AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Cables Galore

Cables Galore Speaker cables, Interconnects & Power cords

Old 02-18-2018, 03:59 AM

Have to careful with PS Audio power cords. I purchased five counterfeit AC-12's in September from three different sellers in the U.S., including on Audiogon. Took about three weeks of burnin to realize something was amiss. Got my money back except for return shipping. The real ones (2m) weigh about 3.5 lbs, while the fakes are around 2 lbs 10 oz. I always ask now for an original receipt or for them to weigh the cords before making an offer (cost me a buy in one case). There are good deals to be had on new ones in the U.S. from dealers and sometimes in the used market, if verified, so no need to play roulette going to China.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:21 AM
Semi-audiophile

It's sounding as if it's safer to buy directly from the company, when possible.

However, maybe that depends upon the brand in question? I've also bought from vendors I am familiar with (Ivan, Music Direct) and noticed nothing amiss. That's how I obtained my Shunyatas. A couple of my Transparents were purchased from a local dealer (Stereo Exchange); most were purchased from Transparent directly. I don't know that I'm sophisticted enough to catch a fake unless it's obvious, so I think I'll keep my circle tight for any future cable buys.
VPI, Grado, SME, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP, TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner; Day-Sequerra antenna; Oppo backup BDP; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh CD, preamp, power amps; Gold Lion preamp tubes; Kimber, Transparent IC/SC, IC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Transparent, Shunyata PCs; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 05-06-2018, 08:12 AM

I have bought and sold used cables in the past but now will only buy from a known and trusted vendor. It's also another way to support B&M which I believe still has a vital role in this business.
Meridian 200/563
Kubala-Sosna/Wywires Silver PC's
Dedicated 20 amp lines
Porter Ports
Rives acoustically designed room
Old 05-06-2018, 04:33 PM

This has been and interesting read. I appreciate all the input.

I guess the old adage "if is sounds to good to be true..."
McIntosh MA8000; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Denon DL-304; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Dokoder 1120; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 20; Woo Audio WA6;
Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000 (3); Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Panamax PM 5400
Old 05-07-2018, 05:55 AM

Kimber happily authenticates cables as well.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:06 PM

I bought a demo pair of 1 meter AQ King Cobras interconnects from a reputable dealer a few years back. One of the pair looked like it was an early or first generation King Cobra and the other one was an obvious counterfeit because the jacket weave was incorrect. I suspect people who had bought counterfeits online were then buying authentic cables from the dealer and sending the counterfeits to the dealer as returns.

I have a pair of XLO Reference 3 interconnects that I like rather well. A while back I thought I'd look for some used Reference 3 or Signature 3. I was perplexed by how authentic the XLO interconnects from China look in pictures. Maybe they are pictures of authentic interconnects; but they would send you something else. The wires, connectors and the hologram sticker on the bead all looked authentic in the pictures. I think they even listed them as new instead of used and of course they were priced at about 80% lower than the usual retail price. I received my XLO's direct from the company. I'm afraid to buy XLO's used if they have been copied so well.