AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 10-27-2013, 11:30 AM

Default ARC LS17SE v ARC LS27

Have the LS17SE and thinking of upgrading to the LS27. Is the jump worth the difference of $3000? Anyone make a similar move? Have a VS 115 amp.

Last edited by jdandy; 04-27-2014 at 12:15 PM. Reason: corrected title
Old 11-01-2013, 12:07 PM

If it were my coin I would try and find a used or demo Ref5SE.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
Have the LS17SE and thinking of upgrading to the LS27. Is the jump worth the difference of $3000? Anyone make a similar move?
as a matter of fact I did, as for the 3k......nobody pays msrp do they ?? I've owned various ARC pieces over the past twenty plus years and have always gotten a min of 10 % off msrp. Anyways, I'm more than happy with my outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninAudio View Post
If it were my coin I would try and find a used or demo Ref5SE.
excellent advice IMO ......... I did look at this scenario but at the time none were available.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Have the LS17SE and thinking of upgrading to the LS27. Is the jump worth the difference of $3000? Anyone make a similar move? Have a VS 115 amp.
I just made the jump from the LS17SE to the Ref 3. You can pick up a very good example for around 5k vs $7k (less any discount + sales tax) for the LS27.
In my opinion the LS27 is very nice, however to me the big benefit between the LS17SE and LS27 is in features (mono, adjustable gain), display and in/outputs, etc. it does sound slightly larger than the LS17SE, however compared to the Ref 3 it was an easy decision for me. Just my two cents. Aesthetically it pairs better with my Ref 110 too.

Last edited by Bavarian05; 11-01-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:05 PM

Bavarian- did you hear the LS 27 side by side with Ref 3? Or is your comparison of the LS 17 SE with only the Ref3? Have read in other forums that the LS27 is very close to the Ref3 and one of the reasons for the SE version of the Ref5 is that the LS 27 was pushing it in regards to performance. Have no idea as I have not had a chance to do any side by side comparisons with the LS17SE. Bumping around in the dark on this. Have enjoyed the LS 17SE and want to stay in ARC family.
Thanks to all for the responses.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Bavarian- did you hear the LS 27 side by side with Ref 3? Or is your comparison of the LS 17 SE with only the Ref3? Have read in other forums that the LS27 is very close to the Ref3 and one of the reasons for the SE version of the Ref5 is that the LS 27 was pushing it in regards to performance. Have no idea as I have not had a chance to do any side by side comparisons with the LS17SE. Bumping around in the dark on this. Have enjoyed the LS 17SE and want to stay in ARC family.
Thanks to all for the responses.
Hi Quin,

I did compare all three. My dealer had a LS17SE, LS27 and a used Ref 3. The only reason I went in to hear the Ref 3 was I had inquired about moving up to LS27 and my dealer asked "Why when you can get a Ref 3 for less money"? According to him, the value will remain much more stable for years to come and there was no question after listening that in terms of soundstage size, depth and detail I had a strong preference for the Ref 3. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the LS27 and your are correct that the difference is not massive, but a different type of sound. The Ref 3 sounded more continuous and the LS27 sounded a little more solid state if that makes any sense at all. I assume this comes down to the solid state vs. tube power supply - but not certain. Just my experience.

Last edited by Bavarian05; 11-02-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:08 AM

Good advise Bavarian. Appreciate your input. Hard to go wrong either way. Kind of like the adjustable gain with the LS27 but feel I would be more satisfied with the tubes in the power supply of the Ref 3. May just hang back and jump on a Ref 5SE in a year or so.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Good advise Bavarian. Appreciate your input. Hard to go wrong either way. Kind of like the adjustable gain with the LS27 but feel I would be more satisfied with the tubes in the power supply of the Ref 3. May just hang back and jump on a Ref 5SE in a year or so.
Can't argue with that thinking!
Let us know when you pull the trigger or if you get a chance to hear the LS27 or Ref 3.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post

Hi Quin,

I did compare all three. My dealer had a LS17SE, LS27 and a used Ref 3. The only reason I went in to hear the Ref 3 was I had inquired about moving up to LS27 and my dealer asked "Why when you can get a Ref 3 for less money"? According to him, the value will remain much more stable for years to come and there was no question after listening that in terms of soundstage size, depth and detail I had a strong preference for the Ref 3. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the LS27 and your are correct that the difference is not massive, but a different type of sound. The Ref 3 sounded more continuous and the LS27 sounded a little more solid state if that makes any sense at all. I assume this comes down to the solid state vs. tube power supply - but not certain. Just my experience.
Prior to purchasing my LS27 I looked and listened long and hard at a used REF3. In the end I purchased the LS27. This was not an easy decision.

There were some aspects of the REF3 that I thought were better than the LS27 such as the sound stage. There were some aspects if the LS27 that I thought were superior such as the "quickness". In the end there were two intangibles that factored into my decision.

The first was that the LS27 was new and had a warranty. The second was that when I upgrade the LS27 in a few years it may still be a current model or one model old and should be real easy to sell.

IMHO the best bang for for the $$$ in the ARC lineup is the LS27. That being said I have also heard the REF5 and REF40, and they are superior in every way but also more costly.

The real dilemma is for the people considering a new REF5SE; why not consider a used REF40 for a few thousand more. This is the angle the I would consider if I was to upgrade in the very neat future.

As stated by Bavarian let us know what you do in the future and your take on the LS27 and REF3 if you have a chance to hear them. Don't think you can go wrong with ether one as they are both great.

Last edited by Alki; 11-02-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki View Post

Prior to purchasing my LS27 I looked and listened long and hard at a used REF3. In the end I purchased the LS27. This was not an easy decision.

There were some aspects of the REF3 that I thought were better than the LS27 such as the sound stage. There were some aspects if the LS27 that I thought were superior such as the "quickness". In the end there were two intangibles that factored into my decision.

The first was that the LS27 was new and had a warranty. The second was that when I upgrade the LS27 in a few years it may still be a current model or one model old and should be real easy to sell.

IMHO the best bang for for the $$$ in the ARC lineup is the LS27. That being said I have also heard the REF5 and REF40, and they are superior in every way but also more costly.

The real dilemma is for the people considering a new REF5SE; why not consider a used REF40 for a few thousand more. This is the angle the I would consider if I was to upgrade in the very neat future.

As stated by Bavarian let us know what you do in the future and your take on the LS27 and REF3 if you have a chance to hear them. Don't think you can go wrong with ether one as they are both great.
Very valid points. I agree with your assessment as well. We each have different aspects of reproduction that we favor. My big thing is imaging and a large solid soundstage.
The LS27 sounded faster, though didn't quite manage the same stage as the Ref 3. Both awesome pieces regardless. Can't go wrong either way if you ask me.