Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 11-20-2019, 11:32 PM

Default The XD version of N01

Now true MQA and ES LINK
Discrete DAC like K1X I guess.

https://www.esoteric.jp/jp/product/n-01xd/top
Old 11-21-2019, 10:15 AM

Wow! That is one hell of a great step up and you have single input for L/R ES Link from a transport!
Old 01-19-2020, 09:21 PM

https://dynamicaudio4f.wordpress.com...3%bc%e3%83%88/

A very thorough review, pls use Google.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:00 AM
Racing Hoopties

Default The XD version of N01

The quality of the Google translation is poor and renders the review a confusing mess.

Hopefully we will see an English ‘as a first language’ review soon.

Here is what I got:

ESOTERIC has released N-01XD, a new network player and D / A converter. This model will be positioned as a successor to the N-01 released as a network player and the D / A converter D-02X.

ESOTERIC N-01XD Network DAC

Price ¥ 1,500,000 (excluding tax)

The previous model, N-01, had a lot of digital inputs, but it pushed it to the front as a network player, and I think there was a part where the image as a D / A converter was not attached. Therefore, this time it is called Network DAC.

Overseas product dCS has a D / A converter on the front and one of its functions is network compatible. MSB in the United States and CH Precision in Switzerland are network compatible by attaching an optional module (board) to the D / A converter. It has become.

This time ESOTERIC is aware that it is a D / A converter categorized firmly.

ESOTERIC started a discrete DAC with the D / A converter GrandiosoD-01X. At that time, the company formed products with the Asahi Kasei Corporation in combination, but created a new D / A converter section by assembling circuits using discrete components using original FPGAs. The second model is Grandioso K1X of integrated CD / SACD PLAYER.

There were various opinions about the next-generation model, but we decided to design a model equipped with a discrete DAC as the successor to the D-02X. However, among ESOTERIC, there is a strong awareness that the network player N-01 is also a D / A converter, and this means that we started designing this time as a model that combines the N-01 and D-02X.

Well, the history of ESOTERIC's network players started from N-05 in April 2016, and the flagship N-01 in July of the following year, and released the network transport N-03T in February 2018. . At that time, we are comparing with N-03T + D-02X and N-01.

The article at that time is here.

First, I will explain the specifications of N-01XD.

Body

IMG_2547

IMG_2704.JPG

IMG_2705.JPG

The design of the front panel has also been slightly changed, and the part of the radius is gradual. As for the top plate, it is also used in Grandioso K1X, but it is not completely fixed but has a semi-floating top panel structure.

The front button has a power switch, INPUT switching, MENU button, left and right cursor buttons, and a USB input terminal.

Back panel

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2550.jpg

Analog output

XLR: 1 system (5.0Vrms)
RCA: 1 system (2.5Vrms)

MENU, XLR2 (2nd HOT), XLR3 (3rd HOT), RCA, ESLINK selectable

Digital input

・ Network × 1, (ETHERNET)
Linear PCM: 44.1-384kHz (16, 24, 32bit)
DSD: 2.8, 5, 6, 11.2, 22.5MHz
* 32bit is only integer type

・ ES-LINK 5 x 1 (DUAL HDMI)
Linear PCM (ES-LINK5) 44.1kHz-768kHz (48bit)
DSD (ES-LINK5) 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz, 22.5MHz

・ XLR x 1 (ES-LINK / XLR)
Linear PCM: 32kHz to 192kHz (16, 24bit)
DSD: ESLINK1, ESLINK2, DoP (2.8MHz)

・ RCA x 2
DSD: DoP (2.8MHz)

・ OPTICAL × 1
DSD: DoP (2.8MHz)

・ USB-B x 1
Linear PCM: 44.1-384kHz (16, 24, 32bit)
DSD: 2.8, 5, 6, 11.2, 22.5MHz

・ USB DRIVE
1 front, 1 rear (USB 2.0 or higher recommended)
clock
・ One clock input (10MHz / 50Ω)
・ Clock output (44.1kHz, 48kHz) 1 system

ETC
・ SOFTWARE: This is a terminal for service personnel.
・ Earth terminal

Size / weight
Size: W445mm × H162mm × D438mm
Weight: 26.3kg

Configuration

ESODIS3.jpg

MENU1 (hold MENU button)
・ Up-conversion function
・ Clock setting
-PCM output level setting (can be lowered)
・ Output setting
・ Display brightness
・ Display on / off setting
・ Auto power supply setting (setting to automatically turn off the power)

ESODIS2.jpg MENU2 (Press and hold again when the display changes after pressing and holding the MENU button)
・ PCM filter setting
・ DSD filter setting
・ LAM LED on / off
・ Use of ETHANET
・ REMOTE ON / OFF
·upgrade

Click here for manufacturer site

When listening to the N-01XD this time, the focus was on the N-01 as a network player.
And the difference with the D-02X as a D / A converter.

So I auditioned in order.

IMG_2551.jpg From top to bottom

● N-01XD ¥ 1,500,000 (excluding tax)

● N-01 ¥ 1,400,000 (excluding tax)

● D-02X ¥ 1,500,000 (excluding tax)

■ N-01 VS N-01X

The N-01 has been on display since its release, but it has a very calm personality among ESOTERIC sounds. It has been positioned as a DAC since the time of its sale, and I think this was also aimed at differentiating it from the D-02X. The sound disappears more gently than it has in the high frequency range, and it is a sound that does not get tired even if you listen to it for a long time. The sound image is also in a good position without being retracted too far, keeping the sense of reality. Some customers use K-01XS and N-01 together.

Although it is N-01XD, I think that there is an aging problem, but the sound thickness etc. is better with N-01, but the chromaticness of the sound, the spatial expression, and the approach to music are different at a glance . Especially female VOCAL is remarkable. The sound comes out a little deeper, but the stage feel is wider and the lingering is clearly increasing. However, the power and the goodness of the ears are attractive to the N-01, but the absolute expressiveness is clearly improved.
In classical music, the stage spreads deeper, and the monitor-like expression brings out the musical beauty,
It is rich. Some parts seem to be slightly colored, but I personally like
It is a trend ESOTERIC, and I feel the charm of ESOTERIC up to now plus the high quality and musicality.

■ N-03T + N-01 VS N-03T + N-01X VS N-03T + D-02X

Next, we compared the DACs using the network transport N-03T. For playback, we use Roon, but here we have the program.

I personally had the impression that using the N-01 for the D / A converter and using the N-03T for the transport was much better than the sound of the N-01 alone. However, with regard to this N-01XD, although it has some advantages, I felt that it was enough on its own considering the price.

The combination of N-03T and D-02 has a feeling of low frequency energy, thickness, and high frequency characteristic of ESOTERIC.
By the time it is a sound that is solid and robust. It is true that low-frequency sinking such as rock and jazz
That's where However, when compared with N-01XD, the seriousness is transmitted.
I think this is a part where the taste is divided, but it was a comparison that clearly understands the musical part of N-01XD. I would like to listen to it from now on, but I really feel the appeal of the sound of the discrete DAC and the relationship with the power supply.

ESOTERIC feels that the tendency of the sound is different depending on the generation and model.
Going back in time, the X-01 has three generations (Limited, D2) and the K-01 has two generations (K-01XS).
I feel that the new generation has musical softness. Just an integrated Grandios
o At the time, I felt that K1 changed the tendency of the sound to differentiate between P-02X and D-02X.
The N-01 also slightly changes the tone to differentiate it from the D-02X.

This N-01XD also had the image of an evolutionary ESOTERIC sound. I think it's a great player and DAC.

In the future, cooperation with streaming services such as Amazon Music HD and mora Qualitas is expected.

MQA, which is popular in the world, is fully decoded for data reproduction, and the digital input side also supports MQA.

For ESOTERIC users, DSD transmission differs according to the times. SACD transmission is not possible for models that output with two AES / EBUs. For example, you cannot enjoy DSD by connecting P-01 and N-01XD. Also, the clock is 10MHz input, which is very troublesome when using G-0S.

Conversely, if you have an integrated ESOTERIC player, depending on the model, you can extract the DSD signal from the AES / EBU terminal, and there is also a model that can be connected to the N-01XD.

I would like to organize the area, but if you can consult individually, we will investigate and contact you.

IMG_2701.JPG

Finally, we compared the DAC part of Grandioso K1X, but it was Grandioso K1X.
Grandioso K1X has a list price of 2.8 million, but the performance as a DAC is also proportional to it.

If you want to enjoy SACD well, I think that the pattern of combining Grandioso K1X with N-03T would be recommended, but please be assured that N-01XD is well held as cost performance.

The N-01 and D-02X will be sold as exhibits in the future, so it will be difficult to compare and listen after the sale ends.

We look forward to hearing from you.

* The volume function can be turned on on the application, but this volume function cannot be used due to product specifications.

* Regarding Roon support, we are waiting for certification, but please consult us separately.

January 9, 2020 DYNAMIC AUDIO Kengo Shima
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Last edited by crwilli; 01-20-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:51 AM

I cannot afford the N-01 at this point. Is an XD version of the N-05 planned?
Old 03-06-2020, 06:52 AM

Is an XD version of the N-05 coming in the near future?