AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Denon

Denon Innovator of Digital Audio Technology

Old 04-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Pre/pro gear evolution is far from complete. The entire home theater experience is still rapidly developing, and will remain in a constant state of flux until the steady stream of advanced video scaling, auto room acoustics correction, number of channels required, and signal delivery reach a point of stabilizing. This doesn't even touch on the movie makers constant barrage of code and resolutiuon upgrading, and content control encryption. Until the dust settles, the pre/pro gear you buy today will begin to be obsolete on the drive home from the store.

If you want the best that is available today, then jump on board. If not, then stand on the side lines and watch everyone else enjoy what they are willing to commit to today. Nothing is forever, and a state of the art pre/pro's life is less than two years, tops! This is not new news.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scluer View Post
I thought all processors lost alot of value. Who wants a component switch pre/pro these days?
They DO lose a lot of value -- a quick peek at A-gon will prove that plus even McIntosh does not want MX's back using a trade-in program such as for their amps and pre-amps which hold better value.

Unless the MX150 is really (REALLY) exceptional, it would appear that with the street price of a Denon AVP, the AVP probably is a much better value and the AVP has been proven for a year.

MikeSp
MX150, MC501's (3), MC352's (2), Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains, Aerial Acoustics CC5 for center, and Def Tech surrounds, JL Audio F113's (2) with Sound Anchor Stands, 60 inch Pioneer Kuro, Tivos, Monster HTPS 7000MKII, Oppo BDP-83SE, PS3; dedicated HT still under construction [system used primarily for movies].
Old 04-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Mike.......I think that once the MX150 is in dealer showrooms, there will be keen interest in it, and many high-end systems built around it, despite the price, and leading edge life expectancy. There are a lot of dyed in the wool Mac fans waiting.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-25-2009, 01:09 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Who else here is using the Denon AVP-1HD processor?

Old 04-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Listener in Training

When the MX150 comes out, it should be at a point where it's basically 100% up to date with the latest standards, at least for what I'm seeking. HDMI 1.3a, room correction, etc. It should have a relatively long production run since there doesn't seem to be any new earth-shattering A/V standards on the horizon. Of course, if I'm missing something here please chime in. I also write that as someone who uses my system for music 90% of the time, and regards the multi-channel and video aspects of the system as rounding out the core stereo capabilities.

The Blu-Ray and HD standards are relatively new, so their life cycles (1080p HD standard more than the medium of Blu-Ray itself) have years to play out. As much as I'm a fan of innovation and progress, it's likely these standards will be in place for a long time. They are high-quality, and when you look at the phenomenon of iPod/iTunes/MP3, the case for incremental quality increases, and interconnect improvements is more a case of decreasing returns than ever. Contrary to this is the industry's need for a new format, interconnect, or standard, etc. to make your current gear obsolete.

Maybe in 20 years I'll laugh at this post for being unimaginative, but I certainly expect to still be listening to my 501s and B&Ws at the very least.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 04-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Paul........You made some good points. If AA is still on the Internet in 20 years, searching for that post to re-read and laugh at will be a serious effort.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:16 PM
License to Chill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Who else here is using the Denon AVP-1HD processor?
Me.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Me.
Jeff.......Is the Denon AVP-1HD all that it's claimed to be? How's the room correction function perform for you in your room?

Old 04-25-2009, 04:02 PM
License to Chill

Hi Dan.

The AVP is, for lack of a better adjective, awesome. I've had several different pre/pros over the years. From two different Krells, to several Lexicons going all the way back to their DC-1 and most recently to their MC-12B. The mighty AVP smokes them all. Yes, I admit I'm a tad biased. But just a tad.

I've owned the AVP almost since it's release. In fact, I just celebrated my 1 year anniversary. Whoo-hoo!

The AVP is a fully balanced design that supports all the new audio codecs. Let me tell you, DTS-HD MA rocks! Also, Denon has been very good about releasing firmware updates when needed. Great customer support I might add.

The AVP uses the Audyssey room correction software. I use a mic stand instead of a tripod so there's no contact with my furniture or any other surface that might throw off the calibration. It sounds fantastic.

Two caveats. There's a slight learning curve involved with AVP. It's quite a complex piece of gear. And the manual could have been written better. But besides that, I'm quite happy.

To sum it up, there's a whole AVP owners thread on a different forum, and every owner raves about this pre/pro. Which is quite rare, and tells you how well thought out and designed this pre/pro was.

Just my .02.

Jeff.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jeff.......Thanks. The Denon AVP-1HD is the only pre/prosesser to gain my curiousity in the past year. I have been using a Yamaha 7.1 receiver for the past 3 years in my home theater, and have been thinking it might be time to test drive the Denon AVP-1HD. I was interested in it a year ago, but always give complex gear like the Denon some time in the marketplace to watch for glitches and bugs to surface. The Denon has been getting rave reviews.