AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 07-31-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Here is the rear view of the Decware Zen Torii amplifier. Configured with a Contemporary Cherry Base ($100) and a 21 position Stepped Attenuator ($150) brings the amp total to $2750.00. Very reasonable.
Looks nice and no bias adjustments. Could be good for a second system. I think there is a price increase coming at the end of August.

Joe
Old 07-31-2011, 12:35 PM

I've got the one with the stepped attenuator and the V-Cap upgrade. The attenuator is nice, because you can match the gain of the amp to your preamp and maximize dynamic range.

Using it with the C500 is a little bit too much of a good thing; even with the 802D's the whole system is a little too warm and slow for my taste. I'm definitely preferring the REF 5 and Burmester 011 for preamp choices, but on the budget side of the fence I bought a Klyne preamp from someone here a while back and that also makes a great combination.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
I've got the one with the stepped attenuator and the V-Cap upgrade. The attenuator is nice, because you can match the gain of the amp to your preamp and maximize dynamic range.

Using it with the C500 is a little bit too much of a good thing; even with the 802D's the whole system is a little too warm and slow for my taste. I'm definitely preferring the REF 5 and Burmester 011 for preamp choices, but on the budget side of the fence I bought a Klyne preamp from someone here a while back and that also makes a great combination.
Jeff...did you try it without a preamp in the chain since it accomodates two inputs and with the stepped attenuator, it essentially functions as an integrated amp. It would be interesting to see what you thought of it as a stand-alone unit vs. having a preamp in the chain
Old 07-31-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post

I sent them an email last week very politely pointing this out but have yet to hear back.
I sent them an email as well.......i am not holding my breath,but you never know.........i just feel the comments on their site are in poor taste is all.......no doubt the amps are decent indeed,but at the expense of putting down Chinese amps.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Jeff...did you try it without a preamp in the chain since it accomodates two inputs and with the stepped attenuator, it essentially functions as an integrated amp. It would be interesting to see what you thought of it as a stand-alone unit vs. having a preamp in the chain
I like it better with a preamp, myself. The inputs are not switchable either....

Ive never been a fan of the passive volume control. One out of ten times when you get a perfect impedance match, it's good, but otherwise it really sucks the dynamics out of the presentation.

What I do like about the attenuator, is that it does let you maximize the input level so that your preamp can be at almost max volume when you drive the amp to max level. Much better dynamic range that way.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
I like it better with a preamp, myself. The inputs are not switchable either....

Ive never been a fan of the passive volume control. One out of ten times when you get a perfect impedance match, it's good, but otherwise it really sucks the dynamics out of the presentation.

What I do like about the attenuator, is that it does let you maximize the input level so that your preamp can be at almost max volume when you drive the amp to max level. Much better dynamic range that way.
Got it. Thx for the feedback.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:11 AM

I could buy such an amp with no problem, even if they bash others on their web site.
But Howie is right : you don't have to bash others to explain what you are. Saying "hand made / point to point soldering / life time warranty" would be enough for everyone to make the difference between Decware and most Chinese amps.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:07 PM

Except the main difference is I make comments on gear I've had my hands on. If you want to label my comments on your behavior as a "personal attack" carry on. I still think it's a cheap shot to make it a point to tell people not to look at Decware's products because you don't like his take on Chinese amplifiers. But if past experience is of any value, I suspect that your blathering will only send him more customers.

I'm not Steve Deckert and I can't be responsible for what he says. I reviewed the Consonance turntable because after using it I thought it represented good value, and because a turntable motor can pretty much be sourced anywhere, even if Consonance goes down in a ball of flames tomorrow.

A big part of what we do in the review process is determining value in a product, both immediate and short term. And we would have reservations about any new product, whether it was made in China or Denmark. We have chosen to review precious few "upstart" companies for this reason.

As you know nothing about my business, you have no idea the amount of gear like this that we turn away for this very reason. I feel telling our readers to purchase gear that may or may not be able to be repaired five years from now is irresponsible.

As I do making comments about products I have never used or know nothing about.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:38 PM

Folks,

THis is AA and not some other silly forum. I am going back and deleting my comments on this issue in a bid to maintain harmony. You might wish to do the same for the sake of reducing the tension.

my apologies for starting the rant.

howie
Old 08-02-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Folks,

THis is AA and not some other silly forum. I am going back and deleting my comments on this issue in a bid to maintain harmony. You might wish to do the same for the sake of reducing the tension.

my apologies for starting the rant.

howie
Bro,

See the mess you started? Told you to "sheesh, sheesh", you no listen.

Better fly down here fast for a durian feast. I wait for you lah! Week after next .... fast approaching and I am waiting.

Nice amps, we buy. Not nice amps, we look and no comments. By the way, Kondo Ongaku coming leh. For you to see .... listen, and then decide if you want to carry one home from here ... or let me do the run in on behalf! Or I can buy for you first also can. Joke, joke, no angry hor!

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar