AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 04-01-2013, 03:31 PM

I was talking about the XLR to your Esoteric... Indeed the Zeel cable is the best option between the amp and pre.

As for the batteries, while I do understand your reservations, no one I know with a 18NS have had any leakage problems. Now, the batteries do need replacing every few years, but they're NOT custom. Matter of fact, you can even replace them yourself, as they're mounted in the front of the unit, very neatly.

Regarding any possible limitation of the 18NS, due to the battery source, I just had the 720 pre here, and it was no less and no more dynamic than my 18NS...

alexandre
Old 04-01-2013, 03:43 PM

The 18NS has gotten great reviews. I would love to try one I just get tired of buying stuff (even used) and having to resell when it doesn't meet expectations.

Maybe one of these days. The NH108B is here to stay. We will see. The K-01 is the best digital source I have heard. I probably will have it for a few years. The 18ns has balanced inputs I believe.

Last edited by Car commander; 04-01-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 PM

Default Soulution 520 and 720

When I was looking for a new preamp last year these two were on my list of candidates. I arranged an audition for both preamps at the importer in Taipei because their listening room is larger than the store I first audition the 720 and the room more approximated the size of my listening room. When I arrived the system consisted of dCS Scarlatti stacks feeding 520 and 501 monoblocks driving a pair of Hansen Emperor Es. We swapped to 720 afterward and basically listened to the same tracks again.

Let's get the similarities out of the way. To my ears they are both clean, fast and incredibly detailed. My biggest concern before the audition was whether the preamps were too bright and thin sounding but turned out neither.

Beyond the similarities these two preamps presented music differently. The 520 was actually more coherent and smoother. And a little more laid back. The 720 offered more texture, authority, control, and precision. I guess the simplest way to describe the fundamental difference between the two is that the 520 makes you less focused on the equipment because it's so coherent, while the 720 demands more of your attention because music is more exciting and spectacular.

After the audition I borrowed the store demo 721 home for a week and ended up buying one.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 PM

Yes I assumed it was the synergy. I will have to try the 720 and 700 amp one of these days.

It's the nature of this hobby to look for an upgrade.

What amps and interconnects are you using?

Last edited by Car commander; 04-05-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car commander View Post
The 18NS has gotten great reviews. I would love to try one I just get tired of buying stuff (even used) and having to resell when it doesn't meet expectations.

Maybe one of these days. The NH108B is here to stay. We will see. The K-01 is the best digital source I have heard. I probably will have it for a few years. The 18ns has balanced inputs I believe.
The Dart pre has one set of balanced in/out.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 PM

Thanks Joe.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:49 PM

Actually at the demo 501s were used, not 700. Eventually I may have to try 710 or 700 amps in my own system, but somehow all my previous auditions of Soulution pre/amp combo were a bit thin and bright, but just the 721 in my system is neither bright or thin.
My amp? I am old school in that regard. It's an FM 611X. The amp has given me years of enjoyment. Interconnects right now are Crystal Dreamlines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car commander View Post
Yes I assumed it was the synergy. I will have to try the 720 and 700 amp one of these days.

It's the nature of this hobby to look for an upgrade.

What amps and interconnects are you using?

Last edited by zbub; 04-06-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:33 PM

I received my new Soulution 520 preamp on Friday, so I am currently running the Esoteric K-01, Soulution 520 preamp, Soulution 501 mono amps and Revel Salon 2. While the preamp is just starting its break-in process, I am already here some substantial differences compared to running directly from the K-01 to the 501 amps. There is an increased smoothness and natural warmth to the sound. Jazz vocals sound much more liquid. There is also more weight and density to instrumentals. So far I'm not hearing any material increase in brightness in the treble, which has plagued me in the past when I added different preamps to my system. The sonic signature of this preamp is one of speed, neutrality and transparency with just a hint of sweetness in the treble. Overall I'm really pleased with the sound. I'll report back when I'm further into the break-in process.

Ken
Old 02-15-2015, 07:17 PM

Ken,

Very interested to hear your comparison between going direct though the K01 versus through the 520 as the 520 breaks in.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
I received my new Soulution 520 preamp on Friday, so I am currently running the Esoteric K-01, Soulution 520 preamp, Soulution 501 mono amps and Revel Salon 2. While the preamp is just starting its break-in process, I am already here some substantial differences compared to running directly from the K-01 to the 501 amps. There is an increased smoothness and natural warmth to the sound. Jazz vocals sound much more liquid. There is also more weight and density to instrumentals. So far I'm not hearing any material increase in brightness in the treble, which has plagued me in the past when I added different preamps to my system. The sonic signature of this preamp is one of speed, neutrality and transparency with just a hint of sweetness in the treble. Overall I'm really pleased with the sound. I'll report back when I'm further into the break-in process.

Ken
I'm think I'm going to make the jump from the 530 to the 520/501 separates. The difference is that good. Thought I was happy with the 530 Integrated until I heard the 501's pre out thru the 520 inside of the 530. Wow. The 530 is a great gateway into the Soulution sound.