AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 11-25-2017, 04:36 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Don’t recall ever hearing that particular combo Stephen but I don’t doubt it. The CJ gear is easy on the ear in general and Magnepan for example used to sound rather lean and analytical with the older, more grainy solid state amps in the past. The CJ pairing was rather good at that time
I have some very good friends that ran a C-J Premier 3 pre and Premier 5 monoblocks with Quads ESL-63s for years and they were quite amazing. Their second set of Quads 2805s (?) gave up the ghost recently (Quad's QC of late has gone into the dumper) so they replaced them with Martin-Logan 13as that also sound fantastic. The big monoblocks put out plenty of current for the M-Ls.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I have some very good friends that ran a C-J Premier 3 pre and Premier 5 monoblocks with Quads ESL-63s for years and they were quite amazing. Their second set of Quads 2805s (?) gave up the ghost recently (Quad's QC of late has gone into the dumper) so they replaced them with Martin-Logan 13as that also sound fantastic. The big monoblocks put out plenty of current for the M-Ls.
Yes ML too. I used to own a pair of ML SL-3 and liked them with tubes. Rogue Audio and VTL but never tried CJ. In fact I’ve never owned any CJ gear, shame.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:56 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Yes ML too. I used to own a pair of ML SL-3 and liked them with tubes. Rogue Audio and VTL but never tried CJ. In fact I’ve never owned any CJ gear, shame.
Its like Schiit gear but with even more transparency, resolution, nuance and refinement. But, predominantly, incredibly musical and natural-sounding.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Its like Schiit gear but with even more transparency, resolution, nuance and refinement. But, predominantly, incredibly musical and natural-sounding.
Golden sound just like the golden color chassis.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:37 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Indeed.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Great to hear from you again and great to review your wonderful review of the GAT, Jerôme!

I know something of what you mean when you speak of how the GAT connects you to the music....at least a bit! I am still really enjoying my CT-5.

The GAT is my dream preamplifier, of course! And an ART SA amplifier.

And to think it all started with a C-J Premier 17LS!

Hello Stephen,

Yes you are right. It is because of your Premier 17LS that I wanted the GAT.
Thanks a lot buddy !
Old 11-26-2017, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
A passionate review from a passionate man.
When are you coming to Belgium Jérôme?!

Thank you Bart !
I will, promise !
Old 11-26-2017, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Don’t recall ever hearing that particular combo Stephen but I don’t doubt it. The CJ gear is easy on the ear in general and Magnepan for example used to sound rather lean and analytical with the older, more grainy solid state amps in the past. The CJ pairing was rather good at that time

Hello Serge,

You know the "golden sound" of historic CJs has changed to a sound much more transparent and neutral. What is still here though is the supreme musicality.
BTW, I have no more Harbeths in my home. I still love a lot the 40.1 though. And I could buy them again. But all the others finally have been outperformed to my ears by other brands.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:08 AM
Retired

Excellent review on what, I am sure, is truly an excellent preamp. If I had the space I would be keeping my CJ Classic Sixty SE amp and finding a CJ Premier LS16 preamp to go with it. However, the new E-270 integrated with phono-card will take the place of three full-sized chassis in my system. Life is sometimes cruel.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-27-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Hello Serge,

You know the "golden sound" of historic CJs has changed to a sound much more transparent and neutral. What is still here though is the supreme musicality.
BTW, I have no more Harbeths in my home. I still love a lot the 40.1 though. And I could buy them again. But all the others finally have been outperformed to my ears by other brands.
Yes, I remember the CJ house sound well from years and years ago. Not familiar with the new voice. I was surprised to read that the ET3 is quite the opposite of what I recall the CJ gear being before.

"I can’t say that the ET3 is a neutral component. Its unique sound signature is audible on every recording. So if you’re one for whom fidelity to the original recording is paramount, you’ll not likely find this preamp to your taste.
I’m a bit surprised at the ET3. The special edition version of this preamp is on most everyone’s recommended-component list. But given the treble emphasis and midrange dynamic exaggerations that the base ET3 model exhibits, I wouldn’t necessarily consider this model a high-end contender. Since I haven’t heard the SE version, it may be significantly more neutral than the base model.
This is not to say that the preamp doesn’t have its charm – only that it isn’t sufficiently neutral to have a long-term place in my system."

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...lifier-review/