AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Integrated

Integrated All in one, Still in Style

Old 10-18-2011, 05:02 PM

Lakesailor...this is another option for you plus a good price since it's a discontinued model: Musical Fidelity A5.5 Integrated Amplifier - Upscale Audio

The Musical Fidelity A5.5 puts out 250wpc into 8ohms and 400wpc into 4 ohms. Should be plenty powerful to drive your panels. I used to own the MF A5 (my first high-end amplifier) and they are very competent amps. I have not heard the new M6i which I listed in my original list but the A5 was a very competent amp. Good luck
Old 10-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Music Provides Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesailor
One of my upcoming projects as I prepare for a move is to consolidate from seperates hopefully to an integrated amplifier. The challenge is that I am running some rather inefficient panels that run around 80 db and generally thrive on power.

Thus I am looking for suggestions for an integrated amplifier with sufficient power to run my rather inefficient panels. I would like to keep the budget around $ 3k for this project as it will be in a secondary system.

Many thanks for any suggestions in advance.
80 is really low. I think the Wyred4Sound is your best bet. Also, just because the amplifier is class D does not mean it has a switching power supply!

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfr01 View Post
80 is really low. I think the Wyred4Sound is your best bet. Also, just because the amplifier is class D does not mean it has a switching power supply!
I agree with Karl. In your price range, Class D is going to be the most likely way to get an integrated amp that can optimally drive your speakers and Wyred-4-Sound is goingto fit the bill. By the way, what power amp are you currently using to drive your ET8bs?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Lakesailor...this is another option for you plus a good price since it's a discontinued model: Musical Fidelity A5.5 Integrated Amplifier - Upscale Audio

The Musical Fidelity A5.5 puts out 250wpc into 8ohms and 400wpc into 4 ohms. Should be plenty powerful to drive your panels. I used to own the MF A5 (my first high-end amplifier) and they are very competent amps. I have not heard the new M6i which I listed in my original list but the A5 was a very competent amp. Good luck
Musical Fidelity is definitely one option that would work. Either the Nu/Tri –Vista or KW series would fit the bill and do come up for sale from time to time….MF is one direction for certain and onboard phono is also a feature I would use…..
Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
I agree with Karl. In your price range, Class D is going to be the most likely way to get an integrated amp that can optimally drive your speakers and Wyred-4-Sound is goingto fit the bill. By the way, what power amp are you currently using to drive your ET8bs?
I am currently using a Proceed HPA2 that after Madrigal killed became the Mark Levinson 431/432 series. It is a 100 lb amp that puts out roughly 250/channel. It is a great amp but a huge monster, hence why an integrated is very appealing.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:12 PM

See the Harman Kardon HK990. Review in December Stereophile.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
See the Harman Kardon HK990. Review in December Stereophile.
Thx ! – It would have never even occurred to me that H/K would make a product like that. XLR input’s, MC/MM phono inputs – even has dual toroidal transformers. Who knew! I will have to read up on it…..
Old 10-20-2011, 01:22 AM
dpod4

I have a one year old Simaudio i5.3SE integrated I am willing to sell. Less than 200 hours play. DP
Old 10-28-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
I have a one year old Simaudio i5.3SE integrated I am willing to sell. Less than 200 hours play. DP
Thanks for the kind suggestion – I am a fan of Simaudio. I am starting to re-think my plan and am now leaning towards going away from my current inefficient panels and moving towards new speakers that are easier to drive with a smaller amp instead.

I can do some system shuffling and make something work. I have listened to some fairly impressive speakers as of late and think maybe it is time for something different.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:18 AM

What's wrong with a large amp and efficient speakers? That's the best way to get killer dynamics.

HT: Marantz AV7005, W4S Mini MC-5, Custom Waveguide Towers, SVSPB12-Plus/2