AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-17-2024, 06:27 PM

Default Amplifiers for B&W 801 D4s

I am toying with the idea of changing up the amplifiers between my c1100 and my 801s. A few questions, in terms of power and spec match:

- Are the MC611s the optimal sweetspot match for these speakers?

- Would the new 3500s be ‘enough’ power and headroom for these speakers?

- Would 1.2KWs be ‘too much’ power for these speakers?

- Are there any risks of clipping or blowing out speakers with ANY of the above?

Thanks!

Last edited by ufguy73; 01-17-2024 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 07:11 PM

Early on I had N804 with a MC252. Never clipped or under drove them. 611 will be a fine pairing.

Sorry, I initially thought I saw 804D4. Ignore my comment

Last edited by miner; 01-18-2024 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Added reasoning for mistake
Old 01-17-2024, 08:01 PM

801D4s love power. Both the MC611s & 1.2KWs should have no problems powering the 801s though I've often seen more 801s paired with MC1.2/1.25KWs.

Have not heard the MC3500, hopefully AA owners will chime in with feedback.
Main System: Sf Amati Tradition, B&W DB1 sub, McIntosh C2300, MC501s, MA12000, MCD500, HiFi Rose RS150B, Oppo 105, Niagara 5000, AQ Tornado/Thunder/Blizzard PCs, Robin Hood BiWire (zero+bass), Gibraltar SCs, Water ICs, Cinnamon RJ/E, Solidsteel HF-3 racks.
2nd System: Sf Cremona Auditor M, McIntosh C50, MC275(VI), MA6600, Node 2i, Oppo 95, AQ NRG-4 PCs, Robin Hood Zero SC, Cobra/Nordost Heimdall ICs.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufguy73 View Post
I am toying with the idea of changing up the amplifiers between my c1100 and my 801s. A few questions, in terms of power and spec match:

- Are the MC611s the optimal sweetspot match for these speakers?

- Would the new 3500s be ‘enough’ power and headroom for these speakers?

- Would 1.2KWs be ‘too much’ power for these speakers?

- Are there any risks of clipping or blowing out speakers with ANY of the above?

Thanks!
I can help with this. The 1.25KW's would definitely be the McIntosh solid state amplifier of choice. Unless you are willing to upgrade to a 1.25KW I would definitely not do it. Your speakers represent the ultimate in the B&W lineup at 38K/pair. I doubt there is much difference from it and the Signature other than pride of ownership much like the Anniversary Editions of the C-12000/MCD12000 and 2.1KW's. You have a super speaker. B&W takes a back seat to no one. One of the real problems that I see with folks pairing Mac amps to speakers like a Sasha DAW or your speaker is using something like a 611 or 452. While this will work, the new owner begins to experiment around with impedance and finds that the higher impedance sounds better than the 4 ohm nominal impedance, because they do not have a large enough amp and this leads to dissatisfaction. In your case however this is irrelevant because your speakers are rated at 8 ohms nominal, so while they love power, they are easy to drive. But you need the larger Mac amp, the 1.25KW, definitely. The rule is 10% for solid state amps (the D'AGostino rule) so with a 1.25KW you have 125 superb watts and a headroom of 1000 watts for peaks. So the 1.25KW is your amplifier of choice, if you really want to upgrade.

Now as to the 3500's. They are better amps than the 1.25KW's but they are also less reliable. They drive my XVX easily off the 4 ohm taps so for your 801's, they will do a superb job off the 8 ohm tap. In fact I would say that they would be absolutely perfect for your speakers. The 10% rule does not apply to them and you will have 400-500 watts available to you. With a sensitivity of 90 for the D4's this is more than enough power. IMO, they are the best and most powerful tube amps on the market. I would not trade them even for any other tube amp on the market and I am aware of all the tube amps. The bass they produce is incredible. There's nothing romantic about these amps. But their midrange and treble are very liquid detailed and extended. Coupled with the bass they produce, I've never heard anything like them, and the XVX requires massive current although its sensitivity is over 92 dB. Typically listening to jazz or just popular music they require no more than 3.5-35 watts but for live concerts or roller skating music, the sky is the limit with the XVX. I can't think of a better match for your D4's than a 3500. My preference for the 3500 over the 1.25KW is not a knock against the 1.25KW. There's no solid state amp on the market that I would swap for a 3500. The 1.25KW is a superb solid state power amplifier.

BTW, I'm going to be trading in my 1.25KW's. I have two that have just been setting there silent flanking my 3500's for over a year. Let me know if you are interested. They are in mint condition, untouched and unmoved by human hands, except the knobs, of course.

Best

Charles
New gear on order: MC2.1KW Anniversary power amplifier; C12000 An preamplifier; MCD12000 An SACD/CD player; AQ 1 meter Dragon balanced IC; 2 meter AQ Hurricane HC power cord; 3 meter AQ Hurricane Source power cord; unspecified 3 meter AQ digital coaxial IC and power cord for my backup MVP851 DVD player given as a surprise gift to me by my dealer
Most recent updates: Latest is the last one posted: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals; heating and cooling completely reworked and reinsulated resulting in a much quieter, cooler, and more efficient room (cost about 10,000.00). McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD transport; Wilson Audio Acoustic Diode for XVX Chronosonic; WEL Signature digital Coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection replacing the optical connection; New plinth for Thor subwoofer made of X material with the Wilson Acoustic Diodes; Thor is now off my floor; MC3500MKII mono block amps (2) and two custom granite slabs; Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover; new 75-ohm multi-directional FM antenna for tuner; total of eight additional Wilson Audio Heavy (red) pedestals placed under the MC3500MKII mono blocks; JRiver Media Center 31
Amps: McIntosh MC3500MKII mono blocks (2), McIntosh MC1.25KW’s (3). All amps set on floor on custom made granite slabs
Preamp and DAC: McIntosh D1100
Sources: McIntosh MCT500 SACD/CD Transport, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 31)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; custom made Wilson Acoustic Diodes
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie; custom plinth of X material with Wilson Acoustic Diode feet; Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover
Cables main system: Audioquest WEL Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); WEL Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for MVP 851 DVD player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Audioquest Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for MR87 tuner
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from ActivXO crossover to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to ActivXO; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals for D1100; MVP881 BR player; MCT500 transport; Wilson Audio ActivXO electronic subwoofer crossover; plinth for Thor subwoofer made of X material with the Wilson Acoustic Diodes; eight Wilson Audio Heavy (red) Pedestals placed under the MC3500MKII mono blocks (four placed under the rails of each amp)
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.

Last edited by Charles; 01-18-2024 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 11:19 AM

Appreciate the thoughts!

and Charles - I will let you know if end up going down the 1.25KW route....there is a great allure/appeal to the 3500, however, and I feel like that may be what I REALLY want!

On a separate topic, I am also hugely tempted by the MCD12000 as a spinner and DAC...the c1200 is quite nice, also, but I am not feeling the upgrade pull on that as much over my current c1100 preamp!

What I also need to decide is whether to try and pull the trigger on anything in the 75th anniversary form. I know the products are no different than the non-anniversary but there is irrational temptation on that front too lol

Last edited by ufguy73; 01-23-2024 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Appreciate the thoughts!

and Charles - I will let you know if end up going down the 1.25KW route....there is a great allure/appeal to the 3500, however, and I feel like that may be what I REALLY want!

On a separate topic, I am also hugely tempted by the MCD12000 as a spinner and DAC...the c1200 is quite nice, also, but I am not feeling the upgrade pull on that as much over my current c1100 preamp!

What I also need to decide is whether to try and pull the trigger on anything in the 75th anniversary form. I know the products are no different than the non-anniversary but there is irrational temptation on that front too lol

I would actually prefer your C-1100 over the C-12000 for myself. Are you into vinyl? The phono Stage for the C-12000 is significantly improved over the C-1100. I'm not into vinyl and never will be. I think that the main difference between the C-1100 and C-12000 is the phono stage and the greatly improved flexibility being able to choose between solid state and tube. The C-12000 is a true bargain if you have the money. Look up the review of the C-12000 in the recent Stereophile. The measured performance is amazing. JA calls it among the best that he has ever measured. It received an A+ in every category and I suspect the MCD12000 would, if reviewed receive the same measured performance. I want gear that measures well and sounds good too. I want gear that meets its published specifications. The more expensive the gear, the more lousy it measures, usually. Typical examples of this are expensive tube amplifiers that don't come close to meeting their wattage specs. I won't name names.

The MC3500 is guaranteed to meet all its published specs and I understand that it will do 500 watts. It has a S/N ration of 120 dB and distortion of less than .3%. And the Mac tube sound is beyond compare. All this for 30K. I love mine. I think that you are on the absolute right track. I would go with the 3500/MCD12000/C-12000. Your B&W's are keepers. I almost never buy used gear but if you do decide to pull the trigger I might be interested in your C-1100.

Best

Charles
New gear on order: MC2.1KW Anniversary power amplifier; C12000 An preamplifier; MCD12000 An SACD/CD player; AQ 1 meter Dragon balanced IC; 2 meter AQ Hurricane HC power cord; 3 meter AQ Hurricane Source power cord; unspecified 3 meter AQ digital coaxial IC and power cord for my backup MVP851 DVD player given as a surprise gift to me by my dealer
Most recent updates: Latest is the last one posted: AQ Diamond USB replaces AQ Coffee; Wilson Audio Specialties Alexx replaced by Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; new subwoofer crossover; new Galaxy Grey Thors Hammer; Wilson Pedestals; heating and cooling completely reworked and reinsulated resulting in a much quieter, cooler, and more efficient room (cost about 10,000.00). McIntosh MCT 500 SACD/CD transport; Wilson Audio Acoustic Diode for XVX Chronosonic; WEL Signature digital Coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection replacing the optical connection; New plinth for Thor subwoofer made of X material with the Wilson Acoustic Diodes; Thor is now off my floor; MC3500MKII mono block amps (2) and two custom granite slabs; Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover; new 75-ohm multi-directional FM antenna for tuner; total of eight additional Wilson Audio Heavy (red) pedestals placed under the MC3500MKII mono blocks; JRiver Media Center 31
Amps: McIntosh MC3500MKII mono blocks (2), McIntosh MC1.25KW’s (3). All amps set on floor on custom made granite slabs
Sources: McIntosh MCT500 SACD/CD Transport, MVP881 BR player, MVP851 DVD player, MR87 tuner, Marantz 510LV Laser Disc player, ASUS laptop USB (JRiver Media Center 31)
Speakers: Wilson Audio Specialties XVX Chronosonic; custom made Wilson Acoustic Diodes
Sub-woofer: Wilson Audio Specialties Thor’s Hammer (1) horizontal lie; custom plinth of X material with Wilson Acoustic Diode feet; Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover
Cables main system: Audioquest WEL Signature speaker cables and balanced IC (preamp to amps); WEL Signature AES/EBU balanced digital IC for CD playback; WEL Signature digital coaxial cable for MVP 881/D1100 digital connection; Audioquest Diamond optical (1) for tuner, (1) for MVP 851 DVD player, and (1) for LD player for total of (3); Audioquest Diamond USB cable; McIntosh MCT cable for SACD playback; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords for total of 8); Thunder HC power cord for MR87 tuner
Cables subwoofer system: Audioquest Redwood speaker cable (1); Wolf balanced subwoofer IC from ActivXO crossover to amp; Wind balanced IC from preamp to ActivXO; Hurricane HC (2) and Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: Audioquest Niagara 7000 (1) and Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines with no. 10 wire straight out of fuse box
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals for D1100; MVP881 BR player; MCT500 transport; Wilson Audio ActivXO electronic subwoofer crossover; plinth for Thor subwoofer made of X material with the Wilson Acoustic Diodes; eight Wilson Audio Heavy (red) Pedestals placed under the MC3500MKII mono blocks (four placed under the rails of each amp)
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD) solid walnut cabinet on large casters; holds all sources and preamp; also, Niagara 7000; 11 feet minimum distance from speakers
AC: Dedicated to this room only, an ultra-high efficiency and quiet recently installed Ruud split system 3-ton heat pump.

Last edited by Charles; 01-24-2024 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2024, 07:23 PM

I researching the topic via old posts...this is what has me nervous about going beyond the 611s..

from member mweston:

"As an owner of a MC602 amp and B&W 801 Nautilus speakers, I can speak from experience that the MC601 mono block amp is more than adequate for your B&W diamond speakers. The 800 Diamond is rated at 1000 watts peak while the 601 can deliver peaks of up to 2400 watts. I would not recommend the MC1.2KW on the grounds of too much power-like ripped cones, and fried tweeters and crossovers. I came to this conclusion after consulting Chuck Hinton at Mcintosh and B&W tech support. Soundwise it is superb and I have a tendency to play it at louder levels because it sounds better."

any additional thoughts on this perspective?
Old 01-30-2024, 03:05 PM

For the first time since having my MC601 the Power Guard flashed a couple times the other day when listing to Jethro Tull - Locomotive Breath. Obviously I turned it down ......... just a smidge.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500
Old 02-05-2024, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I researching the topic via old posts...this is what has me nervous about going beyond the 611s..

from member mweston:

"As an owner of a MC602 amp and B&W 801 Nautilus speakers, I can speak from experience that the MC601 mono block amp is more than adequate for your B&W diamond speakers. The 800 Diamond is rated at 1000 watts peak while the 601 can deliver peaks of up to 2400 watts. I would not recommend the MC1.2KW on the grounds of too much power-like ripped cones, and fried tweeters and crossovers. I came to this conclusion after consulting Chuck Hinton at Mcintosh and B&W tech support. Soundwise it is superb and I have a tendency to play it at louder levels because it sounds better."

any additional thoughts on this perspective?
In my humble opinion this is a fairly common misconception. Regarding solid state amps, the more frequent cause of speaker damage is the amp hard clipping because it doesn't have enough power to supply the speaker the wattage it needs for the loudest passages. It is unwise to drive tube amps into clipping also. The ideal solid state amp for your B&W's is a very large solid state amp that will loaf along at no more than about 10% of its continuous wattage capability. If you don't want to blow your speakers up, don't play them at ridiculous levels. But if you do, you are far more likely to blow them up because of hard clipping rather than clean watts. Take the Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture Telarc Digital DIDZ 10015. This CD has a ridiculous dynamic range and played at loud levels will blow most speakers up. I can tell you that if you rely on the Powerguard or dynamic headroom (2400 watts) of the 661 to play the 1812, you will most likely blow up your speakers because the amp will hard clip. I literally blew up a pair of Thiel CS 5's playing the 1812. The speakers had not been in my house one hour. Powerguard did not work. The speakers had to be returned to Thiel immediately. They were ruined. However, if you have a 1.25 KW that will supply around 1,500 wats/ch of clean watts, most likely your speakers would survive unscathed. The 801's are very robust speakers but all bets are off if your amp hard clips. Never rely on Powerguard as some type of absolute protection. It's comforting to know Powerguard is there, but it does not provide absolute protection. IMO, your 801's need a 3500 or a 1.25KW. A 611 will work but it will not do justice to your speakers. A 3500 will not play as loud as a 1.25KW. On my system my XVX requires about 250 watts from my 3500's run full range LP only 30 Hz. My Thor requires about 800-900 watts which my 1.25KW easily supplies. The volume is set at 58 on my D1100 and the cannons are very loud. I believe I could safely go up another 3 dB well before my amps might begin to clip. BTW, I took the B&W factory tour on YouTube. Very impressive.

Last edited by Charles; 02-05-2024 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:10 PM

I need to clarify that I run my XVX full range. My Thor is run independently of my XVX LP only 30 Hz.

Best

Charles