AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-25-2014, 11:00 AM
TLi TLi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 155
Default

I have just put the EH6H30 in my reference 10. The EH sounds brighter and more solid compared with the original Sovtek. It would be just the effect of new tubes. For the relatively small cost for a set of EH tubes, all reference preamp users should give it a try.

I am not going back to Sovtek.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-25-2014, 03:27 PM
dminches dminches is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLi View Post
I use Nordost Sort Kone TC under my reference 10 with very good result.
Whoa. Does one use 1 under each foot or do you use 3?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-25-2014, 05:34 PM
jpspock jpspock is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brussels
Posts: 201
Default

I changed the original sovtek with 6h30dr of 1972, far better than sovtek. I changed tthe 6550we for 6550c , and they were more. But the best result i got is a 6550 tung sol black plate of 1958, a little better than the grrey plate of 1961. Tung Sol explore music as no other one, for my taste.
My conclusion is that 6550 ts and 6h30dr lead ref5se to another world and deeper into music.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-25-2014, 07:45 PM
dminches dminches is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspock View Post
I changed the original sovtek with 6h30dr of 1972, far better than sovtek. I changed tthe 6550we for 6550c , and they were more. But the best result i got is a 6550 tung sol black plate of 1958, a little better than the grrey plate of 1961. Tung Sol explore music as no other one, for my taste.
My conclusion is that 6550 ts and 6h30dr lead ref5se to another world and deeper into music.
Those are the tubes I am using in my Ref 5 SE and Ref 2 Phono SE. It is the best combination I have tried.

I am going to consider isolation, but some of the solutions are very expensive.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-25-2014, 08:40 PM
TLi TLi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

Whoa. Does one use 1 under each foot or do you use 3?
Three is fine but I found 4 is even better.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-26-2014, 06:41 PM
ariess ariess is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspock View Post
I changed the original sovtek with 6h30dr of 1972, far better than sovtek. I changed tthe 6550we for 6550c , and they were more. But the best result i got is a 6550 tung sol black plate of 1958, a little better than the grrey plate of 1961. Tung Sol explore music as no other one, for my taste. My conclusion is that 6550 ts and 6h30dr lead ref5se to another world and deeper into music.
What did you pay for the 6 h30dr's and where did you get them?

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
__________________
ARC Ref160 Monoblocks, ARC Reference 10 Preamp, Esoteric Grandioso P1X/D1X SACD/CD/DAC Stack, G1 Master Rubidium Clock, Aurender N100H, Bowers & Wilkins 800D3, Shunyata Triton V3, 3 Typhon QRs, Sigma NR power cables, Transparent Gen 5 Opus Speaker and XLR Cables, Shunyata Sigma Digital Clock Cable, Stillpoints Ultra 5 & SS, SR Blue Fuses
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-26-2014, 07:20 PM
cmalak's Avatar
cmalak cmalak is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
Those are the tubes I am using in my Ref 5 SE and Ref 2 Phono SE. It is the best combination I have tried.

I am going to consider isolation, but some of the solutions are very expensive.
What is a good/reputable source for the 6H30-DRs and the 1958 6550 Tungsol Balck Plates? If I ask that the measurements on the 6550s be provided as well, what should I be looking for gents? Also, what are we talking about roughly speaking for cost/tube for these two types? te 6H30-DRs that I have seen advertised seem to be in th e$200 range which is quite pricey? What about the Tungsol 6550?

Thx
__________________
Cyril
Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-27-2014, 04:42 AM
tima tima is online now
Living La Vida Vinyl
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
What is a good/reputable source for the 6H30-DRs and the 1958 6550 Tungsol Balck Plates? If I ask that the measurements on the 6550s be provided as well, what should I be looking for gents? Also, what are we talking about roughly speaking for cost/tube for these two types? te 6H30-DRs that I have seen advertised seem to be in th e$200 range which is quite pricey? What about the Tungsol 6550?

Thx
NOS 6H30П-DR try Conus Audio: ~ $175 ea

NOS Black plate Tungsol 6550 1950s: Brent Jesse had them ~$350 ea
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-27-2014, 09:58 AM
dminches dminches is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
What is a good/reputable source for the 6H30-DRs and the 1958 6550 Tungsol Balck Plates? If I ask that the measurements on the 6550s be provided as well, what should I be looking for gents? Also, what are we talking about roughly speaking for cost/tube for these two types? te 6H30-DRs that I have seen advertised seem to be in th e$200 range which is quite pricey? What about the Tungsol 6550?

Thx
I got them from this seller: tanerunlusoy on eBay

They vary in price based on the vintage. He is very good to deal with.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-27-2014, 12:39 PM
cmalak's Avatar
cmalak cmalak is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
NOS 6H30П-DR try Conus Audio: ~ $175 ea NOS Black plate Tungsol 6550 1950s: Brent Jesse had them ~$350 ea
Thx for info
__________________
Cyril
Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:05 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase