AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 09-24-2009, 05:39 PM

SF speakers sound good to me with my set up, keep in mind that speaker set up is extremely important. If you don't space and toe them in just right they sound all together different.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehuff View Post
I had a pretty modest setup with my GM's. I used to have AES Six Pac tube amps with an AES AE3II Pre - Total cost NEW was $3800. I sold them to "upgrade" to a McIntosh MA2275 Integrated at $7k. After 2-3 months with this setup I can say it was a DOWNGRADE.

The AES setup had a HUGE soundstage, dynamics, and when listening to vocals it sounded like the artist was in the room with me. I thought it would get better with the MAC but all it did was make the speakers play louder and fuller.

The 2275 in comparison to the (even smaller) AES setup sounds dull, flat, lifeless and the magic has left. I am pretty upset about it actually and the worst thing is I HAVE TO KEEP THE MAC as no way I could sell for such a loss. My wife would KILL me!

I so miss that AES setup it kills me. I would stay away from McIntosh with the SF Mementos unless you only want to listen to ROCK music. For jazz, vocal, or anything else they will sound dead, muffled, with way too much midbass and there will be little soundstage, no real imaging and vocals will go from "real" to "muffled".

Seriously, for jazz, vocals, and ANYTHING but rock I would go with a Cary SLI80 F1 - $4k new and beats the pants off of my $7500 McIntosh 2275 for sound quality and "magic". Even better would be the six pacs and preamp (they are small) for a little less.

I have heard KRELL with these as well but my ears bled.
I've owned AE gear before as well the MC275 as well as a Cary SLI-80. If you haven't played around with tubes in your 2275, you should. It can easily keep up with the gear you mentioned. Don't give up on it just yet.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:13 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehuff View Post
I

The 2275 in comparison to the (even smaller) AES setup sounds dull, flat, lifeless and the magic has left. I am pretty upset about it actually and the worst thing is I HAVE TO KEEP THE MAC as no way I could sell for such a loss. My wife would KILL me!
Steve,

Much of what I have read about the Mementos tells me that they need a lot of power to sound as they should. Obviously tubes should be a match made in heaven with the speakers; but do you really think the 2275 has enough raw power to drive the speakers to perfection.

Is it really "Mac" that is your problem, or is it lack of sufficient power in the Mac that you bought?

I have used (SS only) much higher powered amps with my Mementos and they are superb to say the least. I would love to try a high powered tube amp - I'll wager that they would be incredible.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .

Last edited by AudioNut; 09-29-2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 10-01-2009, 10:30 PM

Default 2275

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
Steve,

Much of what I have read about the Mementos tells me that they need a lot of power to sound as they should. Obviously tubes should be a match made in heaven with the speakers; but do you really think the 2275 has enough raw power to drive the speakers to perfection.

Is it really "Mac" that is your problem, or is it lack of sufficient power in the Mac that you bought?

I have used (SS only) much higher powered amps with my Mementos and they are superb to say the least. I would love to try a high powered tube amp - I'll wager that they would be incredible.
Well, my 60WPC Six Pacs were less power but sounded much better. My dealer who is now 1800 miles away has his mementos set up with the 2275 and has had them like this for 2 years at least. Over the phone he assured me that the 2275 was plenty of power. He is a platinum Mac dealer.

Its not that it sounds horrible, just different. Gone is the delicacy and the big soundstage. In exchange I get the grunt, more power, ability to play louder and a full, sort of muffled sound.

When I first switched I was upset but after daily listening I started to get used to the MAC sound, or the 2275 sound at least. Then one day after a couple of months I put in another set of AES gear and I was very upset.

The sound opened up like a thick blanket was lifted off of the speakers.

I borrowed the amps and pre from a buddy 80 miles away to do this comparison again.

Basically the mac will give me a little more volume but the AES six pacs are just so much more refined and magical. I can say that the $3700 AES mono amps and pre amp sounded amazingly better than the $7500 2275 with anything jazz, vocal, pop. The 2275 did in fact kill the AES setup with rock, heavy metal and anything with big bass but again the sound of the 2275 is still sort of lifeless. Its big, but kind of dead sounding.

That is the only way to explain it. In any case, I can not sell it so I have to live with it for at least 3 years. I thought of trading it for a 7000 thinking maybe that it had more power and maybe was not as muffled sounding. I dont know.

I do know that the Mementos sounded gorgeous with the little $3700 AES Mono Blocs and Pre Amp system. I should of left it as it was but I always heard of the Sonus/Mac synergy and heard the 2275 was one hell of an integrated. Its a nice integrated but maybe not a great match for these speakers.

I even thought of selling my Mementos but could not do it as I know what they sound like when all is right.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:26 PM

No more to read? I started to be interested on this topic and then gone.... the further posts... no traces..
Old 01-01-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
I have (and love) a pair of Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos - that I am using in a second system. Because of shelf space, etc, I want to find/buy the best integrated amp to use with the speakers.

Obviously cost must be a consideration, but Mac MA-7000, Gamut DI-150, or others of their caliber (at used prices) are not out of the question.

Does anyone have experience with good integrated amps with these (or other SF speakers) that they can share.

Thanks.
How about the Musica by Sonus Faber?
Old 01-02-2010, 10:25 PM

Julian has a MA7000 now... nuff said...
Old 01-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Julian has a MA7000 now... nuff said...
Stephen.......Nuff said!

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 01-02-2010, 11:19 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
How about the Musica by Sonus Faber?
Hey NGeorge,

I actually tried a SF Musica with Cremona Auditors several years ago and thought it a really good match.

I think it would be a little under powered for the Mementos - but it would sound great within its range.

Thanks,

Julian

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 01-02-2010, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the review..

The SF Musica certainly is a BEAUTIFUL amplifier.