AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 04-24-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
I have this box set. Superb.
The Lewis cycle is my favorite, followed by Goode's. In retrospect, I wish I had waited for the complete box, opting instead to buy each of the four separate volumes as he released them due to the high praise they were receiving and with no assurance there would be a box. I do wish ECM would release the Schiff cycle in a single box; the discs I've borrowed from a friend are mighty fine. If I ever were to add a NAS, his cycle is high on my list of things to rip.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:47 AM

This is a Kubelik Sunday, having just received the Sony box of his recordings of Mozart's late symphonies, Schumann's 1-4 plus Manfred, and Bruckner's 3-4, representing some of the finest of each respective set IMO, all played by the BRSO with excellent sound. I wish the set included my other favorite Kubelik -- Dvorak's 8-9 with BPO, but since that was recorded by DG, I concede it's an unrealistic expectation.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
The Lewis cycle is my favorite, followed by Goode's. In retrospect, I wish I had waited for the complete box, opting instead to buy each of the four separate volumes as he released them due to the high praise they were receiving and with no assurance there would be a box. I do wish ECM would release the Schiff cycle in a single box; the discs I've borrowed from a friend are mighty fine. If I ever were to add a NAS, his cycle is high on my list of things to rip.
Lewis' set is my overall favorite, too. It would hard to find a set that beats it in terms of power, poetry, and sound. The audio quality equals or exceeds many of my SACDs--Harmonia Mundi really got it right! I'm looking forward to hearing his new CD of Brahms' Piano Concerto No.1.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:48 PM

So, if he, like his teacher Brendel, only improves with time, imagine our collective delight when a decade from now he releases his second cycle!

Have you heard his Schubert recordings? Pianists who interpret Beethoven well seem to do so equally with Schubert. But I have yet to hear Lewis' Schubert sonatas.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:26 PM
Life is beautiful

The treasures of Claude Le Jeune
Huelgas Ensemble, Paul Van Nevel

We saw this ensemble yesterday.
2 concerts.
The first one with music from Rebelo, pure polyphony.
The second with old Portuguese songs, accompanied by old instruments.
On the other side of the podium a Fado trio with António Rocha, who is called the pope of Fado.
There was a dialogue: 3 medieval/renaissance songs, then 3 Fados.
Rocha is almost 78 years old but performs still every evening. he was accompanied by 2 excellent guitarists.
An enjoyable evening!
The concert was part of an all Portuguese weekend in the Concertgebouw Brugge.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 04-24-2016, 03:47 PM
Life is beautiful

Beethoven - Symphony No. 4 & 6
Budapest Festival Orchestra, Iván Fischer

Very fine 5.0 recording and a good performance too.
We'll be seeing Fischer and his gang within a couple of weeks.
Mozart's 'Die Zauberflöte', 'Requiem' and 'Clarinet Concerto'.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 04-24-2016, 05:42 PM
Life is beautiful

Michelangelo Rossi - La Poesia cromatica
Huelgas Ensemble, Paul Van Nevel

Live recording, and a world premiere one at the same time.
Listening in surround, which adds to the experience.
Nice album.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
So, if he, like his teacher Brendel, only improves with time, imagine our collective delight when a decade from now he releases his second cycle!

Have you heard his Schubert recordings? Pianists who interpret Beethoven well seem to do so equally with Schubert. But I have yet to hear Lewis' Schubert sonatas.
Yes--they are equally wonderful.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:59 PM

For a recording made in 1959, this sounds pretty darn good. I prefer his Berlin remake, but this is certainly a fine performance.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:25 PM

^^^
I think this is the version used in the Space Odyssey movie