AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 02-01-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
I don't have many of the "smaller" Altecs, although the Bolero/890 series has a good reputation. However, I do have a custom set of EV Aristocrat cabinets filled with Altec drivers that sound very nice, and an open baffle set of 604-8Gs that are also sublime. It's not a coincidence that Dennis designed and built the crossovers...
Consider trying the Dueland wire on your speakers. It's

I've got my eye on some Altec duplexes. Temptation. But you only live once.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
Think Altec. The right setup will blow you away....
Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
What model?

Always admired the larger Altecs. In fact, a few years ago I helped a friend on a design and build of three sets of the ultra large Onken/Altecs speakers for himself and his two buddies. Super cool, amazing sound but way too big for my den room system. Always loved the little Altec 19s, but again too big. If I wasn't married, I'd own both sets Never really knew much about the smaller Altecs. Have no clue which ones are good or "great" in the mid size or smaller monitor sizes.

Do you know of a small/mid size Altec model people like to refurbish today?
How large of a cabinet can you handle? A single duplex driver in the appropriate 8-10 cu ft.cabinet is not that large. Perhaps 'The Warden' would approve.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 02-01-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:06 AM

Since I already have one large set now, its unlikely I'll go for two pairs. Gonna definitely go for a stand model type speaker.

Spoke to Omega today. Might check out one of the Omega Super3 High Output Monitors with dual drive units. The size is nice too. Need to sell off some other gear, move some things around and make room over the next 30-45 days. Seems like a nice little speaker.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Since I already have one large set now, its unlikely I'll go for two pairs. Gonna definitely go for a stand model type speaker.

Spoke to Omega today. Might check out one of the Omega Super3 High Output Monitors with dual drive units. The size is nice too. Need to sell off some other gear, move some things around and make room over the next 30-45 days. Seems like a nice little speaker.

I have a pair of those. I also have two other pairs of Omega speakers and some Altec stuff. If I were starting from scratch today I would start with the Omega Super 3HO Monitors, a decent tube amp and source.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:33 PM

I have them, too. I like them very much, but not for everything.

Of the dozen or so amps I've tried on them, the two Inspire amps (2a3 and the HO) were by far the best pairings--bettering even amps over 10x the price...on the Omega HOs, not in general.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:52 PM

can you describe the "first" observation that comes to mind about the sound of the Omega Super 3HO Monitors? What about them makes them sound "different", specifically?
Old 02-03-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
can you describe the "first" observation that comes to mind about the sound of the Omega Super 3HO Monitors? What about them makes them sound "different", specifically?
They sound lot like other high-quality monitors of their size, with a couple of exceptions:

1. They are far more dynamic. The extra driver fleshes out the midbass so they have a similar balance to something like a KEF LS50 but they are probably about 10dB more sensitive.

2. They can get a lot more midbass out of quality solids state amps. My RWA Signature 16 actually provides too much midbass for my taste.

3. The HF is different than most dome tweeters. Not less, just different. However, if your ears are 20 years younger than mine you may feel differently.

The second driver makes this a much better all around speaker, but you do lose a tiny bit of the single driver magic.

I also own a couple of Inspire amps but have not used them on this speaker yet (so far I have only used the RWA and a 421A SET), but IIRC the Inspire amps pretty much put out the Same power into pretty much any sane impedance. I can see this as a great match with this speaker.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:52 AM

STTH - I would be interested in your thoughts of various amps with the HO speakers and your other speakers in general.

I really need to thin the herd and wish to narrow down my options.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco65 View Post

I really need to thin the herd and wish to narrow down my options.

Exactly. Me too. Trying to decide the same type of thing. I'm still new to the Inspire amp to know any better. I don't want to part with my upgraded Cary V12R tube amp or my Cary SA-200.2 amps or their larger speakers and regret it. Wont do it until I find a solid (nice full sounding) speaker match for Inspire KT150 Hot Rod amp. Also, I can't buy or build / try/ re-sell speakers any more. Forum member insight is gonna have to be a means to narrow it down for me too.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:19 PM

TEST#2: Just hooked up my smaller Totem Model 1 Signature Class-A speakers (87db) to the little DH Inspire KT150 Hot Rod amp. Speakers absolutely disappear, a bit more laid back at low volume, absolute pinpoint imaging and all - BUT it takes another 1/4 turn or more of volume to get them to light up a bit more. Does it sound good, yes, however, is it a giant wall of sound, not the same, not like it is when I connect these same Totems Model 1 speakers up to my larger 100w tube amp or 200w solid state amp - only then do they come alive. 93-95db+ speakers in order for sure to hear a larger wall of sound at low volume.

Its clear to me now the little DH amp does really benefit with the right speaker match with more efficiency to hear what the little amp can really do.

Last edited by decooney; 02-03-2018 at 01:29 PM.