AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 04-17-2019, 06:53 AM

I’ve always loved PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP partnered with the 800D3 series. Recently replaced by the Evo 300/400 series.

I’m also not a big fan of the BlueSound range. I’ve heard the Elac Discovery which sounds considerably better. It is pricier than the BlueSound but worth the price difference. Or a LUMIN D3 with the Wolfson DAC.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torxx View Post
I am currently having some listening fatigue issue with the 805d3 and am concerned to say the least. I Recently upgraded amp and preamp which the speakers badly needed which also introduced the fatigue. I would think equipment is broken in at this point. Hard to estimate time, but less than 200 hours. Preamp less than amp.

I plan to try the paper test asap. I sure hope it’s room issues. I thought I had things under control with room treatments, but, nothing is on the 8’ ceiling. Fingers crossed. Currently streaming with node2i and will most likely be upgrading to Innuos mk3 streamer soon, hopefully that might help?
Not to dis your 452, an awesome amp, to be sure. But maybe your amp upgrade was not really an upgrade with respect to your speakers? The 805s are super revealing, which for some might translate into analytical or harsh with the "wrong" amplifier. I love my 805s as paired with an MC275, a less precise, though warmer amp than yours.

Good luck--keep us posted!

Last edited by PeterMusic; 04-17-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:43 PM

My 805D3/DB1D are in my great room - 25’W x 20’D x 18’H - with hardwood floors. My source is a MCD450 and MA8900 amp. No brilliance here at all, no room treatments, only a large round rug and floor to ceiling curtains on the right, open to kitchen on the left. The 805D3 replaced a pair of N804. An upgrade from a floor stander to a monitor - not a common statement. The sub politely fills in the lower notes but not as seamlessly as I would expect being from the same manufacturer.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:02 AM

I swapped out the bluesound node 2i for a Mcintosh MB50 and things are much much better. I do have some room treatments already in place and had ordered some ceiling diffusers that are on back order. I may be canceling that order.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torxx View Post
I swapped out the bluesound node 2i for a Mcintosh MB50 and things are much much better. I do have some room treatments already in place and had ordered some ceiling diffusers that are on back order. I may be canceling that order.
Great to hear. One other thing I forgot to mention on my last post but is related to your source upgrade. During my early days with the Naim Uniti Core, I tried a number of interconnects. Surprisingly, the most expensive interconnect I tried (from Goldmund) was incredibly fatiguing. If you have a dealer with a number of cables available for loan, I suggest you bring 2-3 home and give each a try with the MB50.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
The review is already in the public domain... http://www.stereophile.com/content/b...YzGAeprfWQZ.97
Technically, it has been made public but is not in the public domain since the magazine retains copyright.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
I love my 805s as paired with an MC275, a less precise, though warmer amp than yours.

Good luck--keep us posted!
Hi, Does the 275 move well? I have a 275 and im seeing this book 805D3.
88db ?
Old 05-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mati1979 View Post
Hi, Does the 275 move well? I have a 275 and im seeing this book 805D3.
88db ?
I have not measured, but the 275 has plenty of power for 805D3. One important note, I am also using an DB3D subwoofer--this adds 1000 watts for the low end and takes a load off of the 275. I think a subwoofer is critical for all but the largest floor standers.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
During my early days with the Naim Uniti Core, I tried a number of interconnects. Surprisingly, the most expensive interconnect I tried (from Goldmund) was incredibly fatiguing. If you have a dealer with a number of cables available for loan, I suggest you bring 2-3 home and give each a try with the MB50.
One step ahead of you on the IC. The IC I am currently using is an old Tributaries cable I have had for years, decent, but probably not great. Got a balanced Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 on the way and I'll hope for the best and go from there. I also have a Wireworld eclipse 7 RCA that I am using between amp and pre. I tried reversing the two ICs and did not like that change.

Last edited by torxx; 05-05-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:59 PM

I have my B&W 805D3's connected to a Rotel RSP-1576 MKII pre/pro and a Rotel RMB-1585 amp. I used to have an Arcam connected to it. This really opened them up. My question is now with speaker cable. I bought a pair of Rocket 33's because I got them ridiculously cheap of someone. Is this a fair pairing?