AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 01-21-2013, 10:38 AM

[ame=http://youtu.be/2JB_KQqf61E]Magico S5, VAC amplifiers, MIT cables, Kronus Turntable - YouTube[/ame]
Old 01-21-2013, 11:22 AM

Thanks for posting. Loved the MIT cables!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 AM
Bodhisattva

I'd like to ask those who have experience with the S5's how coherent and refined you find these speakers in comparision to other speaker systems in a similar price range which are known for those qualities (eg: Avalon Eidolon Diamond, Marten Bird 2, Vandersteen Model 7 & Verity Amadis etc)?

Also the general consensus is that the Q3's driver integration is a bit better and that the Q3's are more coherent and refined overall. What has been your experience?

Cheers,

Last edited by Bodhisattva; 01-22-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:08 AM

I spent two days comparing the Q3, Q1 and S5 in a medium sized room (app 5m x 8m) with Simaudio's top of the line. I also listened, briefly, to the Amadis, but that speaker really didn't compare to the Magicos.

I prefer neutral and accurate speakers (former Dynaudio owner), and I'm also a value guy. And I don't worry much about resale value. For me, the Q1 is the best speaker I've heard for the money. The Q3 is close, a smidgen more bass but loses the magic of the two-way, and for me wasn't worth the price bump. The S5 is very close, but not as refined or resolving or coherent as the Q series.

For most people looking for SOTA neutrality, I think the S5 would be the best choice, especially if resale is important. And if you'll never hear them side by side, the S5 will be plenty neutral, especially compared to the other speakers you list. The Q speakers are better, but they are also more demanding so you'll need comparable gear to support them.

If you don't find the Magico presentation to your liking, I would highly recommend the Rockport Avior. That came in a very close fourth, just behind the S5.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
I'd like to ask those who have experience with the S5's how coherent and refined you find these speakers in comparision to other speaker systems in a similar price range which are known for those qualities (eg: Avalon Eidolon Diamond, Marten Bird 2, Vandersteen Model 7 & Verity Amadis etc)?

Also the general consensus is that the Q3's driver integration is a bit better and that the Q3's are more coherent and refined overall. What has been your experience?

Cheers,
After few listening sessions I can say that I am extremly impressed with S5. They are IMO the best speakers in up to $40K market. I find them even better most of the speakers on your list above. Only other brand that I highly respect(but, I can not fell in love with it) is Wilson Audio.
Regarding Q3 that i also had a chance to audition at lenght for my ears S5 is better speaker overall. Yes, Q3 can sound little bit more focused, but... Q3 has 10hz less bass extension then S5 and you can hear/feel it immediately. S5 offers even more impressive bass extension then Q5(according not only to measurements in mags, but also to my listening impression).
It all goes down to what kind of music do you listen most of the times. As classical, jazz, pop and rock multitasking S5 is a clear winner over Q3 and Q5.
You can listen Bach, Coltrane and Soundgarden with same excellent results on S5.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:25 PM

KKF1,

I also found the S5 without peer in its price range, and even quite above it.
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the models listed for comparison, but compared to some of the "old school" greats, like Sonus faber, Dynaudio, B&W, and even Wilson Audio, there's no doubt in my mind that the S5 is way above them all.

Now, regarding the bass extension of the S5 (versus the Q3), I wouldn't say one has "more extension" than the other. I think the S5 has a deliberate "boost" in the bass, to please those that found the Q3's bass a little "dry". In my opinion, the Q3 has *fantastic* bass extension, going all the way down to the 20s, but due to the lack of cabinet ressonance and a port, the bass has no overhang, it doesn't linger longer than it should, like most speakers do.

To me, there's no question that, if you can make it ($$$), the Q3 is an overall better speaker. But, as a starting point in the Magico range, the S5 is fantastic, and already way above anything other brands currently have.

alexandre
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
KKF1,

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the models listed for comparison, but compared to some of the "old school" greats, like Sonus faber, Dynaudio, B&W, and even Wilson Audio, there's no doubt in my mind that the S5 is way above them all.

Now, regarding the bass extension of the S5 (versus the Q3), I wouldn't say one has "more extension" than the other. I think the S5 has a deliberate "boost" in the bass, to please those that found the Q3's bass a little "dry". In my opinion, the Q3 has *fantastic* bass extension, going all the way down to the 20s, but due to the lack of cabinet ressonance and a port, the bass has no overhang, it doesn't linger longer than it should, like most speakers do.

To me, there's no question that, if you can make it ($$$), the Q3 is an overall better speaker. But, as a starting point in the Magico range, the S5 is fantastic, and already way above anything other brands currently have.

alexandre
OK. We disagree regarding bass extension of Q3. Hifi News measured both speakers and S5 offers 10hz lower bass extension(-6db point). German Stereoplay measured S5 in anechoic chamber and frequency response do not show any bass "boost" a la some other manufactures...
Listen for example some contrabass music on both S5 and Q3, you will hear big difference in lower externsion. Q3 simply can not move that much air...
Old 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Skier View Post
I spent two days comparing the Q3, Q1 and S5 in a medium sized room (app 5m x 8m) with Simaudio's top of the line. I also listened, briefly, to the Amadis, but that speaker really didn't compare to the Magicos.

I prefer neutral and accurate speakers (former Dynaudio owner), and I'm also a value guy. And I don't worry much about resale value. For me, the Q1 is the best speaker I've heard for the money. The Q3 is close, a smidgen more bass but loses the magic of the two-way, and for me wasn't worth the price bump. The S5 is very close, but not as refined or resolving or coherent as the Q series.

For most people looking for SOTA neutrality, I think the S5 would be the best choice, especially if resale is important. And if you'll never hear them side by side, the S5 will be plenty neutral, especially compared to the other speakers you list. The Q speakers are better, but they are also more demanding so you'll need comparable gear to support them.

If you don't find the Magico presentation to your liking, I would highly recommend the Rockport Avior. That came in a very close fourth, just behind the S5.
Very interesting.

Do you have Q1s?

If so, what's the rest of your system
Old 01-22-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
KKF1,

alexandre
I agree with you.
I would add also that it depends a lot on the music you listen to. As somebody mainly listening to acoustic Jazz, the Q3 will give me more than the S5. If I would listen mainly to rock and modern music, I would prefer the S5, I find them working better on electric /electronic music - the Q3 may be even too resolving.
Agree also that both are better than all other speakers mentioned
Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 AM

I auditioned the Q3 and the S5. Apart from price consideration, I sensed the S5 has a slightly more relaxed presentation. The Q3 may have a small edge in resolution. They both threw an open and layered soundstage. I would be happy with either but I finally settled on the S5.