AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 01-08-2012, 03:48 AM
Learning to Listen

Hey Stockinv, welcome!

Old 01-10-2012, 04:28 AM

I wonder why there don't seem to be any simple and reasonably affordable pre-pros. I mean, the cheapest new model I've found is the Marantz AV7005. It has a million different inputs and connections. All I'd need is a 5.1 or 5.2 pre-pro normal unbalanced RCA connectors and with maybe 3-4 HDMI 1.4 inputs, one or two HDMI outputs, and support for the usual stuff like HD audio formats. Toss in maybe two analog audio inputs, perhaps one TOSLINK and one S/PDIF and Audyssey for good measure, and that'd be pretty much it. But as far as I can tell nothing like this exists. Instead there's "overfeatured" monstrosities that gulp electricity like mad, take up space, and are expensive
Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 AM

I agree completly. Many new HT processors are overloaded with all kinds of stuff that I would not even use but have to pay for. We need a company to develop a HT processor that has all the essentials and focuses on audio/video quality only.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:59 AM

Well, FWIW, I think you may see some this year. As I noted previously, both Emotiva and Outlaw Audio are expected to release new products. In the case of Emotiva, it will be their premium version of the UMC-1 and I believe it will be called the XMC-1. For Outlaw, it will be their entry product as the 978. The Outlaw premium will be the 998, but I am not aware of any indication that would leave me to believe it will be here any time soon. Outlaw's sanction forum thread is here.

Of course, their both still in development, so there is no immediate solution... And I'd be shocked if either Emotiva or outlaw delivered before Q2 2012.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Go Go White Sox!!

I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the Integra Pre-Pros. IMO, they have set the standard in this category from a price/performance standpoint. I have had the DTC-9.8 for several years now, and it is still going strong. The newer models, the DTC-80.1 and 80.2, have gotten rave reviews as well. The one feature that the new Integras have that no other Pre-Pro has is the top-of-the-line Audyssey room correction processing that includes the processing of a system with two subs. All other built-in room correction programs can only process one sub within a system. Here is more information:

SSP & Pre/Pros that support HDMI Audio MPCM - AVS Forum
Old 01-10-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the Integra Pre-Pros. IMO, they have set the standard in this category from a price/performance standpoint. I have had the DTC-9.8 for several years now, and it is still going strong. The newer models, the DTC-80.1 and 80.2, have gotten rave reviews as well. The one feature that the new Integras have that no other Pre-Pro has is the top-of-the-line Audyssey room correction processing that includes the processing of a system with two subs. All other built-in room correction programs can only process one sub within a system. Here is more information:

SSP & Pre/Pros that support HDMI Audio MPCM - AVS Forum
ASINDC,

Those are terrific pre-pros, but aren't they in the $2K+ range.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:45 AM

I have a D2v. It's a fantastic processor, has high quality DACs, its ARC room correction is amazing and its video processing is 2nd to none. For blu ray and multi-channel music, I'd put the Anthem up against any other prepro out there, including the Macs and Classe. It's certainly not 'midfi' IMHO.

All that being said, it can't compete with my 2 channel rig. When I tried to combine it with my 2 channel setup, I never was satisfied with the sound, even with the added benefits of ARC. I just don't think any HT prepro can really compete with a high end preamp. Maybe part of the reason is that it simply isn't designed to. They both are engineered for different purposes, and now that I've finally accepted the idea of separating the two, I find myself enjoying both infinitely more than I did in the past. YMMV, of course..

Last edited by Prestige Worldwide; 01-10-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Go Go White Sox!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
ASINDC,

Those are terrific pre-pros, but aren't they in the $2K+ range.
How much are you looking to spend? If it is less than $2K, then the Marantz might be your best bet in terms of features and sound quality. I don't know much about the Outlaw, and the reports on the previous Emotivas (don't know about the latest) have been spotty. Integra does have the DTC 40.2 at an MSRP of $1,200, but it does not have as many features as the Marantz.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 PM

ASINDC, FWIW, I was responding to the prior poster's note about looking for a cheap product. As for me, I don't know. I just bought a new pre-amp for audio. So I'm sticking with my Pre-Pro by Emotiva. We'll see down the road. I may ultimately ditch the pre-pro and just feed my plasma directly. Who knows.

Incidentally, NAD's 757 just got reviewed here.

Last edited by FranklinLG; 01-10-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:58 AM

It could well be that I'll plunge for something like the NAD T 757 eventually, unless a pre/pro like the one I described hits the market - but as said it's unlikely that'll ever happen.

The NAD would probably be at least a match for my Puccini, and costs the same as the Marantz pre-amp alone would - while actually having less power consumption than the Marantz that doesn't even drive speakers.

Not sure how the T 748 would compare to the T 757 sound quality-wise, being substantially cheaper. I suppose with that it'd be possible to plug in the Puccini for the fronts, but there are even cheaper AVRs that have preouts, and I just can't help feeling silly having a powered AVR yet using a separate amp, especially as not using the amp section of the AVR doesn't even lower power consumption. And yes, I'm indeed a freak who cares about power consumption

Last edited by tvih; 01-11-2012 at 04:08 AM.