AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tuners

Tuners FM, HD, Satellite

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-13-2019, 07:44 PM
damacman damacman is offline
Blown & Injected
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 580
Default

Many interesting tidbits here about the MR87. I had also (mistakenly) assumed it was simply an MR88 without XM and Sirius - neither desirable to me anyway.

Of all the Mc tuners I've owned, the MR71 remains my favorite, followed closely by the MR77. Of course I've not owned an MR78 or MR80. The MR75 sitting next to me is actually a pretty decent sounding tuner as well, but it's outclassed by both other tuners I own in sensitivity and selectivity.

Sounds like an MR87 should be on my radar as well.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-13-2019, 08:44 PM
Formerly YB-2's Avatar
Formerly YB-2 Formerly YB-2 is offline
Retired


 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NJ Shore
Posts: 5,473
Default

Believe the MR75, like the MX115, has an ALPS sourced front-end (rather than McIntosh). Like you, I found the SQ of same to be the least involving of the McIntosh tuners I've owned. The MR80 that T. DeWick went thru was the best, but I've always wondered about the MR74, which I've read is the best for SQ.
__________________
Glenn...
Audeze LCD-3 Canton Ref 9K Clearaudio SM Pro Denon DP-80 w/Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cdza Blk & K-b, AT33R & AT150Ti Kenwood L-07M mono-blocks Mark Levinson No. 383 Oppo 203 Parasound JC3 jr PS Audio Ultimate Outlet Sony ST-J75 Stax UA-7/CF SurgeX XR-315 Woo WA6 Gen 1 WW Eclipse 8/7 Pt, Au, Ag, Mini(x2), Starlight & Nano
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-14-2019, 02:14 AM
damacman damacman is offline
Blown & Injected
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Believe the MR75, like the MX115, has an ALPS sourced front-end (rather than McIntosh). Like you, I found the SQ of same to be the least involving of the McIntosh tuners I've owned. The MR80 that T. DeWick went thru was the best, but I've always wondered about the MR74, which I've read is the best for SQ.
I've had a half dozen MR74s over the years. During that time, the MR71 was my main tuner. Looking back I don't think I ever gave an MR74 much listening time ... I was buying, restoring, reselling.

Yes, the MR75 has an Alps front end. However, it's really quite a nice sounding tuner. It's just not particularly good at the tuning aspects ...
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-14-2019, 04:13 AM
Charles Charles is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacman View Post
I've had a half dozen MR74s over the years. During that time, the MR71 was my main tuner. Looking back I don't think I ever gave an MR74 much listening time ... I was buying, restoring, reselling.

Yes, the MR75 has an Alps front end. However, it's really quite a nice sounding tuner. It's just not particularly good at the tuning aspects ...
There's a truly beautiful MR 71 on Ebay for 850 dollars. It looks fully restored. If I were a tuner aficionado (which I am not) I would buy this piece. Also, I don't have an analog input on my preamp (D1100). I have always had a tuner and the D1100 necessitated I buy the MR 87. Now that I have, I'm really glad I did. But this is a beautiful piece for 850 dollars. The 71 is beautiful and I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks. It's taken Mac a long time to return to the classic tuning dial of the MR 71. Mac had such a beautiful tuning dial in their vintage tuners before the 80. Then they abandoned it only to resume it in the 87 about 40 years later. To me a tuning dial makes a tuner.

Dumb question: What is "SQ"?

I am retired and do a lot of late night listening in my man cave which is totally isolated from the sleepers in the house. It's my favorite time to listen and I arise in the morning when I feel like it. Right now I'm enjoying the Saens organ symphony through the 87. It's actually quite good.

Last edited by Charles; 07-14-2019 at 04:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-14-2019, 12:36 PM
Macuser's Avatar
Macuser Macuser is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Connectitax
Posts: 221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
The MR80 that T. DeWick went thru was the best, but I've always wondered about the MR74, which I've read is the best for SQ.
I've had a 74 and 80 in the same rack for over a year now and switch back and forth between the 2 quite often. To my ears the 80 is the better sounding tuner as well as being the more sensitive.
__________________
McintoshC100, D100, MVP831, MC1201's Ivan's Handles, Polk sda 1.2tl's, Def tech pf1800, Furutech flux50, Furman IT Reference i20, Clearaudio emotion+satisfy w stradivari, MIT Shotguns, Shunyata research
Mcintosh C33, MC2255, MR80, Klipsch Khorns
Mcintosh D100, Proton d1200, ADS L1530's
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-14-2019, 12:44 PM
damacman damacman is offline
Blown & Injected
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There's a truly beautiful MR 71 on Ebay for 850 dollars. It looks fully restored. If I were a tuner aficionado (which I am not) I would buy this piece. Also, I don't have an analog input on my preamp (D1100). I have always had a tuner and the D1100 necessitated I buy the MR 87. Now that I have, I'm really glad I did. But this is a beautiful piece for 850 dollars. The 71 is beautiful and I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks. It's taken Mac a long time to return to the classic tuning dial of the MR 71. Mac had such a beautiful tuning dial in their vintage tuners before the 80. Then they abandoned it only to resume it in the 87 about 40 years later. To me a tuning dial makes a tuner.

Dumb question: What is "SQ"?

I am retired and do a lot of late night listening in my man cave which is totally isolated from the sleepers in the house. It's my favorite time to listen and I arise in the morning when I feel like it. Right now I'm enjoying the Saens organ symphony through the 87. It's actually quite good.
Charles - shortly ago, I came across a very nice Sansui TU-9900 which I had serviced and aligned. I've really enjoyed my time with it thus far. I also have an equally nice Kenwood KT-8300 sitting on the sidelines at the moment - also the MR75's peer in tuning, but not in SQ - Sound Quality.

You've definitely piqued my interest in the MR87.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-14-2019, 05:18 PM
W9TR's Avatar
W9TR W9TR is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Neutral Zone
Posts: 3,364
Default

Wow the TU-9900 is a great tuner. Looks awesome too.

The MR 87 has piqued my interest as well. Vintage tuners can get expensive to maintain - at least that’s been my experience. So the MR 87 is a potential winner in my book.

We have two homes - one in Colorado where we are totally surrounded by mountains and all the FM is local. The MR 77 lives there and does yeoman work to this day. Sounds great too.

Our Wisconsin home is 80 miles from the Twin Cities and the DX capability of the MR-80 with rooftop yagi really shines here. Plus MPR and WPR stations have excellent fidelity.

The MR 87 could be a tuner for the ages. I don’t really want another analog tuner since DSP has come so far in solving HD radio and adjacent channel issues.
__________________
Main System:
Amati Futura Mains
Amati Homage VOX Center,
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase