its cheaper than the Stentor 3 ever was.

I do like the remote control, however the bass quality and ability to inegrate to my Strads are of utmost importance.

I am actually not using my sub as much now, thanks to the help of a generous fellow with a lot of experience in setting up Strads. But, having the ability to switch the sub off and on and change settings from the remote is very appealing.

cheers
Interesting that you should bring up the Stentor III as I just had a discussion about dilemmas of the G1 versus the Stentor III. with REL's International Sales and Marketing Director.

If you reset your Strads and they are doing what they should the Crossover will be at A1 or A2. If you do that, you will get a wonderful cushion of air on which the entire sound will ride and a sense of dimension and body that will not happen without a REL. Trouble is that the G1 does all that and is much faster on leading edge transients and has more powerful low, low bass concussiveness. It also works much better in problem rooms.

The G1 really comes into it's own as you add multiples. Noise floor and distortion, which are already vanishingly low with a single, drop.

Understand that the G1 is very different than other RELs in set up. No need for corners and sometimes even prefers to be between the speakers. The crossover has a much steeper slope so you'll end up higher than on the Stentor. Once you think you're all set you'll revisit position and a slight push or tug will lock in the leading edge of transients and you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

BTW if you are switching off the sub, it's not the sub.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT-10 Viper View Post
Received my REL G1 today... Amazing sub. Integrates very well with my Sasha's thanks to my dealer's setup. Digs down very deep. Listening to drum solo right now... WOW. It's that good.
Do you mind sharing your favorite drum recordings with us?
I've heard good things about G1s. My dealer said, that if one has money, get one G1 per front speaker, and you would be in heaven.

Anyone knows if REL plans of releasing G1 in color other than black though? I have Polk LSi system, and taking care of a Piano Gloss black finish is a $^$@!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsBuddy View Post
Do you mind sharing your favorite drum recordings with us?
I've heard good things about G1s. My dealer said, that if one has money, get one G1 per front speaker, and you would be in heaven.

Anyone knows if REL plans of releasing G1 in color other than black though? I have Polk LSi system, and taking care of a Piano Gloss black finish is a $^$@!
The thing that delayed the release of the G1 by many months was trying to create a consistently repeatable graphite/nera finish on the level of the Sonus faber Homage. We weren't able to do it - and that was before Sonus blew away the Homage finish with the Futura finish. It's not like REL doesn't have the capabilities to build great cabinets - their TimberWorks facility builds many of the cabinets for the high end companies that still produce their speakers in the UK. It's just that a finish in natural wood of Homage/Futura caliber is much more difficult and much more expensive than piano black (or any other paint) if you can manage to do it.

So while there may be wood finishes somewhere down the road, I wouldn't count on it.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Interesting that you should bring up the Stentor III as I just had a discussion about dilemmas of the G1 versus the Stentor III. with REL's International Sales and Marketing Director.

If you reset your Strads and they are doing what they should the Crossover will be at A1 or A2. If you do that, you will get a wonderful cushion of air on which the entire sound will ride and a sense of dimension and body that will not happen without a REL. Trouble is that the G1 does all that and is much faster on leading edge transients and has more powerful low, low bass concussiveness. It also works much better in problem rooms.

The G1 really comes into it's own as you add multiples. Noise floor and distortion, which are already vanishingly low with a single, drop.

Understand that the G1 is very different than other RELs in set up. No need for corners and sometimes even prefers to be between the speakers. The crossover has a much steeper slope so you'll end up higher than on the Stentor. Once you think you're all set you'll revisit position and a slight push or tug will lock in the leading edge of transients and you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

BTW if you are switching off the sub, it's not the sub.
ATM I use the sub at either A2 or A3. REL volume can depend on how loud I am playing. And yes I agree, it does add a degree of magic air at all frequences including treble - which is interesting.

Still got fine tuning to do with the Strads, as now a bit thick in the upper bass, so still work to do with the toe out/in and rake. all good things take time thou :-)
Old 04-29-2011, 08:25 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
ATM I use the sub at either A2 or A3. REL volume can depend on how loud I am playing. And yes I agree, it does add a degree of magic air at all frequences including treble - which is interesting.

Still got fine tuning to do with the Strads, as now a bit thick in the upper bass, so still work to do with the toe out/in and rake. all good things take time thou :-)
Ah now I get it. Just be sure to take out the Stentor as you finalize toe/rake and then add it back.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
Ah now I get it. Just be sure to take out the Stentor as you finalize toe/rake and then add it back.
BTW. Australia is still a great place to go on a working holiday. I live only a few minutes from the beach. nudge nudge, hint hint
Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 PM

Does anyone know if there are any plans to replace or discontinue the Studio III?

Greg
Old 03-14-2012, 10:12 AM

Is it recommended to use two or one Rel in a 20X13X8 room? The room has furniture and GIK bass traps and diffusors on the front wall.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:18 PM
From the BAT cave ...

rw@cn, welcome aboard!

Generally, people find that two subs (not co-located) sound better due to evening out the frequency repsonse.

I do not know the Rel specific view. My twin JL Audio F113's made a big improvement in my 24' x 16' x 7' room.