AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 09-17-2019, 08:01 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post
I realize you ended up with MC611 but I was wondering if you had anything to add about your assessment. I’m in the market for amps to drive my 803D3 and narrowed my choices to Mcintosh or Bryston specifically, MC452, MC462, MC601, 4B3, and 7B3. Budget will play a part in the final choice. I've demo'd Mac gear with the speakers and I’m familiar with how the two sound together but not Bryston. IMO The Mac which sounds great helps tone down the 803D3's brightness but at the cost of some clarity. My question is with Bryston do I gain back the clarity while retaining warmness or slight less warmth?
Hi Doug,
To my ears, the 4B3 sounded a tad less warm then the MC452, but honestly, I would be happy with the Bryston.

I own the Bryston 9BST for close to 20 years, and it’s a great amp, and Bryston’s 20-year warranty is second to none. I had to change the amp cards on the 5-channel 9BST a couple times over the last 20 years, and each time, Bryston service is top notch.

I say if you could audition the MC462 vs. 4B3 and see which you like (it took me few hours but my dealer was great). I believe the 462 has a new design which increases headroom quite a bit versus the 452 (66%), so if budget allows and if you opt for the Mac, I would suggest going with the new model 462 (vs. 452). The 462 is 450W so ample to drive your 803D3 (a fantastic loudspeaders!), so I think you would not need to go to 7B3 or MC601/MC611, and save money for other equipment.

Keep us posted of your decision.
Amps: Mc611s; Bryston 9BST Speakers: B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, B&W SCMs, 2x REL Carbon Special + Analysis Plus REL SpeakOn cable; Pre-Amp: C2700; Processor: Marantz 8805A Sources: Aurender N20; PSA Directstream DAC; JVC RS2000; Stewart Screen Cabaret with StudioTek 130 G4; Oppo UDP-205; Power & Cables: Taralabs bi-wire; WW XLR Silver Eclipse 8; WW Silver Starlight 7 Coax; Denali 6000T, Shunyata Alpha, Delta and Venom.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn2803 View Post
Hi Doug,
To my ears, the 4B3 sounded a tad less warm then the MC452, but honestly, I would be happy with the Bryston.

I own the Bryston 9BST for close to 20 years, and it’s a great amp, and Bryston’s 20-year warranty is second to none. I had to change the amp cards on the 5-channel 9BST a couple times over the last 20 years, and each time, Bryston service is top notch.

I say if you could audition the MC462 vs. 4B3 and see which you like (it took me few hours but my dealer was great). I believe the 462 has a new design which increases headroom quite a bit versus the 452 (66%), so if budget allows and if you opt for the Mac, I would suggest going with the new model 462 (vs. 452). The 462 is 450W so ample to drive your 803D3 (a fantastic loudspeaders!), so I think you would not need to go to 7B3 or MC601/MC611, and save money for other equipment.

Keep us posted of your decision.
Thanks and I definitely will keep everyone posted. My dealer has a Mac night coming up in October which I plan on checking out the 462. The problem comes up with Bryston. No deals around to demo. I did put feelers out with Ivan and if I purchase new that will most likely be the route I’ll go.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 10-20-2019, 10:48 AM

I have some B&W 802D and use a McIntosh MC-302. Magical
Old 10-20-2019, 02:53 PM

Welcome, beatboy77

I bet your set-up sounds great.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 11-14-2019, 04:24 PM

Any dedicated amplifier with ample current reserves will make them sing. Current is like money, you can never have too much. Like many around here I'm partial to Mc. But there are definitely other good choices if you are so inclined. Again, completely disregard the suggested power ratings, if anything, the maximum quoted should be close to the lowest rated amp to consider.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wised View Post
Any dedicated amplifier with ample current reserves will make them sing. Current is like money, you can never have too much. Like many around here I'm partial to Mc. But there are definitely other good choices if you are so inclined. Again, completely disregard the suggested power ratings, if anything, the maximum quoted should be close to the lowest rated amp to consider.
With all due respect--I would not go with "any dedicated amplifier with ample current reserves". Electronics will make a huge qualitative difference in the sound, independent of the power rating. The character of my B&Ws changes dramatically with Mc tubes, Mc SS, Luxman, Marantz, NAD. Listen to several great amps with sufficient power, then pick your favorite

Last edited by PeterMusic; 11-16-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
Listen to several great amps with sufficient power, then pick your favorite
Bi-amping is also an option for consideration. At the moment I'm driving my 800D2 woofers with Hypex based class D monoblock amplifiers with excellent results.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:13 AM

My personal favorites include
PS Audio BHK Monos with BHK Pre
Audio Research Ref 6 with Dan D’Agostino Progression Mono
Old 11-18-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
With all due respect--I would not go with "any dedicated amplifier with ample current reserves". Electronics will make a huge qualitative difference in the sound, independent of the power rating. The character of my B&Ws changes dramatically with Mc tubes, Mc SS, Luxman, Marantz, NAD. Listen to several great amps with sufficient power, then pick your favorite
Ample current reserves is kind way to say expensive. 200 watts RMS per channel is a useless specification for example. On the other hand power reserves dynamic headroom etc are the true measures of "current reserves". Quality amps are in general not only heavy but expensive too since all that reserve current takes large capacitors and transformers. Amps can have particular sigantures which may or not be appreciated by anyone in particular. However the best signature is none at all. The so called openess amp heads so much talk about is the capacity to provide ten times a nominal output of 100watts, for example, to 1000 while still staying within much less less than 1% distortion. Few to none maintream "hifi gear" can provide that type of power aka current". Of course it depends on the speakers but thereare few very good quality speakers with efficiencies of significantly more than 90db or so. If you want to listen at realistic live performance levels of over 90dbs plus you need a ton of power. My 200 watt mac 6700 could not drive my 803D3s without cranking it to clipping levels to do it, so I had to jump to the MC462. An amp that can provide 3 times the peak power than the receiver can provide 1800 vs 600 watts. That type of headroom is why big high current amp seem to breath regardless of brand, the capacity to accurately portray live music in all its splendor.

Last edited by Wised; 11-18-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
Bi-amping is also an option for consideration. At the moment I'm driving my 800D2 woofers with Hypex based class D monoblock amplifiers with excellent results.
Class Ds are perfectly fine for "subs". Virtually all self powered subs have gone that route. First time that Ive heard of some biamping with one. Seems like a good idea! How do you match the amps?