AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Revel Speakers

Revel Speakers The Science of Sound

Old 05-20-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
As I recall, when I first got here not that long ago, you had a pair of Salon2s for sale. Do you reckon the same outcome had the F208s been run off against the Salons? This is of course of some considerable consequence to me.

The LF performance of the F208s is quite satisfying in my room. The absolute weight of a larger speaker's performance is absent, but the F208s are not slouches in this area. Bass is tight, tuneful and well defined with very little if any overhang or annoying resonances. When I put the spurs to them, they acquit themselves quite well and the balance between lows, mids and highs is right on the money. No doubt a lot of this has to do with our new room which seems to suit these speakers very well.

It has crossed my mind more than once that these things with a couple of subs could be the right solution here but I'm committed to the Salon2s at this point so I'll wait and see.
Hi Lew,

In my opinion, the Revel Salon 2 sound significantly better than both the Studio 2 and the F208. The Salon 2 has the best implementation of a beryllium tweeter I've ever heard (better than the Magico S7 IMHO). It is smooth and effortless and blends seamlessly with the midrange. This is due to the two midrange drivers (higher and lower), which provide a smoother transition to the tweeter and allow a higher crossover frequency than on the Studio 2. The Salon 2 are more linear than the Studio 2 and F208 from top to bottom, more transparent, have a bigger soundstage, more weighty presentation and tighter, more powerful and impactful bass.

I would rank them as follows:
Salon 2 = 10.0
F208 = 8.5
Studio 2 = 8.0

No tomatoes please!

Ken
Old 05-20-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Thanks Ken. That's what I've herd from other people I trust as well.
Hi Lew,

One additional note. The Salon 2 require more power than the F208 to sound their best. This is due to more drivers that are more heavily damped than the F208. I used Pass Labs XA-100.5 monoblocks to drive them which worked wonderfully.

Best of luck,
Ken
Old 05-20-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Lew,

In my opinion, the Revel Salon 2 sound significantly better than both the Studio 2 and the F208. The Salon 2 has the best implementation of a beryllium tweeter I've ever heard (better than the Magico S7 IMHO). It is smooth and effortless and blends seamlessly with the midrange. This is due to the two midrange drivers (higher and lower), which provide a smoother transition to the tweeter and allow a higher crossover frequency than on the Studio 2. The Salon 2 are more linear than the Studio 2 and F208 from top to bottom, more transparent, have a bigger soundstage, more weighty presentation and tighter, more powerful and impactful bass.

I would rank them as follows:
Salon 2 = 10.0
F208 = 8.5
Studio 2 = 8.0

No tomatoes please!

Ken
Thanks Ken. That's what I've heard from other people I trust as well. Having them in the room tells all. I'm eager to have that happen! I should'a bought yours! They were an exceptionally good deal.......and I'd have them already!
Old 05-20-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Lew,

One additional note. The Salon 2 require more power than the F208 to sound their best. This is due to more drivers that are more heavily damped than the F208. I used Pass Labs XA-100.5 monoblocks to drive them which worked wonderfully.

Best of luck,
Ken
I've got the 452 for now, The F208s can soak up a ggodly part of that before I think..... "that's enough." At that point though, the room is fully energized at a level I find uncomfortable.

To be clear, I believe the MC452 should do the job.

Last edited by Pampero; 06-11-2016 at 12:27 AM.