AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tubes & Valves

Tubes & Valves Upgrades, Spares & General Comments

Old 02-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Retired

Not debating that there is a 6550 is in the power supply, but have never heard of it being used as a rectifier tube, though am certainly willing to learn. However, those aluminum heatsinks make me wonder if your power supply has solid-state rectification and those are something like Hexfred diodes. In my experience tube rectified power supplies use a rectifier tube like the 5AR4 mentioned earlier. If there is no other larger tube in there in addition to the 6550, then am pretty sure your Ref 2 is a solid-state rectified model rather than tube rectified. Here is a pic of a rectifier tube on the left compared to the power tube on the right.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5651.jpg (67.2 KB, 71 views)
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-22-2015, 05:52 PM

I think the problem is with my neophyte understanding of the variety of system components and differences in them. Early in my first writing about this I stated it as the "rectifier tube" replaced in my Ref2 Phono Pre. My apologies, I don't know enough yet to be able to definitively name something a rectifier tube or a Trans-mezmerizer amplifier section. I recall someone saying this would be the primary area I would want to consider changing tubes in first if I did not want to spend for all including the smaller guys, so my mind shortened it up to the Rectifier tube. Last week I learned more about the benefit of the ohm setting adjustments and how that varies from cart to cart and why less can often yield more! One of the reasons I became a part of this group is to learn so thank you for taking time to enlighten me. Please keep it coming. Olskool
Old 02-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Retired

Before I tell you any more you have to promise to take me up in your TBM 900. Or, is that a Mirage? Difficult to tell in the small pic. Either one would do.

Just noticed you are in McKinney. We moved out here from Plano at the end of 2000 when I retired. This winter makes me wish we had stayed in Plano.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 02-22-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Before I tell you any more you have to promise to take me up in your TBM 900. Or, is that a Mirage? Difficult to tell in the small pic. Either one would do.
Please log this as a promise; You get a solid and complete demo ride with me! That Avatar is of a Meridian. I'm the Piper Dealer Rep for North Texas and can make the Mirage or the Meridian happen with minimal problems if you are out this way. Sounds like you got a little aviation in your veins???
Old 02-22-2015, 07:16 PM

I think we are about to get our first real winter dose here tonight or tomorrow. I am going to get the albums lined up and plan to enjoy my snow or ice day here if it happens as predicted. I'm sure you folks aren't looking at this as vacation days weather if you're up north so I'm not trivializing the plight there.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:08 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olskool View Post
Please log this as a promise; You get a solid and complete demo ride with me! That Avatar is of a Meridian. I'm the Piper Dealer Rep for North Texas and can make the Mirage or the Meridian happen with minimal problems if you are out this way. Sounds like you got a little aviation in your veins???
Nice! What a great aircraft. My family is from Wichita, so pretty much in the heart of GA territory with Cessna, Lear, Beech and all. Sad to see the last of the StarShips sitting there when I visit, before being crushed.

Thank you for your generous offer. Will be down to shoot the TX State BPCR Championship in Mexia at the end of April. But, between visiting family in Wichita & Alvarado and hurrying back for our trip to Europe I won't have a spare minute. In the fall, when I'll have a more relaxed visit, if your invitation is open until then, I would be most pleased to take you up on your offer.

That would have been a dream job 'back when'. I flew a fair amount, starting with my uncle's Cessna 172 & then his Cherokee Six back in the mid-60s, and then an Arrow as well as a 177 and 210. But, haven't been up in a GA aircraft since 1994. Was thinking about getting current when 9/11 took place and doing so became even more of a hassle. A number of the engineers I know locally worked at the FAA Tech Center, which is one of this area's largest employers, and have pretty much also reached the same sorry state. Guess we've just become a bunch of "old foggies" that play with our stereo gear.

Lucky me, am going to escape the miserable weather for a few days. Heading down to GA to shoot a 2-day match. Just what is needed to break this 'cabin fever'. Enjoy your albums. And, indeed, ice on the Metroplex roads is always a good time to stay home.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:44 PM

Just looked out the patio windows to the backyard and saw nothing and wondered where the weather went. Looked out front and saw a plant we left out and realized it was going to freeze, went out to get it and it was covered in clear ice. In other words, Ice Day and Vinyl! What a combination! That made me think how cool it is to look forward to the excellent sound replacing the power tubes brought back to my kit"

That BPCR competition looks like a good gathering. When you can get back to town with time to spare the offer will still be standing, to include a meal and a little time listening. Olskool (Larry)
Old 02-23-2015, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Not debating that there is a 6550 is in the power supply, but have never heard of it being used as a rectifier tube, though am certainly willing to learn. However, those aluminum heatsinks make me wonder if your power supply has solid-state rectification and those are something like Hexfred diodes. In my experience tube rectified power supplies use a rectifier tube like the 5AR4 mentioned earlier. If there is no other larger tube in there in addition to the 6550, then am pretty sure your Ref 2 is a solid-state rectified model rather than tube rectified. Here is a pic of a rectifier tube on the left compared to the power tube on the right.
Found this in a 2010 Tone Audio review of the Raf 2:

Past vs. Present

The original REF Phono had a massive compliment of tubes, using 11 6922’s in various loca- tions, a 5AR4 rectifier tube and a 6550 along with another 6922 to

perform voltage-regulator duties, as they have done in some of their other designs. The new REF Phono 2 utilizes four 6H30 tubes along with a FET input stage, as they have in the PH5, 6 and 7. Gordon said, “Using tubes at the input is just too noisy; the input FET’s are the only way to get that low-level signal to emerge from a black background.” The REF 2 Phono also uses solid-state recti- fiers but retains the 6550 as a voltage regulator, this time in con- junction with another 6H30 tube.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:10 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Here's another: "The Reference Phono 2’s power-supply circuit ... has eleven stages of regulation and uses a fifth 6H30 to control a 6550C pentode tube."
Old 02-23-2015, 10:27 AM
Retired

Yep............ solid-state rectification and no rectifier tube in the newer model. Terrific looking piece of gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olskool View Post
Just looked out the patio windows to the backyard and saw nothing and wondered where the weather went. Looked out front and saw a plant we left out and realized it was going to freeze, went out to get it and it was covered in clear ice. In other words, Ice Day and Vinyl! What a combination! That made me think how cool it is to look forward to the excellent sound replacing the power tubes brought back to my kit"

That BPCR competition looks like a good gathering. When you can get back to town with time to spare the offer will still be standing, to include a meal and a little time listening. Olskool (Larry)
Larry - enjoy your day (sounds like a great use of your time to me ) and I'll look forward to meeting in the fall.

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 02-23-2015 at 10:30 AM.