AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 05-13-2016, 12:56 AM

Default from McIntosh to ARC

Hi everyone.

Just curious if anyone moved from Mac to ARC especially regarding preamps?

Having heard the new ARC Ref 6 preamp compared to the C2500, I have to say, I am blown away.

Any members experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:40 AM

C220/MC501s to ARC. Very happy.

I did look at the C1100/MC601 combination, but still preferred the ARC.

What speakers?
Wilson Audio Alexia + Mezzo | Dan D'Agostino Momentum PRE & S250 | Esoteric P02x & D02x | Torus AVR2-16 | Marantz AV8805 | Panasonic UB9000 | Bryston 7B3 & 9BSST2 | ScreenTechnics 125" 2.37 Screen | JVC X7900 | Krix A20 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2)
Old 05-13-2016, 05:21 AM

C2500 to Ref5SE here.

I was very happy I made the move, the C2500 is a good preamp that looks stellar, but the Arc reference products are for me in another League in every way.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:34 AM

Mac makes some excellent products - including preamps. But I think the ARC preamps are better. For example, I don't think anything Mac makes competes with a Ref5SE, Ref 6 or the Ref Phono preamps.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:08 AM

I went from c2300 to ARC Ref5se and MC501's to ARC Ref250's and have never looked back. I prefer the ARC sound over McIntosh sound. YMMV

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum Phono Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 3
Dan D'Agostino Momentum S250
dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC
dCS Vivaldi Upsampler
dCS Vivaldi Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2, Yvette & Mezzo
REL No.32 x 2
REL Carbon Special x 2
AVID Acutus Ref SP, Roon Nucleus+
McIntosh MX151, MVP881
HRS SXR Signature Audio Stand
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!

New York

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 2
dCS Rossini Dac
dCS Rossini Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2
REL No.25 x 2
Roon Nucleus+
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!
Old 05-13-2016, 10:23 AM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscotth View Post
I went from c2300 to ARC Ref5se and MC501's to ARC Ref250's and have never looked back. I prefer the ARC sound over McIntosh sound. YMMV
Hey Scott - What were some of the main differences and pros/cons that you heard making the switch? I've often thought that that's probably one of the roads I would be exploring if I decided to move on from the McIntosh gear that I enjoy now. I've often thought about exploring a Reference 5SE (or 6 now) along with the Reference 150 or possibly even the 250 monoblocks if my loudspeakers called for it. I would think that unless you wanted to explore the stratosphere with brands such as Soulution, Dartzeel, MBL, Boulder, etc... that would get you about 97% of the way there. Law of diminishing returns would really begin to kick in at those prices.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 05-13-2016, 10:34 AM

Interesting thread. I have been contemplating something similar. I currently have the McIntosh 60th Anniversary set, C-22 preamp and MC75 amps. I have pulled and sold my McIntosh CD player and am simply playing vinyl.

I am contemplating adding an AR phono section to augment my vinyl experience. So initially at least, I would be using the McIntosh preamp and amps but with an AR phono running through the auxiliary section of the C-22. Anyone done anything like that?
Old 05-13-2016, 10:41 AM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBritt View Post
Interesting thread. I have been contemplating something similar. I currently have the McIntosh 60th Anniversary set, C-22 preamp and MC75 amps. I have pulled and sold my McIntosh CD player and am simply playing vinyl.

I am contemplating adding an AR phono section to augment my vinyl experience. So initially at least, I would be using the McIntosh preamp and amps but with an AR phono running through the auxiliary section of the C-22. Anyone done anything like that?
Mister Britt - I'm currently doing the exact thing.....I had a Manley Chinook phono preamp that I was using with my C2300. Sounded nice......I jumped on the opportunity to grab a ARC Reference 2 Phono SE when the price dropped due to it being discontinued. It's a fantastic piece......hard to believe they can improve on the Ref 2, but it was a significant step up from the Manley piece which has received rave reviews. As far as compatibility, there's no problems at all with my Mc preamp and the Ref 2.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 05-13-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Mister Britt - I'm currently doing the exact thing.....I had a Manley Chinook phono preamp that I was using with my C2300. Sounded nice......I jumped on the opportunity to grab a ARC Reference 2 Phono SE when the price dropped due to it being discontinued. It's a fantastic piece......hard to believe they can improve on the Ref 2, but it was a significant step up from the Manley piece which has received rave reviews. As far as compatibility, there's no problems at all with my Mc preamp and the Ref 2.

- Buck
Excellent. Yes, that is exactly what I was wondering about. I too have looked at the Manley phono section but have been leaning more toward the AR. Thanks.

MORE: I am interested to discover that the Manley was bested by the AR Ref 2, itself bested handily by the AR Ref 2 SE. But the main thing is that I want to get the best bang for the buck in the phono section.

Last edited by MisterBritt; 05-13-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:58 AM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBritt View Post
Excellent. Yes, that is exactly what I was wondering about. I too have looked at the Manley phono section but have been leaning more toward the AR. Thanks.
One thing to keep in mind is the gain of your cartridge of course......the ARC Ref 2's high gain setting is significantly higher/louder than the Manley.....I always thought the Manleys high gain was a little light for my Dynavector. The ARC's high gain setting is just right for my XX2 mk II. Of course if you have a higher gain cartridge you may be able to get away with the lower gain settings, but the low gain is pretty low for many MC cartridges.
- Buck