AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Ayre

Ayre A new dimension of musical enjoyment

Old 06-03-2012, 12:24 AM

The local dealer loaned me a DX5 for a while and I have to say it was a very nice system. The DAC was IMHO slightly better than the QB9 on which it was based.

But there were a few things that I just couldn't get over (OK I am picky).

The transport was just slightly improved over the regular Oppo's. It still jumped a bit when you ejected it and there was some give.

And I thought it was a bit clumsy when switching over from the DAC side (USB) to the disc spinner side.

It just felt a bit like a Frankenstein product and for the price it commanded, it seemed a bit too much for me to accept.

The sound though was impeccable and I loved the ability to playback DVD-Audio as well.

In the end, I went with an EMM Labs XDS1 for my main setup, using an Oppo95 to feed optical out to the XDS1's optical input to playback DVD-A. Preamp is an Audio Research Reference 5SE, partnered with Electrocompaniet Nemos driving Thiel CS3.7s (twin SmartSub2s and S1 integrator)

I am also setting up a second system using a Playback Designs MPS-5 with the USB-X box partnered with a spare Ayon CD5S as a preamp. Plinius SA-Reference driving Lenehan ML2 Reference speakers.

I think those two players are also well worth considering if you don't need DVD-A playback.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
The local dealer loaned me a DX5 for a while and I have to say it was a very nice system. The DAC was IMHO slightly better than the QB9 on which it was based.

The transport was just slightly improved over the regular Oppo's. It still jumped a bit when you ejected it and there was some give.

And I thought it was a bit clumsy when switching over from the DAC side (USB) to the disc spinner side.

It just felt a bit like a Frankenstein product and for the price it commanded, it seemed a bit too much for me to accept.

The sound though was impeccable and I loved the ability to playback DVD-Audio as well.

In the end, I went with an EMM Labs XDS1 for my main setup, using an Oppo95 to feed optical out to the XDS1's optical input to playback DVD-A. Preamp is an Audio Research Reference 5SE, partnered with Electrocompaniet Nemos driving Thiel CS3.7s (twin SmartSub2s and S1 integrator)

I am also setting up a second system using a Playback Designs MPS-5 with the USB-X box partnered with a spare Ayon CD5S as a preamp. Plinius SA-Reference driving Lenehan ML2 Reference speakers.

I think those two players are also well worth considering if you don't need DVD-A playback.
doggiehowser...very nice systems you have put together
Old 06-03-2012, 01:48 AM

Doggiehowser,

How would you compare the XDS1 vs the MPS5? I really like what I see and read about the Playback Designs unit. It's on my short list. The ability the use computer playback and cd/sacd is a bonus to me.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:25 AM

I have auditioned a friend's Playback MPS5 in my own room a while back against the XDS1, but this was an older MPS5 sans the USB-X box. I am still waiting for my MPS5 (with USBX) to arrive. Was told early June so should be any time now.

Both are more similar than they are different and IMHO the choice may depend on system synergies.

The XDS1 is a bit leaner in the mid bass vs the MPS5 but it does sound more detailed.

In my earlier configuration, I would have gone with the MPS5 because the mid bass was more pronounced (which I liked) and it sounded closer to my Project RPM10.1/Sumiko Blackbird/Bel Canto Phono3 analog setup.

Since then, I have swapped my Bel Canto REF1000Ms for Nemos and used a Sound Application RLS240 conditioners for the power amps which IMHO helped make the sound fuller and more life-like. In that configuration, the XDS1 seemed a better fit.

The XDS1 IMHO would have been perfect had they included a USB DSD input. It was a big oversight IMHO. You'd have to add a DAC2X to get that functionality and unlike the MPS5/MPD5 combo, you can't hook the XDS1 to the DAC2X to get multichannel SACD playback.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Lifetime audio addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post

Doggiehowser,

So as a "one box" solution I shouldn't buy one? I need a unit that sounds good on CD playback and will also give satisfaction with a great picture and audio when watching Blu Ray. I listen to CD thru a CX-7e and playback video to my theater through a Panasonic BD-30 currently. I have delayed this decision for awhile because I wasn't sure if it is more of a lateral move or a true upgrade for audio and video performance? I plan on using the USB side of it in my system also. Using it with a Classe SSP-800 into Mark Levinson 335 and 433 amps driving Wilson WP/7's for the front channels and Sophias for the rears. I have always had an issue with the plastic drawer that Ayre uses with their players. My friends were here listening one time and since the room is treated and quiet they were like WTF was that when the drawer opened up on my CX-7 e initially. Of course they gave me a bad time regarding it!
Speakers Wilson Audio Maxx 3
Cables Transparent Reference Gen 5
Equipment rack and amp stands HRS
Power conditioning Transparent
Power outlets GTX-D(G) Gold-Plated duplex receptacles dedicated 20 amp lines.

Last edited by Sharp 1080; 06-06-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:52 PM

I can't say if it would work for you or not. But it is a one box solution which is important to you and it sounds quite good. Perhaps not in the same class as the Playback or the EMM Labs but those are in a different price range. I only have reasons why I didn't plonk for it.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Is the Ayre DX5 (still) competitive given the much cheaper and annually developed Oppo players on which it is based?
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:34 PM

-- That, is a question only you can honestly answer.

No one puts the same 'money value' on 'thanks' (things) of life (audio, video, wheels, homes, travels, watches, spirits; liquors, wines, cigars, ,,,).

For me, it ain't. I'm an Oppo money bracket man (105).

Usually, normally, the rest of your system dictates your audio/video destiny.
You can get the 105, and buy a lot of SACDs and Blu-rays with the money saved over the Ayre DX5. ...Excellent way to look at it.
Plus, the 105 has a great deal more features.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:55 AM
Mac + Ayre + Vivid + Stax

Bob, thanks for the prompt reply. My intuition tells me you'r right.
ACDC - Back in Black. Adele - 19. Bryan Adams - Bare Bones. Diana Krall - Live in Paris; When I Look in Your Eyes. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Don Williams - Borrowed Tales. FleetwoodMac - Tango in the Night. Frank Sinatra - At the Sands. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. Gipsy Kings - Love Songs. Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark. Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert. Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear. Marta Gómez - Entre Cada Palabra. Metallica - Metallica. Michael Jackson - Thriller. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed. Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound of Thunder; Wish You Were Here. Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Live in Japan. U2 - Rattle and Hum.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:48 PM

I too had the pleasure of auitioning the Ayre DX-5 for a few weeks.

It is very good and definitely worth it's asking price if you have a good syetem for it to feed to. As a standalone Blu Ray and Stereo player, you probably couldn't find better.

It is just that I could get better 5.1 performanance from my setup on the Denon DVD-A1UD Blu Ray Universal player and I got a little more emotion for stereo from my
EMM Labs CDSA.....that prevented me from buying the DX-5.

(Audio)