AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tape Machines

Tape Machines Everything Analog

Old 03-30-2016, 04:25 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpreal View Post
I've been doing this for the past three years. Here are my thoughts: 1. Buy one Tape Project tape of a title you really like and compare it to the LP. In my case I bought Waltz For Debby. If your system is of sufficient resolution, you will hear that the tape sounds different. In my system, it's dynamics and resolution, in favor of the tape. Keep in mind that this varies from tape to tape and record to record. 2. All records will have surface noise, which in my opinion is more annoying than tape hiss. For some records, you may want to use Click Repair RT which is a real-time digital click and pop remover. It will make otherwise marginal records sound great. I was skeptical at first, being an analog guy, but at 24/96, and a good a/d/a converter, it sounds better than I thought it would, and way better than CD or digital downloads. You will not get the TP sound or anything close to it if you have surface noise. 3. TP and others record at 15 ips, 2 track, which will get really expensive very quickly if you record your own tapes. I recommend this only for your very best sounding records. Try 7.5 ips, 2 track, 1800' and you will cut your costs to 1/4 of what 15 ips will cost. 15ips is great for recording studios, editing, and master tape copies with minimal generational loss, but total overkill for most home recording/playback. You are looking at $150+ just for two reels of new blank tape at 15ips for one LP! 4. Expensive mastering tape does not necessarily sound better than cheaper "voice grade" tape. Mastering quality tape (ATR or RMGI) gets you higher output with less tape hiss and more headroom, but remember that most of the audiophile classics were recorded on what would be considered today as low quality tape. 15ips IEC and 7.5ips NAB for home recorded tapes sound real good, even on cheap tape. 5. Don't even consider recording your own tapes without having the ability to easily set bias, record level, and record EQ. You will need to adjust this every time you use a different blank tape type. If you have to take the deck apart every time you switch tape types, this will get old quickly. I use an Otari for recording, because the record settings are on the front panel. 6. I've tried a reel of all the new tapes available (SM911, 900, and 468, LPR35, ATR and MDS36). They are all high-quality. I think that proper bias, record level and record EQ will get you good results with any of them. For eBay, try Quantegy 632 or even lowly Ampex 641. Neither have SSS and record fine, considering the price. 7. 45 RPM audiophile records are the best bets for recording on tape. I have a collection of Classic Records, AP, Blue Note, Direct To Disc, etc. 45s. Not having to flip the record every 1 or 2 tracks is nice!
Outstanding post!!
Old 04-01-2016, 10:04 AM

Yes, great post.