AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 04-04-2011, 07:34 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado
Default Oppo BDP-93 Universal Network 3D Blu-Ray Disc Player Review

Conclusion:

As I mentioned at the beginning of this review, Oppo in a few short years has become a major force in affordable, high quality source components. Their first few DVD players blew minds with their feature sets, build quality, and pricing. The engineers at Oppo have obviously found a winning combination. So much so, that several other high end companies have licensed technology from Oppo, including Ayre Acoustics ( for their ultra high end and very expensive DX-5 Blu-Ray universal player), and Lexicon.

From every standpoint, the BPD-93 is easy to recommend. The build quality is crazy good. Video quality across all formats is superb. While not state of the art in audio playback, it only suffers in comparison to disc players costing four or five times as much. But in my opinion, the ability to playback any type of disc, including audiophile formats like SACD and DVD-A and high resolution music via USB input at this price point is beyond comprehension. Several years ago you would have needed 4 or 5 boxes to accomplish all this.

Are there cheaper Blu-Ray players? Sure, but they will under perform the BDP-93 and their cheapo plastic enclosures and inferior parts will give in to the self fulling prophecy of planned obsolesence, and the inevitable destination, your local landfill. Not to mention Oppo continually updates its firmware as consumers demand new features and their engineers refine what is already a no stress user interface.

Take into consideration, this is the first Blu-Ray player I have had in my system, although I have experienced networked Blu-Ray players in other settings. After spending some quality time with the BDP-93 I can only imagine it being bettered by one other sub $1000 player, and that would be the brand new flagship Oppo, the BDP-95, priced at $999, which is loaded with additional features like a 32 bit DAC, XLR connections, and other goodies. For me the BDP-93 is a winner, and it will be part of my reference system for a while, and it will be able to hang with gear costing significantly more. The Oppo BDP-93 is yet another example of the current trend of high performance audio & video gear offering tremendous value, and then some.

Oppo BDP-93 Universal Network 3D Blu-Ray Disc Player Review*-*AVRev.com
Old 05-21-2011, 07:29 PM

I've been contemplating on the BDP-95. The main difference between the 93 and 95 is the better DAC in the 95. And most people wouldn't even need this as they send the signal via HDMI to a processor.

My current processor doesn't have HDMI, but it has the 7.1 direct input. Instead of upgrading to Blu-Ray (BDP-93) and buying a new processor, I'm thinking about just getting the BDP-95. This way I'll have the better DAC and pass the sound through to my processor in analog mode.

But $1,000 is still a lot of money for the BDP-95. I'm currently looking at Denon players as well. A good friend is an authorized dealer for Denon, so with a big discount on Denon, the two players are more competitively matched in price.

Still contemplating which way to go. I will agree with you that Oppo is a great deal out there (from what I've read, not from experience).
Old 01-05-2012, 01:42 PM

I know this is an old post but I need my 10.

I got the 93 back last summer as my first BD Player. I was not a big streamer or MP3 fan but since have been loving all the capabilities this player has. Used as a CDP, it does not quite stand up to my Rotel 1072 but plays more formats. Overall stereo sound is pretty good for a universal player.

The 95 not only has the better DAC but also dedicated 2ch out which they took out of the 93.