AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Japanese Exotica

Japanese Exotica Kondo, Leben, Luxman, Zanden

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchperfect View Post
Agree about being intoxicating - the Sonus Faber speakers, however, although much less romantic and warm than previous generations, were responsible for the romantic part of that equation, from my experience.

Shindo makes a wide range of amps suitable for basically any speaker on the market.

His latest amps, the Corton Charlemagne "Q" amps, are parallel push pull 70wpc EL34, for speakers with high power requirements.

-Matt
Matt,
How the Corton Charlemagne Q amps sound compared to the low power SET amps ? Do they give up some of the magic ?
I'm highly interested in buying those.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:19 PM

Hello Jerome, it seems like that you are back to the SHINDO idea.

Feel free to call me if ever you can stop by Brittany/Rennes.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 08-13-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellindo View Post
Hello Jerome, it seems like that you are back to the SHINDO idea.

Feel free to call me if ever you can stop by Brittany/Rennes.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Thanks Laurent !
Old 08-13-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C220MC275 View Post
Matt,
How the Corton Charlemagne Q amps sound compared to the low power SET amps ? Do they give up some of the magic ?
I'm highly interested in buying those.
I'll post my thoughts on this. I have many SET amps and used to think that only SET could convey music properly. I've since come to believe that topology by itself is only part of the equation. While all Shindo amps are different I don't believe the SET are inherently better than the push-pull. Just different. That's not to say that you will not have a preference. However, I would not dismiss the push-pull Shindo's out of hand. It's amazing what can happen given a well designed circuit that optimizes the strength of the output tube.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion
Old 08-14-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelius View Post
I'll post my thoughts on this. I have many SET amps and used to think that only SET could convey music properly. I've since come to believe that topology by itself is only part of the equation. While all Shindo amps are different I don't believe the SET are inherently better than the push-pull. Just different. That's not to say that you will not have a preference. However, I would not dismiss the push-pull Shindo's out of hand. It's amazing what can happen given a well designed circuit that optimizes the strength of the output tube.
Scott,

In your system and for your tastes do you prefer SET or push-pull? I think you mentioned that SET was your preference but couldn't remember.

I'd like to hear an SET system (never have yet) to see (or hear) the differences for myself someday.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhesiv View Post
Scott,

In your system and for your tastes do you prefer SET or push-pull? I think you mentioned that SET was your preference but couldn't remember.

I'd like to hear an SET system (never have yet) to see (or hear) the differences for myself someday.
I have two different speakers and for one I prefer SET and the other I prefer push-pull or OTL. I also prefer different amps with different music genres. I tend to go SET with intimate vocals, jazz and Chamber music while going PP or OTL with larger symphonic works (Bruckner, Mahler, Shostakovich) and when I want to rock out. Another topology I think is very underated is SEP (Single Ended Pentodes). The major Triode tubes (45,2A3,300B) are pretty expensive but you can still get SEP tubes that are very reasonable and IMO SEP can sound just as emotionally involving as SET.

I think everyone should experience a good push-pull, SET/SEP and OTL in their audio journey.
Speakers: Tonian classic 12 (PHY driver) and Hawthorn Audio Trios (Open Baffle). Analog Source: Nottingham Ana-log, Garrard 301. Tonearms: SME 312S, SME M2-12R, Nottingham Unipivot. Cartridge: Koetsu Onyx, Lyra Helikon Mono, Ortofon SPU Classic. Digital Source: Eastern Electric Dac +. Electronics: Shindo Vosne Romane Preamp, 45,2A3,300B,F2a,GM70 SET amps, Atma-sphere S30 OTL, Dynaco ST-70, Shindo Haut-Brion
Old 08-14-2011, 06:07 PM

Agreed, there are certain things that an SET does that nothing else can.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:47 PM

I don't come around here much at all but I noticed this thread and it is silly.
I own Shindo gear purchased from Matt and I have had problems with it.
Matt dealt with the problems quickly and professionally and my issues were resolved.
The benefits of buying Shindo far outweigh the ridiculous fear that years from now you might have trouble repairing it.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haurock View Post

"Would the sound quality of Shindo equipment be as good as it was if the equipment is repaired by someone else?"....

I've yet to see any response that addresses this simple question.

If it can be repaired by anyone and with any suitable parts.. then what distinguishes Shindo tube amps and preamps from any other tube amps and preamps? Something tells me that it has to do with who built and more so, how it was built...... and if they are in fact unique and individually made, then anything that is done after the fact, may very well affect the sound it delivers.
Yes indeed!-- Excellent Point and I'd like an answer as well-- here in Australia Shindo "factory authorised"

service is non existent--If I have a problem and take it to a "service tech" how will I know he will not just

plonk parts in to make sounds come out?

Does Shindo supply "authorised" parts to Techs if they are needed?

Will they supply the Schematics if required to said Tech ?

Just enquiring that's all

Des
Old 01-08-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesW

Yes indeed!-- Excellent Point and I'd like an answer as well-- here in Australia Shindo "factory authorised"

service is non existent--If I have a problem and take it to a "service tech" how will I know he will not just

plonk parts in to make sounds come out?

Does Shindo supply "authorised" parts to Techs if they are needed?

Will they supply the Schematics if required to said Tech ?

Just enquiring that's all

Des
If you purchased from an authorized dealer I would suspect that he could assist you in having it sent wherever - perhaps back to Shindo in Japan - that it needs to go.
Closed Thread