AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 01-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
Your fortunate, I wonder how others on the Island reacted?
No kidding, I wouldn't be one to normally overreact to something like this, with the frequency that North Korea has been in the news the last year, I admit I would've probably been freaking out a bit. Wonder who's gonna be fired over this? The button guy??

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 01-13-2018, 06:51 PM

Default Ballistic missile threat alert in Hawaii was a mistake

Here’s a guy who knew what to do: open a $500 bottle of whiskey and kiss your ass goodbye.

From the Guardian:

“For some, the prospect of the end of the world was an opportunity to indulge. Joshua Keoki Versola was home alone in Mililani when he received the alert. As he waited for his fiancee to drive home from her place of work, the 35-year-old network engineer opened a bottle of Hibiki 21, an award-winning and expensive Japanese whisky.

“I was about to start pouring drinks and go out in style,” Versola said “What are we going to do in this situation? We really can’t do anything but just try and make the best of it.””
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-13-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Here’s a guy who knew what to do: open a $500 bottle of whiskey and kiss your ass goodbye.

From the Guardian:

“For some, the prospect of the end of the world was an opportunity to indulge. Joshua Keoki Versola was home alone in Mililani when he received the alert. As he waited for his fiancee to drive home from her place of work, the 35-year-old network engineer opened a bottle of Hibiki 21, an award-winning and expensive Japanese whisky.

“I was about to start pouring drinks and go out in style,” Versola said “What are we going to do in this situation? We really can’t do anything but just try and make the best of it.””
A very ignorant person for sure..........I would gather family, seek shelter and PRAY!

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-13-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post

From the Guardian:

With a direct hit on a small island, best thing to do IMHO. Scary world we live in.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Your fortunate, I wonder how others on the Island reacted?
Since the Attack Warning Sirens never went off, I wasn't worried.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:04 AM

According to the Washington Post

Quote:
Around 8:05 a.m., the Hawaii emergency employee initiated the internal test, according to a timeline released by the state. From a drop-down menu on a computer program, he saw two options: “Test missile alert” and “Missile alert.” He was supposed to choose the former; as much of the world now knows, he chose the latter, an initiation of a real-life missile alert. […]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.afaf4a4a2371

They could have designed the system a bit better to avoid this type of easy mistake.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
According to the Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.afaf4a4a2371

They could have designed the system a bit better to avoid this type of easy mistake.
Looks to me like they need to replace the Drop Down Menu on a computer with a big red button and a clear flip up cover like we have all seen in the movies as kids.

Glad it was a false alarm.
Audio Room: CH Precision I1, Esoteric k01XD, Lab 12 Melto 2, Luxman PD-171A TT, Roon Nucleus, Stenheim Alumine Three, Silversmith Fidelium speaker cables, Siltech 680 interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Shunyata Everest,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Luxman L-595A SE, Diapason Neos speakers, HiFi Rose RS150B, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Old 01-15-2018, 11:10 AM

Alarms and warnings are ONLY good if proper systems are developed preventing false alarms so we don't develop the "Crying Wolf Syndrone."

Hopefully no one was injured during this incident. At least this makes us think what to do and where to go.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 01-15-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
With a direct hit on a small island, best thing to do IMHO. Scary world we live in.
Agreed. A nice hit of fine whiskey and hopefully a final shag with his fiancé.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:37 PM
Lifetime audio addict!

Quote:
A very ignorant person for sure..........I would gather family, seek shelter and PRAY!

Ron
Did we read the same post? I believe that he was waiting for his fiancee to arrive. There was NO family there. In case you were not aware, each person reacts differently to an emergency. I should know as I got to see their panicked faces for 29 years after dialing 911. Why are you being so critical because he did not do what YOU would have done? There were reports of people cowering behind their couches.
Speakers Wilson Audio Maxx 3
Cables Transparent Reference Gen 5
Equipment rack and amp stands HRS
Power conditioning Transparent
Power outlets GTX-D(G) Gold-Plated duplex receptacles dedicated 20 amp lines.