AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 11-21-2015, 06:25 PM

Default Shindo Preamp/ T2 with Kiseki Purple

The reviews on this cartridge read pretty spectacular. The Positive-Feedback review says it sounds bad at 400 ohms, but likes to see a load in the 800-1000 Ohm range. So as you might imagine, I was wondering if this might be a good match going through a T2/Shindo Preamp? The Purple Hearts 42 Ohm internal impedance WOULD seem to be a good match. Cheers -Don
Old 11-21-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
The reviews on this cartridge read pretty spectacular. The Positive-Feedback review says it sounds bad at 400 ohms, but likes to see a load in the 800-1000 Ohm range. So as you might imagine, I was wondering if this might be a good match going through a T2/Shindo Preamp? The Purple Hearts 42 Ohm internal impedance WOULD seem to be a good match. Cheers -Don
Don, The Purple Heart doesn't sound like a conventional cartridge. Somewhere I read the a rule of thumb was that a cartridge liked to see at least 10 times it's internal impedance's the load. You'd think 400 would be at least OK since its at the the minimum, but the review made a real point of saying it was bad at that load. I'd be wary of the T2 giving it a load in the 800 to 1000 range it wants to see.

Hopefully there is a way you can demo before making a commitment.

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2015, 05:59 PM

Thanks Bill. It's certainly doesn't make it easier not having the specs of my setup. I think I read/heard somewhere that a given cartridge would be seeing a 300 Ohm impedance going through an A23 SUT and Shindo phono section. However, I certainly can't verify this as being correct. I think demoing a cartridge in my own system would be a pretty unique opportunity. Cheers -Don
Old 11-23-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
Thanks Bill. It's certainly doesn't make it easier not having the specs of my setup. I think I read/heard somewhere that a given cartridge would be seeing a 300 Ohm impedance going through an A23 SUT and Shindo phono section. However, I certainly can't verify this as being correct. I think demoing a cartridge in my own system would be a pretty unique opportunity. Cheers -Don
Thats because specs don't really come into play here in the normal sense. Its a step up, not an active stage. The math tells you very little, its only a rough- very rough guideline. Voicing comes into play as much as the math. When we emailed earlier, I explained that the 42ohm Kiseki is double the EMT and not even close to the ideal. Its almost the same as a Denon 103 which is 40ohms and not appropriate for a T2. 400ohms is the spec for an active stage, not for a step up.

Its hard for me to be truly helpful if you'd like to mix and match rather than using a known and matched system. Its down to trial and error and some guesswork. Nobody can answer your questions, its simply an unknown. Maybe that's enticing for some reason. The unknown must be better than the known... maybe. Or maybe it's just different?

Sorry I can't give you an answer, I don't think you'll find one here either.

Jonathan
Old 11-23-2015, 09:19 PM

Thanks Jonathan. You're correct, the reviewer WAS using an active stage. The review was by Robert Levi in Positive feedback, if anyone is interested. I now understand what you're saying, as far as SUT's being different than an active stage. Jonathan, are you able to clarify a little about the Homage SUT's then. The T1 is obviously best suited for very low impedance, like SPU, Miyabi, Ikeda..., and others in the 2-ohm internal impedance range. The T2 of course is ideal for EMT, and cartridges with an internal impedance in the 24 ohm range. It seems an awful lot of cartridges are in the 6 Ohm range, Dynavector and Ortofon being the first that come to mind. Perhaps there isn't a definitive answer, but would you venture to say which Homage would be more appropriate for a 6 ohm cartridge? Cheers -Don
Old 11-23-2015, 10:00 PM

Keith made the t1 for ortfon/shindo carts. The T2 for EMT. I suspect the answer you will get is if they work for any other carts that is cool but not what they were built for.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:03 PM

The T2 is a dream with my emt. There is a great write up (new) on part time audiophile about Keith and his SUTs. I won't link it as I am not sure if it violates any AA rules. Worth a read, Rafe did a great write up.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 755a View Post
Keith made the t1 for ortfon/shindo carts. The T2 for EMT. I suspect the answer you will get is if they work for any other carts that is cool but not what they were built for.
This exactly.

Jonathan
Old 11-24-2015, 06:03 PM

Much appreciated Jonathan, Bill, 755a. At least I'm aware there's no sure thing. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel here. I'm simply considering an additional turntable setup. I enjoy the EMT, and it's not going anywhere. At the same time, I am leaning toward another brand/flavor, over having two EMT's. Cheers -Don
Old 11-25-2015, 11:10 AM

Question for JH - will the new TSD-15 SUT be better than the Hommage T2 for the TSD-15 cart?

After reading the article referenced - it sounds like it will be... as KA describes the T2 as "pretty good step up for the EMT" and JH states that the new one "brings out the best in the cart." I'm very curious as I have the standard A23SUT w/ my EMT TSD-15 and was considering the T2 - now I think I'll wait for this new SUT.