AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 01-29-2013, 01:49 AM

I've gone both ways (with subs).

I use a pair of 8" subs with my Magneplaners. They are set up as true stereo with each sub beside a speaker. Set at 50Hz and blended in using a 1/6th octave spectrum analyzer.

Sound is magical.

Last edited by Niles; 03-13-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Equipment Change
Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 AM

Several years ago while putting together my first HT setup on the cheap just to see if I cared, I got a good deal on the now discontinued Mirage Omni-12. In order to use it with both my 2ch setup and the HT, I rigged up an old Realistic AV Switchbox and ran the HT Sub out, and one side of my dual mono pre-amp to the switchbox and then one from there to the sub. This was far easier than climbing behind the setup and swapping the cable all the time.

When I use my Dynaudios, there is no need for a sub so it's not used. When I have the Clearfields in play, I sometimes flip the sub on for a more fuller sound because the CFs don't go real deep but make up fore it in tone and clarity.

Due to a few factors, I had the sub in the corner behind the rack which is boomy and I know it's not a good spot. Last weekend, I did some cleaning, cable management, and removed a PC which freed up room to move the sub out of the corner for a big improvement.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 AM

It's been a very long time coming but I finally upgraded my fourteen year old subwoofer. I can't believe it's taken me this long to make the upgrade. Anyway, I went from a 10" - 100 watt rms Realistic sub from Radio Shack that only went down to 42Hz to an SVS SB13 Ultra. HUGE difference obviously but I don't use it for music, when I listen to music I use my receiver's "Pure Direct" feature for strict two channel which bypasses and tone controls and the sub. My mains are Paradigm Studio 100s V.4 so they go pretty low on their own without the sub.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:24 PM

I have B&O beolab 5 speakers which are active and have 15" woofers, great bass. I've had them for 7 years now and I'm thinking of changing things up and replacing them with SF Amati futuras or Vienna acoustics "the Music". Despite some impressive specs on these speakers, I have a feeling I'll be missing some bass rumble when I use them for home theater.

I think I can achieve great subwoofer integration using my 2 channel preamp, the Lyngdorf DPA-1 and my multichannel pre-pro the Anthem D2. Great room correction and sub integration from these units.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 AM

[QUOTE=BuffaloBill;244628]Agree. Double bass only goes down to ~ 41.5 Hz. Pedal C on the piano (third lowest note on a standard 88 keyboard) goes down to ~ 31.5 Hz. Very little music is recorded at these low levels. (This is the primary reason why Alan Shaw of Harbeth designs his largest 40.1 monitor to go down to only 40Hz.)

While the actual low E string frequency on an Electric or a Double Bass is 41Hz both instruments posses overtones below the string frequency.

In the case of the Electric Bass these overtones are limited by almost all Bass cabinets and many Direct Input devises. Bag End offers a true sealed ELF Subwoofer / Integrator system for instruments that provides crossover and gain for output well below 20Hz. With this system one can easily can hear these overtones near field. Using the famous acoustic 360/361 18" horn loaded Bass amplifier in a moderately large venue the wavelength for low E begins at approximately 25 feet from the cabinet.

When the proper microphone is used the Upright or Double Bass easily passes its overtones. Players may use a two channel preamplifier that blends the outputs of the microphone and a pickup designed for the Upright.

Bass overtones are quite delicate compared to Organ peddle or synthesized keyboard notes. As a Bass player I have yet to hear a passive truly full range speaker.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Sunny boy1956

A pair of REL G1s in my main stereo rig. Subs should be mandatory !!
Pradeep
Old 03-20-2013, 01:52 PM
Subaholic

I've used many subs through the years, and finally am getting to where I want to be. The added presence a good sub provides is addictive. I'll post up a thread after I get some posts approved on my latest 8 foot long sub I've just finished.

At this years CES show, I was amazed at how many rooms had nothing below 50 hz or so. Very few could come close to reproducing a set of drums or a bass guitar, especially when they cost 20K dollars. That is not what I consider a full range system, and as a musician, very silly to spend that kind of money that doesn't come close to providing a realistic performance in your room, which should be the whole purpose of this hobby.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyboy1956 View Post
A pair of REL G1s in my main stereo rig. Subs should be mandatory !!
Pradeep
Yes. G1's are incredible. Twins are always more fun.