AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 07-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
My Lexus car was built in Japan. My Rolex watch was built in Switzerland. My PMC speakers were built in England. Some Steinway pianos are now being built in Korea. My current McIntosh integrated amp was built in the United States. I need another intergrated amp to power my 4 ohm LS320 speakers and it might just be built in China. It is a global economy. Competition and innovation lead to economic progress.
BuffaloBill.......Yes, it is a global economy, but would you have purchased the Lexus if it were built in China? Would you own the McIntosh if it were made in Korea? It might be a global economy, but individual preferences still control purchasing decisions. Would a Rolex made in China carry the same aura as one made in Switzerland?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 07-09-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
BuffaloBill.......Yes, it is a global economy, but would you have purchased the Lexus if it were built in China? Would you own the McIntosh if it were made in Korea? It might be a global economy, but individual preferences still control purchasing decisions. Would a Rolex made in China carry the same aura as one made in Switzerland?
They do make Rolex in China and it costs $40 in Chinatown.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Merry Christmas to all

BuffaloBill.......I do understand your point of view. There are many fine audio products now being manufactured in China. Krell, and PS audio are two companies that are taking advantage of the lower labor costs to bring to market competitively priced high-end products that would certainly be more expensive were they manufactured elsewhere.

My biggest concern with China's current manufacturing surge is quality control. I have personally experienced a few high-end products that looked good, performed to specifications but failed in a short period of time, and required replacement. When manufacturing costs become balanced with quality output that thoroughly supports serious product testing and quality control, producing products that reliably operate within design specifications for 10 to 20 years, I will be much more supportive of those products with my purchasing power.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 07-09-2009, 10:12 PM

Dan, we are only talking about a $2.5k integrated amp. It is designed by and parts selected by a renowned and respected US audio engineer. There is no evidence that workmanship is substandard just because it is assembled in China. Krell warrants their products for 5 years as opposed to McIntosh for only 3 years. Not everything made in the US is always trustworthy, e.g., MCD201.

Last edited by BuffaloBill; 07-09-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Merry Christmas to all

BuffaloBill.......I am not disagreeing with you about the Krell S300i, although time will be the ultimate judge with respect to the five year Krell warranty. Not everything made anywhere is always trustworthy.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
This is ONE little amp that I would really like to hear!!!
IMO S300i is a much better amp than 400xi it replaces, more natural, less forced, with superior resolution and sound stage depth. 400xi is more handsome and its chassis is better build - S300i on the other hand is bigger, heavier and more feature packed.

The amp is made in China, BUT on the other hand it costs the same as 400xi 8 ears ago when it was first introduced - something that would not be possible If the amp was still US made.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:42 PM

i love the 400xi, i wonder how the s300i compares