AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default McIntosh C2300 In System

REPRINT - Oct.2008

Well, the C42 I bought for the studio system turned into a 38% profit yesterday. I used it in the McIntosh trade-up program, and brought home a brand new C2300 preamp. I moved the C2200 down into the studio system where the C42 had been, and now the C2300 is sitting on the top of my main system rack.

Yesterday I left the stock McIntosh tubes in place, and listened all day, and late into the night. Very smooth, articulate, open sound. This morning I pulled out the line stage 12AX7 tubes, and installed two smooth plate Telefunken 12AX7 tubes in their place. I have been listening to the C2300 since 9:00 AM, and there is no doubt to my ears, the Telefunken tubes are an improvement over the McIntosh issue. The bottom definition is tighter, the mid range is smooth as velvet, and the top end is without comparison, so clean, clear, airy, and life like. A triangle sound hung in the air so crystal clear I felt I could mute it by touching it. Beautiful music comes from this preamp, with a three dimensional sound stage that is solid, wide, and deep. The entire audio spectrum is almost organic. It is so life like, with warmth and breath. It speaks not only to your ears, but also to your soul. I have always loved this about McIntosh equipment. It seems to have a heart beat, and a pulse. It seems to have a life of its own. This is what endears McIntosh to the hearts and minds of owners, and listeners. It is griping and tender at the same time.

I'll have to spend some serious time with the C2300 after it has fully broken in before I can do the proverbial C2200 verses C2300 comparison. At this time, the C2300 seems a tiny bit more open. If this trend continues, it will be the top dog in this house. Time will tell. The build quality is improved over the C2200, with a much better cabinet, solid aluminum side panels, locking connectors for the male ends of balanced XLR cables, and beautiful solid RCA input connectors that are very impressive. The remote control offers some cool functions, too. Not only can you adjust bass, treble and balance with the remote, you can also adjust cartridge loading by remote control for both MM and MC cartridges. You can also adjust audio taper for each input, and turn the LED lighting on or off for the meters from the remote. That is a great feature.

So, the C2300 looks like it will turn out to be a sterling performer in every way, with features to spoil you rotten, and make you lazy. Despite its many functions, the C2300 is very user friendly, and simple to operate. I am impressed with this preamp. What's not to love. It's all there, including that glass window that lets you look at the tubes, with LED tube lighting to make them glow green. The tube lighting can be turned off, but I like the effect when it is on. You can see the two Telefunken tubes I installed on the right, glowing slightly different than the McIntosh tubes due to grid plate differences. This is one spectacular preamp. I think I made the correct move purchasing the C2300.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg C2300 in system.jpg (60.9 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg C2300 tubes.jpg (32.7 KB, 90 views)

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 02-19-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:52 PM

dont you think you should spend time with your new c2300 before changing tubes? this way you get a REAL feel for what It really is? No offence, just make more sence to me
Mcintosh 501(x2) ~ c2300 ~ Mc 303 ~ Marantz 8003 and 7004BD ~ Esoteric DV-60 ~ JL Audio F110 (x 2) ~ Music Hall MMF (Benz silver cart) ~ Audience AU24 E Interconnects/Audio cables/ Power cords ~ Ricard Gray 400 Pro (x3) w/ kubala Power Cords ~Speakers Totem Wind Design-Model one signature Center-Dali Helicon W200 rears
Old 04-15-2009, 09:03 PM

Dan, now that you have spent some time with both the C2300 tube and C1000 solid state, what's your take?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Lenny.......Prior to the C2300 going into my main system (that was last October) I had ample time with a C2200 in the same system, and had spent plenty of time listening to the stock McIntosh issue tubes, and an assortment of tubes from Philips, Mullard, Tung Sol, and Telefunken. I had more than a casual idea of what these various tubes sounded like, the advantages and shortcomings. I did spend a full day and then some liistening to the stock McIntosh labeled tubes that came with the C2300. As with the C2200, I fully expected to hear improvement, particularly with the Telefunken tubes, and I wasn't disappointed when I tried them. The C2300 is now in my studio system, and has Telefunken 12AX7 tubes in the line stage, moving magnet phono stage, and the moving coil phono stage. I heard improvements in all three stages of the C2300 by replacing the stock tubes.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Dan, now that you have spent some time with both the C2300 tube and C1000 solid state, what's your take?
Serge......I listen to the studio system, where the C2300 is installed, 12 to 15 hours a week, and I listen to the main system about 12 hours every day, so I have a preference for the main system. Having said that, I still find the C2300 to be a very detailed, and open preamp. There is a slight tube softening of the presentation, especially in the upper mid range (female vocals), but if I were not coming straight from the C1000P solid state preamp to the C2300, I probably would not be as aware of it. The C1000P still has me in complete awe. Its sound stage, both width and depth are superior to the C2300, and I find I prefer the sharper edge on dynamics that the solid state preamp delivers. What the C1000P has done for my system is make me realize I should have purchased it first. It is a truly amazing piece of electronics that delivers on every level.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Chief Toneologist

Thanks for the early (p)review Dan. I look forward to your impressions after you've spent some quality time with it. I am attracted by some of the features of the 2300 (e.g. remote tone control.)

Alberto
Old 04-15-2009, 10:46 PM

Dan, I hope you know I ment no harm in my post. I didnt know you were going back that long. I too have been scratching my head for a while about changing tubes in my c2300. the more I hear things like what you said, makes me want to try it.

Now I do tend to lean towards tube preamps because I just dont LOVE the edge of ss on the preamp. Dont get me wrong, ss preamps are really nice, its just for me, I want the life like of tubes, in a pre. Dan, Can you give me some more info regarding the switch? now should I do all the tubes? I dont use my phono that much, as I do my DVD and CD. Also, how did you choose what tubes to change to if you dont mind me asking. Thank you Dan, I look forward to your responce.
Mcintosh 501(x2) ~ c2300 ~ Mc 303 ~ Marantz 8003 and 7004BD ~ Esoteric DV-60 ~ JL Audio F110 (x 2) ~ Music Hall MMF (Benz silver cart) ~ Audience AU24 E Interconnects/Audio cables/ Power cords ~ Ricard Gray 400 Pro (x3) w/ kubala Power Cords ~Speakers Totem Wind Design-Model one signature Center-Dali Helicon W200 rears
Old 04-15-2009, 10:48 PM

Also I love the c2300 I really do think for the money its the best preamp mcintosh made in all. I know I will catch alot of flack on this, but remember guys just my opinion. we can agree to disagree, and I am not putting any other unit down. I just think in total it has it all, and with now as dan has said the tube roll, you get life like sound.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Lenny.......I understood your question, and no offense taken. Trust me, I have really thick skin.

If you decide to do some tube rolling with the C2300, start by swapping just the line stage tubes, since your primary sources are CD and DVD. Check the line drawing on the glass panel on the top of the preamp for the line stage tube locations. My photo attachment above shows the two Telefunken tubes in the sockets to the farthest right. The other tubes (at the time the photo was taken) are the stock tubes in both phono stages. They are all 12AX7 tubes, so try a few different manufacturers tubes. Expect to hear differences in the tubes from one manufacturer to the next. I don't want to plant a bunch of preconceived notions in your head about what to expect. Just give each set of tubes you choose at least a few days audition before trying something else. I will tell you that I found the Tung Sol 12AX7 tubes to be the best sound verses cost of all the tubes I tried. At less than $20 each, they sound very good, and are affordable. Don't be afraid to experiment. That's half the fun of owning a tube preamp or amplifier.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:26 PM

thanks Dan, I think I will try this. It could be alot of fun.